Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMHO, the Model S interior is simple and elegant.
The Model 3 interior goes much further than simple, it is Spartan, and there is nothing elegant in that.
I cannot judge based on a picture whether it is functional, I'll have to reserve judgement on that until I can test drive one.
The screen does look tacked-on, like a hobby add-on, not something that was designed originally for the car.

I'd like to say that until we see the final reveal, it's very hard to know what's what. And even when we get the final initial version, it is just the initial version. It's the base RWD model. We won't see the AWD version until months later. Plenty of time to provide feedback for more upscale options. It just means that Tesla needs to put together a $2,500 to $5,000 premium instrumentation/performance package if there really is demand for it beyond whatever is in the final 3. Once we know, those that inclined to pay more for such a package or want a performance vehicle version should make their preferences known. And let them know you'd pay for it.

I'd like to say that until we see the final reveal, it's very hard to know what's what. And even when we get the final initial version, it is just the initial version. It's the base RWD model. We won't see the AWD version until months later. Plenty of time to provide feedback for more upscale options. It just means that Tesla needs to put together a $2,500 to $5,000 premium instrumentation/performance package if there really is demand for it beyond whatever is in the final 3. Once we know, those that inclined to pay more for such a package or want a performance vehicle version should make their preferences known. And let them know you'd pay for it.

That's also my thought. No one confirmed a floating display at this point. That floating display will be the anti-3 sell though we really don't have many BEV choices for this or next year when many of us are gunning for the government incentives.

If that is the final design, hopefully it won't be wobbly.

Better the life of the party than not being at the party at all. I'll wave as I drive by when I see you pulled over by the Chippers. :D

The line between driving miss daisy and driving like a maniac teenager is not that fine.

Driving AT the limit is criminal because all cars are under clocked anyways.

I obey the basic speed law: Drive as fast as conditions permit.

Not that afraid of chippers. 20 tickets over an entire life of driving is not worth being grandpa magoo.

This "no vents" thing is going to be the FWDs of the M3. A pointless affectation which is inferior to the proven design it replaced. There will be lots of complaints when it's 110 degrees in AZ and you can't point a vent right at your face but instead have to wait for the whole car to reach a comfortable temp.Tesla hasn't yet learned to say NO to experimenting with proven solutions. Innovation on the drivetrain level is great, innovating with solved problems is not.

Not sure this will actually be a problem for you since you will use your smart phone to remotely set the temperature you want.
Not a perfect analogy but when you walk into a house or business with central air there is no need to point a vent at you while you wait for a comfortable temperature.
I'd be interested from Model X/S owners how well this feature works especially in a hot climate like AZ.

Reactions: Petra
Not sure this will actually be a problem for you since you will use your smart phone to remotely set the temperature you want.
Not a perfect analogy but when you walk into a house or business with central air there is no need to point a vent at you while you wait for a comfortable temperature.
I'd be interested from Model X/S owners how well this feature works especially in a hot climate like AZ.
I live about 25 minutes outside of Mojave, CA and, while it's not as hot as some parts of AZ, we certainly get hot summers out here. The cabin preconditioning in my S works well and it works quickly (solid roof, no window tint). I think it's early to assume that there's no user control of air direction in the Model 3 (I can think of a few ways it could work) but, either way, I'm not too worried about it due to the effectiveness of preconditioning. A buddy of mine with a pano roof equipped S out here has had similar experiences with summer heat.

It works well on the Model S as long as you have good cell service where you park. At work, my car can connect only 50% of the time (poor AT&T coverage) so I can't get it working a lot. I keep a sunshade in the windshield while parked for those 110 degree days.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and SpiceWare
It works well on the Model S as long as you have good cell service where you park. At work, my car can connect only 50% of the time (poor AT&T coverage) so I can't get it working a lot. I keep a sunshade in the windshield while parked for those 110 degree days.
Has the [mostly useless] Smart Preconditioning feature been at all helpful for you given your cell signal situation?

Has the [mostly useless] Smart Preconditioning feature been at all helpful for you given your cell signal situation?

I think it has helped. Real test will be soon as we get more hot days strung together. Weather has been weird this spring. Doesn't help that I have a pano and black leather seats. But, go big or go home is what I figured, LOL.

All of the discussion of the interior.... What this will ultimately be is walk up to the car, open the door, put in drive, tell it where you want to go and you are done. The screen will be helpful for picking radio stations, configuring how you want some aspects of the car to work, watching your progress towards your destination, browsing the web and fine tuning the interior temperature. If you want lots of physical dials, controls, menus, switches - this is not the car for you. I know this will be a big adjustment for many, but I believe that after a week of actually driving/owning the car - it will all make sense.

No thank you. I can do that now with a touch of my phone and I don't have to lay out tens of thousands of dollars.
You are absolutely correct if you just need to get around town. There is absolutely no need to own a car in a major metropolitan area. If on the other hand - you need to travel distances - the super charger network combined with driver assistance and ultimately automated driving is a different altogether. I recall driving from NY to Ohio when my navigation system told me next turn in 450 miles - boy was I excited to be behind the wheel.