Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
>> Waiting for an EV with Tesla's technology and torque with Mercedes's quality interior and features with much faster charging

If you don't mind me saying, you really ought to be waiting for the MB EV due soon. Mercedes to unveil electric hatchback concept at Frankfurt | Autocar

Very unlikely Tesla be interested in or try take interior design cues from the current bunch. Theit market share however Tesla will be very interested in :)
Another electric concept for the roadmap. It might be entertaining to start looking at press releases from 3-5 years ago and see how many of these have come and gone.

Another electric concept for the roadmap. It might be entertaining to start looking at press releases from 3-5 years ago and see how many of these have come and gone.
I'm still waiting for this Infiniti. Cancelled because wireless charging standards have not been established yet. Yeah, right.

images

• Helpful
Reactions: cdub and Waiting4M3
When I look at the BMW interior vs Model 3 I see over complexity and dirt traps. I had a BMW 5 series and the dash looked similar. I see a center gear shift that does one thing. For no use other then making someone feel like they are driving a manual transmission car. I dont need that? Do you really? Wouldnt you rather have space and put the gearshift on the steering column. I see all kinds of buttons and dials that will collect dust and be a pain in the ass to clean. Wouldnt you rather have a nice smooth dash that you can easily wipe clean. I tell you that is one of my favorite things about our S. The dash is the easiest to clean out of every car we ever had.

When I look at the BMW interior vs Model 3 I see over complexity and dirt traps. I had a BMW 5 series and the dash looked similar. I see a center gear shift that does one thing. For no use other then making someone feel like they are driving a manual transmission car. I dont need that? Do you really? Wouldnt you rather have space and put the gearshift on the steering column. I see all kinds of buttons and dials that will collect dust and be a pain in the ass to clean. Wouldnt you rather have a nice smooth dash that you can easily wipe clean. I tell you that is one of my favorite things about our S. The dash is the easiest to clean out of every car we ever had.
I'll take easy driving over easy cleaning. Buttons and knobs allow for easier driving than touchscreens, which are overrated for car interfaces. And if you hate cleaning things, touchscreens require far more cleaning than buttons and knobs do.

I'll take easy driving over easy cleaning. Buttons and knobs allow for easier driving than touchscreens, which are overrated for car interfaces. And if you hate cleaning things, touchscreens require far more cleaning than buttons and knobs do.
In terms of the controls that I use on my 2004 Prius, I would say 90% are on my steering wheel, 5% on my touchscreen and 5% on the center console. I'm waiting to see what the steering wheel on the M3 can control and how it does it. The touchscreen can be more tedious if the car has a bumpy ride, and you can't take your eyes off the road to see where your finger is. In the M3, with AP2 running, I hope using the touchscreen will be easier. Overall I think the M3 will be a lot easier to drive than my 2004 Prius.

Even the lack of AC vents is a solution in search of a problem. Nothing was wrong with directional air vents. Blowing cool air on your head, armpits, hands, etc when you're hot FEELS GOOD.

If all cars had been historically designed without directional air vents, then tesla came along and released directional air vents, they would be praised by the same fanboys who are currently praising the removal of such directional air control. "Musk is a genius for finally creating climate systems that can control the directional flow of the air!"

It's not about improving things, tesla appears just to like changing things to score points with people who need everything to be new and novel, even if the changes reduce functionality or reliability compared to the previous solutions. Touchscreens, auto door handles, gullwing doors, no AC vents all fit into this category of flawed thinking.

Even the lack of AC vents is a solution in search of a problem. Nothing was wrong with directional air vents. Blowing cool air on your head, armpits, hands, etc when you're hot FEELS GOOD.

If all cars had been historically designed without directional air vents, then tesla came along and released directional air vents, they would be praised by the same fanboys who are currently praising the removal of such directional air control. "Musk is a genius for finally creating climate systems that can control the directional flow of the air!"

It's not about improving things, tesla appears just to like changing things to score points with people who need everything to be new and novel, even if the changes reduce functionality or reliability compared to the previous solutions. Touchscreens, auto door handles, gullwing doors, no AC vents all fit into this category of flawed thinking.
I'm really OK with all the criticism on these small details on the M3. If it's any other car no one would be this passionate about the car not fitting exactly what they want, because they can simply go to a competitor that offers a more suitable alternative. This angst towards the M3 speaks more about the lack of options from all the other car makers.

