Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good luck with that working anytime soon, probably right after the automatic wipers work.

On another note, The Teslarati article about the Navdy HUD says that unless one uses the Navdy HUD the Model 3 will be unsafe to drive!
http://www.teslarati.com/sponsored/?prx_t=qeICAvQkRA1xYQA

The Model 3 is designed for simplicity and autonomy, it only makes sense to make certain functionality voice based. If I can control my house with Google Home, I'm positive Tesla can bring similar functionality to the Model 3. I'm waiting for AWD anyway, so I've got time.

Reactions: Red Sage
Good luck with that working anytime soon, probably right after the automatic wipers work.

On another note, The Teslarati article about the Navdy HUD says that unless one uses the Navdy HUD the Model 3 will be unsafe to drive!
Hmmm. Looked to me like someone trying to sell navdy and using FUD regarding standard UI to sell it. Personally I'm going to drive 3 before judging it. Conceptually, I see no reason at all single screen can't work on par with conventional cockpit instrumentation.

Navdy requires OBD-II port... wasn't there a rumor from Trevor Page that the Model 3 might not have an OBD-II port...

Just to clarify it, again. I don't want switches and knobs, steam gauges, or anything, I just don't like the floating screen.
What I want it to be is like in my Model S.

One integrated big screen and a smaller one for the driver, as long as the car can't drive itself (Or as long as I want to drive it myself, the M3 will hopefully be quite the fun car to drive, I expect it to be). I think it looks ascetically nicer that way, but maybe that means I want a steam engined BMW, who knows...
'K cool. But you won't be getting what you want. Others have been rather vocal that they want the Model ☰ to be more like what you would find in an Acura TLX, Alfa Romeo Giulia, AUDI A4, BMW 3-Series, Infiniti Q50, Jaguar XE, Lexus IS, or Mercedes-Benz C-Class instead.

"Man... That's all you had to say! AUDI!" -- Samuel L Jackson as Jules 'PULP FICTION' (1994)

There is a huge inherent difference between a knob and a touch screen. My Bolt has two knobs, one for volume, small, and one for A/C température, large. I can operate either without taking my eyes off the road by simply feeling the size of the knob. Most modern cars, like the
Bolt,
support Android Auto or Apple Car Play which allow text to speech reading of incoming text messages and dictation of outgoing messages allowing safe texting while driving.
Note the Model S steering wheel has buttons and scroll wheels to do the same thing. From the spy pictures the Model 3 will have similar steering wheel controls.

I think you may be conflating "interior" and "dash," and possibly over-estimating the amount of people that would consider the dash a deal breaker.

We'll soon find out.

Well the dash is the thing in the front that you are facing 99% of the time so it is a big part of the "interior" to get right.
Yeah your right I over estimated that "everybody" would want to buy a Tesla, its probably a lot smaller than that.

The Model 3 is designed for simplicity and autonomy, it only makes sense to make certain functionality voice based. If I can control my house with Google Home, I'm positive Tesla can bring similar functionality to the Model 3. I'm waiting for AWD anyway, so I've got time.

Ew. Voice controls. I find it faster to just press a button. IMHO voice controls are a step above a gimmick. Never have seen someone in public use Siri or Google Assistant on their phone. Plus I learned English as a second language, bouncing between teachers who had accents from Midwestern to Australian. Siri or Google can't understand what the hell I'm trying to convey when I speak naturally.

There is a huge inherent difference between a knob and a touch screen. My Bolt has two knobs, one for volume, small, and one for A/C température, large. I can operate either without taking my eyes off the road by simply feeling the size of the knob. Most modern cars, like the
Bolt,
support Android Auto or Apple Car Play which allow text to speech reading of incoming text messages and dictation of outgoing messages allowing safe texting while driving.

I control the volume and air temperature using the steering wheel knobs in my Tesla. The Model 3 has steering wheel knobs as well.

(edit: stopcrazypp beat me to it.)

And, when you make a steering wheel adjustment on the Model S or X, guess where the feedback appears so that you know what you're doing??
On my Prius the feedback is displayed on the center screen...
2007_toyota_prius_dashboard.jpg

I believe Model 3 will be both easier to read and more convenient.

And, when you make a steering wheel adjustment on the Model S or X, guess where the feedback appears so that you know what you're doing??

Now I'm confused as to the point being made. The assertion I was replying to was that it was better to have knobs for controlling the volume and temperature than a touch screen. The feedback for volume and temperature appears in the same place in pretty much every car, i.e. the center console (actually the feedback for volume goes into my ears).

On my Prius the feedback is displayed on the center screen...
2007_toyota_prius_dashboard.jpg

I believe Model 3 will be both easier to read and more convenient.

Prius speedometer is high up. Model 3's speedometer is closer to the relative position of the start/stop button. In addition, go upmarket in Toyota's option, the center display disappears in favor for traditional instrument clusters.

Prius speedometer is high up. Model 3's speedometer is closer to the relative position of the start/stop button. In addition, go upmarket in Toyota's option, the center display disappears in favor for traditional instrument clusters.

Eh, the upscale models of most cars also for some reason still have analog clocks. There are some completely useless and stupid things people seem to like because they are used to it. Analog clock and wood paneling automatically means high end, even though there are better and cheaper options.

Eh, the upscale models of most cars also for some reason still have analog clocks. There are some completely useless and stupid things people seem to like because they are used to it. Analog clock and wood paneling automatically means high end, even though there are better and cheaper options.

The analog clocks are meant to evoke a luxury feel. Besides, most clocks & watches are still analog. Most watch users have an analog device on their wrists.

• Disagree
Reactions: Matias and Red Sage