Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have mixed thoughts about the Model 3 interior and can't definitively come down on one side or the other. Background: I have driven only BMWs for the last ~15 years. I agree that BMWs interiors can be considered quite busy and also have non-functional curves and design cues. While I agree with the above, I still find the BMW interiors aestically pleasing and relatively functional.

With regards to the Model 3 interior...I think the majority of design decisions were in support of reduced complexity from a manufacturing perspective (remember Tesla wants to 10x-20x production rate over the next several years). Reduced complexity also includes ability to more easily make right hand drive versions for some markets. With the no vents and no under-wheel dash binnacle displays, that's going to be a lot easier. Cost reduction was clearly also a factor although I'd guess that reduced complexity was more significant than the money saved from less rubber hoses and tubing or even another LCD.

I think another important factor with reducing all of that "stuff" in the dash was the ability to push the front seats forward and the rear seats backward and create an almost Model S-sized interior from a (externally speaking) smaller vehicle.

I'm sure everybody who owns a Model 3 will love the fact that it has "so much room inside" or say that "it's so much bigger on the inside". But how did Tesla make that happen? Clearly, getting rid of extra screens, wiring, tubing, bracketing and the like helped them to make the larger interior happen.

You guys are probably familiar with the phrase "skate where the puck is gong", right? I think that is what Tesla is doing now. The Model 3 will continue to evolve iteratively like the Model S and Model X have. That said, the changes will likely be better and/or bigger batteries, dual motors, increased performance maybe some new options introduced (air suspension, for example), etc. I'd guess the plan is for the basic interior of the Model 3 will roughly remain the same for 5-7 years...just like the Model S. So the fact that full self driving might be 2-3 years away isn't likely being considered an issue for Tesla if they expect that the same interior will roughly exist for at least 5 years. And even if FSD capability is 2-3 years away, level 3 is likely a lot closer...and even with level 3, the dashboard and displays suddenly become much less important. Tesla is simply skating where the puck is going. When Apple introduced the iPhone, many critics bemoaned the lack of a physical keyboard (a la the ubiquitous Black Berry). But Apple withstood the short term "weirdmobile" effect of the full touch screen device devoid of physical keys and we saw how that worked out. I think Tesla is willing to the same thing and they are skating to where they believe the puck is going. Time will tell if it was a good choice.

Having said all of that...I agree with many people here who don't like the 'floating' look of the 15" touchscreen. I don't mind it being in the center of the dash and I don't think the lack of a steering wheel binnacle display will end up being more than a short term adjustment for owners. But I don't like the "add on" look of that 15" display personally.

All in all I am OK with a minimalist interior but I think the 17" integrated touchscreen in the Model S is the best fusion of good looks and minimalism. That's why I ordered a Model S. But I still have my Model 3 reservation and am waiting to pass full judgement on that interior until such time as I can see it in person and drive it.

The "floating" is required because the dash is pushed back farther and lower. They need it to be in easy reach of the driver.

I think that all of your other comments are spot-on. I also like that a guy form California is making a hockey analogy. :)

I think Leonardo de Vinci said it best...

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"

I'm a big fan of Leonardo DV but I prefer Einstein's take:
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
I really think that the Model 3's interior and control layout- bare, uninviting, boring - is a real problem. While the exterior is gorgeous, the interior looks like it was designed by someone who doesn't like cars and thinks you shouldn't either. Maybe this will be as large a problem as the Falcon Wing Doors, maybe not. We'll see.
Robin

I prefer Mies van der Rohe who simplified it even further: "Less is More"

Elon was probably aware of all these thoughts and distilled it further:

"Model 3 interior"

The "floating" is required because the dash is pushed back farther and lower. They need it to be in easy reach of the driver.

I think that all of your other comments are spot-on. I also like that a guy form California is making a hockey analogy. :)

Thanks @MXWing. I think if Tesla had really wanted to, they could have found a solution to the above. I mean the dash "pad" itself could have had "wings" and a small frame built into it rather than the dash pad being flat. I have something in my mind but not sure if I want to spend the hour with Photoshop to illustrate my thought. In any event, I think it does look "tacked on" as other have said.

Functionally I'm sure it will be perfectly fine (and I think the speed being in the upper left corner is going to be super easy to use - never understood those that think moving your eyes down to look under the steering wheel is any easier/quicker than moving your eyes slightly to the right to read the same info). But aesthetically I don't like it.