Being called a fanboy, just because I'm personally OK with Tesla's design choice, that is a little insulting.

Being called a fanboy, just because I'm personally OK with Tesla's design choice, that is a little insulting.

Sorry it wasn't not aimed at you. It was describing the multitudes of tesla fans who can never admit than any of elon's decisions are bad, even when he admits them himself. I'm a huge fan of telsa and its mission and i want it to succeed. But I think stupid things like putting everything on a giant ipad are an obstacle to that success.

I don't necessarily disagree with everything you posted here. But if you get in the car on a hot summer day and it's already cooled down, is there a need to point a stream of cold air at your face? When I walk into my air conditioned house after working in the yard, I don't go lay down on one of the air vents...

Also, there's been no confirmation that there aren't directional air vents. They could be hidden in the seam of the dash somewhere.

I don't necessarily disagree with everything you posted here. But if you get in the car on a hot summer day and it's already cooled down, is there a need to point a stream of cold air at your face? When I walk into my air conditioned house after working in the yard, I don't go lay down on one of the air vents...
You're assuming you can always pre condition the car, which won't be true. Even then, many people enjoy cool air blowing on them. Or warm air when it's cold. Tesla is taking away a thing that some people like, for no tradeoff benefit, other than novelty and newness, which many people mistake for "progress".

Reactions: Matias
You're assuming you can always pre condition the car, which won't be true. Even then, many people enjoy cool air blowing on them. Or warm air when it's cold. Tesla is taking away a thing that some people like, for no tradeoff benefit, other than novelty and newness, which many people mistake for "progress".
You have no idea if it's been taken away or not.

Change is hard. People tend to buy what they are familiar with.

People are used to central air and heat in their homes, but rarely have a blast of treated air pointed to their face. In a car, we have different customs. People complained like crazy when automakers eliminated tiny vent windows that would blast in fresh air, but nobody has them anymore. Were great for smokers to flick their ashes out onto the street. There used to be openable air vents in the footwells as well, but they have gone away too.

No one is sure that this is the final dash pictured, however I can see how pure, simple, elegant and inexpensive to rapidly produce such a design that would be.

Makes other dash boards look absurd.

Touchscreens can get a little smudgy, but a quick wipe and done. Getting dust out from a little trim around dials and buttons requires far more work. Thats why our cars with dials and buttons get detailed far more often. They need to. I have had any problems driving my S. The car that had the worst interface to change simple things like the radio station was our BMW. The iDrive system which you used for nearly everything had a nickname. Honey you change the radio station while "iDrive". Now maybe it has gotten better, but it was awful.

Change is hard. People tend to buy what they are familiar with.

People are used to central air and heat in their homes, but rarely have a blast of treated air pointed to their face. In a car, we have different customs. People complained like crazy when automakers eliminated tiny vent windows that would blast in fresh air, but nobody has them anymore. Were great for smokers to flick their ashes out onto the street. There used to be openable air vents in the footwells as well, but they have gone away too.

No one is sure that this is the final dash pictured, however I can see how pure, simple, elegant and inexpensive to rapidly produce such a design that would be.

If the release candidates aren't using the final dash design, telsa is going to need a miracle to change the assembly line and get it tested and running by the time production starts in July. I'd bet my bottom dollar this is it.

Your home never gets as hot as your car sitting outside will, and you're rarely sitting in direct sunlight in your house. If you are, you can just move your chair. Homes also have standing fans and ceiling fans if you want them. I doubt musk is installing ceiling fans in the M3.

Directional air serves a purpose in a car. Getting rid of it just so technology lovers will go "oooo! something new and different! it must be better!" is the same thinking that resulted in the gullwing doors and loss of physical controls.

If the release candidates aren't using the final dash design, telsa is going to need a miracle to change the assembly line and get it tested and running by the time production starts in July. I'd bet my bottom dollar this is it.
Not that I disagree that what we've been seeing is the final dash design, but if it's not, why would Tesla need to change the assembly line? All these RC cars are apparently being hand built. If Tesla has a different dash design planned for the actual release cars, they will have built the assembly line with the final design in mind.