TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Matias, May 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

I prefer the Model 3 dash to the other ones that have been posted in this thread. I think the Model 3 dash looks very zen.

Is it perfect? Probably not, but perfection is pretty much impossible.

• Like x 2
  2. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

80B4E0D8-6FED-4B2C-BC3F-5203D008BE1B-5652-0000041B7FFB4F5C_tmp.jpg B38B612D-F0A3-451B-BF77-B8B108D7389F-5652-0000041B6FCD2630_tmp.jpg How about these...

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  3. Ciaopec

Ciaopec Reservations at Restaurant at Universe end

Close to where SpaceXploration begins: 32952
    Unknown.jpeg
    DRAGON V3.....

• Like x 2
  4. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Like all the current cars with mechanical speedometers have two just in case? Or was there something else on the dash that is mission critical and will end up on a flatbed? Perhaps they should have two starter solenoids or two ignition switches?

• Like x 1
  5. N5329K

N5329K Active Member

I have an aircraft whiskey compass in my car. But that's just my own weirdmobile-ness.
    Robin

• Like x 1
  6. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

7. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

#47 sandpiper, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
    That's 100% correct. But as with everything, the design has to be done to eliminate bad consequences from single points of failure. So on an aircraft you need redundant screens with failover, redundant AHRS units, and some sort of battery backed system to deal with electrical failure. The issue with the old style un-integrated systems, is that they rely on one highly unreliable piece of hardware - the nut be hind the wheel (or yoke as the case may be). Yes, you have the Airbus situation, and I don't want to minimize that. But, on the whole, well designed electronically controlled machines are far more reliable than manually controlled systems. I used to fly an early 80s pressurized Cessna twin. And I can tell you ... there was ALWAYS something on panel not working.

For the Model 3... the issue is really just one of aesthetics. The car is a rolling computer in any case - just like the S and X. It doesn't matter if you attach multiple displays, buttons, dials, gages or whatever else to it. The reality is that if the MCU fails then the car will not operate correctly or at all. Could a second display help? Maybe a little. But I haven't heard of many displays failing. MCUs, yes a few. But not displays.

8. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

I used to have one too. :) Pilot thing.

9. Chris L

Chris L Member

I love the simple Model 3 dash, because I love to drive. All you need to drive the Model 3 is the one pedal (single-pedal speed control), and the steering wheel. Your eyes are free to look outside the car (where they and your mind should be focused). The BMW and other ICE interiors are cluttered messes. (And I'm an old guy with a pilot's license, albeit one who has used iMacs since 1985.)

• Like x 6
  10. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

I still like the TT:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like x 3
  11. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Active Member

#51 eye.surgeon, May 29, 2017
    This "no vents" thing is going to be the FWDs of the M3. A pointless affectation which is inferior to the proven design it replaced. There will be lots of complaints when it's 110 degrees in AZ and you can't point a vent right at your face but instead have to wait for the whole car to reach a comfortable temp.Tesla hasn't yet learned to say NO to experimenting with proven solutions. Innovation on the drivetrain level is great, innovating with solved problems is not.

• Like x 8
    • Disagree x 3
  12. J1mbo

J1mbo Active Member

Looks nice, but the problem with this UI is the jog dial. Way more distracting and way less user friendly than a touch sceeen.

13. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

It appears to me that the M3 dash is at least 6" lower than the BMW3 series. More visibility, less garbage in the way.

• Like x 4
  14. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

#54 dhanson865, May 29, 2017
    I think you are right on the potential downside. I'm guessing they did this to reduce cost drastically.

It isn't just less hose and less vent faces. It's less everything that comes into the dash area. Vast reduction of intrusions, wires, hoses. Simplifies assembly, uses less raw materials.

I still will miss one adjustable directional vent in the center or near center dash. I'm used to being able to redirect flow to a passenger if they are there and want more cold, being able to close passenger side vents or point them to the drivers side if I'm the only one in the car (and run the AC on a lower fan setting), or even redirect airflow depending on which side of the car the sun is on as I travel around a corner or curve.

I somehow doubt the Model 3 will have the AI changing vent settings based on the position of the sun and the weight sensor in the passenger seat.

edit: and I'll also miss having my phone mounted in front of an AC vent. Charging a phone in a car can make it quite hot. If I dash mount in the Model 3 it'll be in full sun making it hotter. Having AC blow directly on the back of a phone is a good thing.

Hmm, I don't think a dash mount is viable for the driver because the center screen is so close to the steering wheel. It's going to have to be a windshield mount hanging down over the center screen. I wonder if there is a place to even mount a cell phone that won't be an issue in the Model 3.

15. NerdUno

NerdUno Member

Something to be said for focus groups when it comes to user interfaces. Model 3 screen with critical and other information is less than convenient to the driver without taking full attention away from the road ahead. That's dangerous, period.

• Disagree x 4
  16. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

Never ceases to amaze me the interest people have in the mundane.

Also, how the serially negative posters latch on to it.

• Like x 8
    • Disagree x 5
    • Love x 1
  17. trmmcd

trmmcd Member

I have an X that I love to drive. One of the reasons I love it is that I just get in the car, put it into drive and go. When I am done, I put in park and leave the car. Pretty much everything is automatic - lights, windshield wipers, parking brake, locking, starting, temperature. I control navigation with my voice. I primarily only interact with the screen to control the radio and watch my route. Autopilot and TACC is controlled by a single stalk on the steering column. While we don't know for sure - I am hopeful that the Model 3 will adopt the make it all automatic methodology. Almost all of the controls in a typical car can either be automated or readily reduced to control by a single touch screen.

Regarding the vents - I have come to dislike the noise the traditional A/C vents make in the X. I am hopeful that the new venting in the Model 3 will be silent.

I will admit that I was initially put off by the look of the Model 3 interior. The X does have an instrument cluster in addition to the main control screen. I use that to monitor autopilot and speed so I will miss that. Although if the promise of self driving is fulfilled - that will readily be extraneous as well.

• Like x 1
  18. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

Here is a lightened up version of the dashboard:

model_3_rc_dashboard.jpg

19. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

Why attack people? Let's just stick to talking the interior and offering our views.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  20. X-Auto

X-Auto Member

meme-model-3-driver-wanted.jpg

anyone knows this guy? :D

• Funny x 5
    • Informative x 1