The current vehicle dashes/consoles have been a case of form following function. ICE cars are complex animalsand have historically needed a pile of gages and whatnot. Historically, we've been conditioned to the mindset that better cars have more gages/buttons/controls/whatever.

Now, there's no reason for a car dash to be any more or less than a computer. It's the Apple design ethic; simple, clean, minimalist. Don't add any complexity that you don't need. Look at your iphone or a current iMac , compared the phones/computers of 15 years ago. Or an iWatch vs a Rolex.

I think it might be a more difficult sell to the 35+ group, that is conditioned with the "complexity = luxury" mindset. But the younger group has grown up with the iMac "luxury = simple and clean" ethic. They might really buy into what Tesla is doing. And I wonder if Tesla is on the leading edge of a wave.
The placement of the gauge cluster behind the steering wheel is a relic of a central opening in the firewall allowing all the mechanical connections through alongside the steering rack. In an EV, there is no firewall limitations, so moving the gauges to a central digital display makes perfect sense in terms of design and manufacturing simplicity, I'm glad Tesla is doing this to bring a more affordable EV to us.

Last edited:
I prefer Mies van der Rohe who simplified it even further: "Less is More"

Jonathan Ive makes the occasional good point on this as well:

"Simplicity is not the absence of clutter; that's a consequence of simplicity. Simplicity is somehow essentially describing the purpose and place of an object and product. The absence of clutter is just a clutter-free product. That's not simple."

"It’s very easy to be different, but very difficult to be better."

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy and GSP
@Garlan Garner weren't you at the front of the line on 3/31 and ordering dual-motor? You aren't moving up in any ladder.
Yes I am.... Indeed I am.

Dual Motors will be made as soon as Single Motor orders start dwindling down as Tesla has made enough of them. Sure Elon says that Dual Motor models will be produced later, however if Tesla builds enough model 3's to exhaust all single motor orders.....they are going to sit around for a month(s) producing nothing because "Eon" said "we won't make any dual motors until next year (spring)".

So....for every single motor or dual motor dropout that occurs.....I move up the ladder.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Functionally I'm sure it will be perfectly fine (and I think the speed being in the upper left corner is going to be super easy to use - never understood those that think moving your eyes down to look under the steering wheel is any easier/quicker than moving your eyes slightly to the right to read the same info). But aesthetically I don't like it.

To me it seems you have to look down and right for the speedo, as well as focus closer (further away from windshield) as on Model S/X where the instrument cluster screen is embedded inside the dash and not protruding out of it.

Not simply look right...

Last edited:
To me it seems you have to look down and right for the speedo, as well as focus closer (further away from windshield) as on Model S/X where the instrument cluster screen is embeddes inside the dash and not protruding out of it.

Not simply look right...

I guess we will see. But watching all of the test drive videos and seeing the photos...it looks to me that the display is high enough (and, again, from what we understand the speed will be in the upper left corner of the LCD) that it will be a simple "glance slightly right". Besides, how often do most people look at their speed? My current car does have a HUD so speed is super easy to see with only maybe a 10 degree eyeball drop...but even with a super easy to see HUD, I still don't notice/look at my speed often. Maybe I am in the minority but if my speedometer broke, I'd guess I could easily keep on driving and not have it really effect me with the exception of flying down a highway where there's no traffic and changing speed limits (60, 65, and 70 on various parts of Hwy 101 for example). Even so, that would only increase my chance of getting a ticket. Otherwise I think I could drive very safely and easily without knowing my exact speed. Especially if there are other cars around. But leaving that hypothetical alone, I probably glance at my speed a couple of times per hour and that's about it.

Personally, when I go to $10 buffets I'm happy with just finding 2-3 items I really like.

It's a $10 buffet for the Model 3 relative to the Bachanal buffet/P100DL Model S

Exterior/ curb appeal is nice enough.
Mostly glass/all glass roof is gonna be cool.
It's going to be zippy enough.
It's going to have the same AP hardware and software as the S and X.

If my 5 year old could post on TMC he'd be making the same type of whiney complaints / never happy.

I understand he can't see the forest from the trees but can't believe adults cannot see just how badass the 3 is as a BEV offering for the price, performance and nationwide supercharging access.

The most adamant of the whiners should just be antisold to a Bolt. They can drive half way to the nearest Tesla super charger and then go back home from range anxiety.

And this is before finding out the possibility that the M3 interior might just be delightful and has lots of un imagined pros.

Last edited: