TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Did Tesla just kill the Model S 75D?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by lorenzo_t, May 20, 2018.

1. lorenzo_t

lorenzo_t Member

With last night’s announcement of the Performance Model 3, how do you justify buying a Model S 75D?

Model 3 Performance:
    - 3.5s 0-60mph
    - 310 miles range
    - 155 mph top speed
    - 78k all options included (except autopilot)

Model S 75D:
    - 4.2s 0-60mph
    - 259 miles range
    - 140 mph top speed
    - 74.5k (without any upgrades)

• Funny x 1
  2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

May have to check your insurance.... the difference between a ‘normal’ car and a ‘performance’ car could be substantial. But, yeah, besides that, the car is just a bit larger.

• Like x 1
  3. skitown

skitown Member

They may kill it; no opinion, but I own an 85D and we are also getting an AWD Model 3. The Model S has way more utility for us. In fact, it will be our "SUV" until Tesla entices us to upgrade it.

• Like x 4
  4. Petra

Petra Member

The S is a bigger car and a hatchback. Does the BMW M3 meaningfully cannibalize 5-series and 7-series sales?

• Like x 25
    • Informative x 1
  5. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

That’s like asking if the BMW M3 takes sales from the 5-series. It doesn’t attract the same buyers.

If you want a mid-sized track car, you wouldn’t be looking at the Model S.

If you want a full-sized, soft suspension tuned and more refined car, then you aren’t looking at the smaller Model 3 (especially the Performance).

• Like x 3
  6. bayarea_joe

bayarea_joe Member

Just 2 minor advantages of MS came across my mind: larger screen in proper location and lifetime supercharging

• Like x 4
  7. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Different cars for different markets.

• Like x 6
  8. cablue

cablue Member

Very different cars. We have the S and a 3.

• Like x 4
  9. BHCLUC

BHCLUC Member

Ditto.

10. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

You often get performance overlap between the sportiest top-of-the-line smaller model and base model larger size car from any manufacturer. The S is obviously a much older design too and due a major refresh pretty soon. Again this happens a lot in the automotive industry with staggered model replacements. When the next gen S eventually comes out, the Model 3 will then become the older model etc.

• Like x 1
  11. lg_golfs

lg_golfs Member

No lease on the 3 for now. The 75D will be my go to if there is no announced change in those plans when my 70D lease is up in November. It's almost the same monthly cost and makes more sense for me business wise.

• Like x 2
  12. croman

croman Active Member

No interest in a P3. I have a family and love to take road trips. S75D is plenty fast and powerful.

• Like x 1
  13. lg_golfs

lg_golfs Member

Also let's not currently forget how long it will take for some people to be able to order the P3 where is the 75 is available now.

• Like x 2
  14. SeaDoc

SeaDoc Tesla S 75Du & P3D+

Love my S. 3 needs a heads up display on the dual motor, with white interior, before I buy the 3... I’m in the ready to configure mode... just waiting... Tesla, are you listening?

15. Bebop

Bebop Active Member

My hope is they kill the 75D

And Bring back insane mode and have that as standard options on the new base Model S.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  16. RedMS

RedMS Member

....and have it cost 10-20k more?

• Funny x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  17. Skipdd

Skipdd Member

I was actually hoping for this. In 2 - 2.5 years, I will be looking to change out my current leased S 100D, and would like a slightly smaller version but don't want to give up the sportiness (speed), range, or AWD. Instead of leasing at that point, I'd probably just buy and call it a day.

• Like x 1
  18. roblab

roblab Active Member

HAha. Very concerning. So you already have "heads-up" on your dual motor S, and it has a white interior? Do you have any car with heads-up with a white interior? BMW? Volvo? Lexus? Mazda? As for buying the 3, I'm in the already configured already got mine mode. Why are you waiting? More than likely because there are 400,000 orders in front of you. I don't think Tesla cares much about people with set ideas about what they want. If you don't buy what they've got, somebody else will. That's profit. For the next two years. I got mine because it's electric. All those "heads-up" cars aren't.

Why are people so ga-ga about heads up? They still want to fiddle with the radio, use the cell phone, and crash with amazing regularity into cars ahead of them rather than look out the front window. Heads-up? How about "brain-on" first. Glancing six inches below the window isn't what's causing the accidents. That's why it's illegal in CA to drive holding a cell phone.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  19. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Yeah that ^^

• Like x 1
  20. SeaDoc

SeaDoc Tesla S 75Du & P3D+

The absence of the speedometer/tachometer behind the steering wheel is too much of a leap for me. I know people don't mind looking at the left side of the center monitor for all their information, but I think a head's up display would be an ideal option for those of us who 'have issues'... to each is own...

• Like x 3