Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
80B4E0D8-6FED-4B2C-BC3F-5203D008BE1B-5652-0000041B7FFB4F5C_tmp.jpg
B38B612D-F0A3-451B-BF77-B8B108D7389F-5652-0000041B6FCD2630_tmp.jpg
How about these...

The older Cessna had a lot of information available but was only semi-integrated. You needed a good "scan" to keep up with things, but, when a screen went dark you had other places to look and other sources of information to work with. Not a bad thing.
The newer Cessna goes a lot further down the road of total information integration. And that can be a fine thing (I remember flying behind my first HSI and thinking, "wow, this is easy!). But if one of those Cosmic Screens goes dark, or wonky, you're in a dicier situation. Pilots used to looking in only a few places for data tend to not do well when coping with system failure, or multiple system failures. Witness Air France's pilots unable to cope with airspeed loss- something every student pilot learns to cope with- , and so they flew their perfectly functional jet into the sea.
What does this mean in a car with just one display? Well, the stakes are far lower than in an airplane for sure. But single point failures are going to put Model 3's onto flatbeds for sure. That might be an annoyance, or something more than an annoyance. It surely is not conservative design, and I think it will prove to be a " tail that wags the dog" mistake where a design directive- just one screen!- ends up causing a lot of collateral damage down the road.
Or alongside the road.
Robin

Like all the current cars with mechanical speedometers have two just in case? Or was there something else on the dash that is mission critical and will end up on a flatbed? Perhaps they should have two starter solenoids or two ignition switches?

Reactions: Saghost
The older Cessna had a lot of information available but was only semi-integrated. You needed a good "scan" to keep up with things, but, when a screen went dark you had other places to look and other sources of information to work with. Not a bad thing.
The newer Cessna goes a lot further down the road of total information integration. And that can be a fine thing (I remember flying behind my first HSI and thinking, "wow, this is easy!). But if one of those Cosmic Screens goes dark, or wonky, you're in a dicier situation. Pilots used to looking in only a few places for data tend to not do well when coping with system failure, or multiple system failures. Witness Air France's pilots unable to cope with airspeed loss- something every student pilot leadns to cope with- , and so they flew their perfectly functional jet into the sea.
What does this mean in a car with just one display? Well, the stakes ar far lower than in an airplane for sure. But single point failures are going to put Model 3's onto flatbeds for sure. That might be an annoyance, or something more than an annoyance. It surely is not conservative design, and I think it will prove to be a " tail that wags the dog" mistake where a design directive- just one screen!- ends hp causing a lot of collateral damage down the road.
Or alongside the road.
Robin

That's 100% correct. But as with everything, the design has to be done to eliminate bad consequences from single points of failure. So on an aircraft you need redundant screens with failover, redundant AHRS units, and some sort of battery backed system to deal with electrical failure. The issue with the old style un-integrated systems, is that they rely on one highly unreliable piece of hardware - the nut be hind the wheel (or yoke as the case may be). Yes, you have the Airbus situation, and I don't want to minimize that. But, on the whole, well designed electronically controlled machines are far more reliable than manually controlled systems. I used to fly an early 80s pressurized Cessna twin. And I can tell you ... there was ALWAYS something on panel not working.

For the Model 3... the issue is really just one of aesthetics. The car is a rolling computer in any case - just like the S and X. It doesn't matter if you attach multiple displays, buttons, dials, gages or whatever else to it. The reality is that if the MCU fails then the car will not operate correctly or at all. Could a second display help? Maybe a little. But I haven't heard of many displays failing. MCUs, yes a few. But not displays.

Last edited:
I love the simple Model 3 dash, because I love to drive. All you need to drive the Model 3 is the one pedal (single-pedal speed control), and the steering wheel. Your eyes are free to look outside the car (where they and your mind should be focused). The BMW and other ICE interiors are cluttered messes. (And I'm an old guy with a pilot's license, albeit one who has used iMacs since 1985.)

This "no vents" thing is going to be the FWDs of the M3. A pointless affectation which is inferior to the proven design it replaced. There will be lots of complaints when it's 110 degrees in AZ and you can't point a vent right at your face but instead have to wait for the whole car to reach a comfortable temp.Tesla hasn't yet learned to say NO to experimenting with proven solutions. Innovation on the drivetrain level is great, innovating with solved problems is not.

Last edited:
This "no vents" thing is going to be the FWDs of the M3. A pointless affectation which is inferior to the proven design it replaced. There will be lots of complaints when it's 110 degrees in AZ and you can't point a vent right at your face but instead have to wait for the whole car to reach a comfortable temp. I Can't help but think that Tesla hasn't yet learned to say NO to experimenting with proven solutions. Innovation on the drivetrain level is great, innovating with solved problems is not.

I think you are right on the potential downside. I'm guessing they did this to reduce cost drastically.

It isn't just less hose and less vent faces. It's less everything that comes into the dash area. Vast reduction of intrusions, wires, hoses. Simplifies assembly, uses less raw materials.

I still will miss one adjustable directional vent in the center or near center dash. I'm used to being able to redirect flow to a passenger if they are there and want more cold, being able to close passenger side vents or point them to the drivers side if I'm the only one in the car (and run the AC on a lower fan setting), or even redirect airflow depending on which side of the car the sun is on as I travel around a corner or curve.

I somehow doubt the Model 3 will have the AI changing vent settings based on the position of the sun and the weight sensor in the passenger seat.

edit: and I'll also miss having my phone mounted in front of an AC vent. Charging a phone in a car can make it quite hot. If I dash mount in the Model 3 it'll be in full sun making it hotter. Having AC blow directly on the back of a phone is a good thing.

Hmm, I don't think a dash mount is viable for the driver because the center screen is so close to the steering wheel. It's going to have to be a windshield mount hanging down over the center screen. I wonder if there is a place to even mount a cell phone that won't be an issue in the Model 3.

Last edited:
I have an X that I love to drive. One of the reasons I love it is that I just get in the car, put it into drive and go. When I am done, I put in park and leave the car. Pretty much everything is automatic - lights, windshield wipers, parking brake, locking, starting, temperature. I control navigation with my voice. I primarily only interact with the screen to control the radio and watch my route. Autopilot and TACC is controlled by a single stalk on the steering column. While we don't know for sure - I am hopeful that the Model 3 will adopt the make it all automatic methodology. Almost all of the controls in a typical car can either be automated or readily reduced to control by a single touch screen.

Regarding the vents - I have come to dislike the noise the traditional A/C vents make in the X. I am hopeful that the new venting in the Model 3 will be silent.

I will admit that I was initially put off by the look of the Model 3 interior. The X does have an instrument cluster in addition to the main control screen. I use that to monitor autopilot and speed so I will miss that. Although if the promise of self driving is fulfilled - that will readily be extraneous as well.

Reactions: cdub