TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Matias, May 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

Are those cups sitting flush, or are the wide tops hitting each other and tilting them slightly sideways?

2. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

The "floating" is required because the dash is pushed back farther and lower. They need it to be in easy reach of the driver.

I think that all of your other comments are spot-on. I also like that a guy form California is making a hockey analogy. :)

• Funny x 4
  3. Ciaopec

Ciaopec Reservations at Restaurant at Universe end

Close to where SpaceXploration begins: 32952
    Elon was probably aware of all these thoughts and distilled it further:

"Model 3 interior"

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

You'll be looking at the rear of my Model 3 from your i3 and not my dash.

:)

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  5. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Supporting Member

Yet another move up the reservation ladder. Yahooo.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. Garlan Garner

He'll be looking at the rear of mine as well.

He will be looking at a lot of rears soon. <--- Wait...that's not ethically correct....is it?

7. CameronB

CameronB Member

Thanks @MXWing. I think if Tesla had really wanted to, they could have found a solution to the above. I mean the dash "pad" itself could have had "wings" and a small frame built into it rather than the dash pad being flat. I have something in my mind but not sure if I want to spend the hour with Photoshop to illustrate my thought. In any event, I think it does look "tacked on" as other have said.

Functionally I'm sure it will be perfectly fine (and I think the speed being in the upper left corner is going to be super easy to use - never understood those that think moving your eyes down to look under the steering wheel is any easier/quicker than moving your eyes slightly to the right to read the same info). But aesthetically I don't like it.

• Like x 2
  8. pkalhan

pkalhan Member

+1

• Like x 2
  9. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

#109 Waiting4M3, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
    The placement of the gauge cluster behind the steering wheel is a relic of a central opening in the firewall allowing all the mechanical connections through alongside the steering rack. In an EV, there is no firewall limitations, so moving the gauges to a central digital display makes perfect sense in terms of design and manufacturing simplicity, I'm glad Tesla is doing this to bring a more affordable EV to us.

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  10. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

Well that escalated quickly. :)

• Funny x 5
  11. AnxietyRanger

Jonathan Ive makes the occasional good point on this as well:

"Simplicity is not the absence of clutter; that's a consequence of simplicity. Simplicity is somehow essentially describing the purpose and place of an object and product. The absence of clutter is just a clutter-free product. That's not simple."

"It’s very easy to be different, but very difficult to be better."

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. Garlan Garner

Yes I am.... Indeed I am.

Dual Motors will be made as soon as Single Motor orders start dwindling down as Tesla has made enough of them. Sure Elon says that Dual Motor models will be produced later, however if Tesla builds enough model 3's to exhaust all single motor orders.....they are going to sit around for a month(s) producing nothing because "Eon" said "we won't make any dual motors until next year (spring)".

So....for every single motor or dual motor dropout that occurs.....I move up the ladder.

• Like x 1
  13. AnxietyRanger

#113 AnxietyRanger, May 29, 2017
    To me it seems you have to look down and right for the speedo, as well as focus closer (further away from windshield) as on Model S/X where the instrument cluster screen is embedded inside the dash and not protruding out of it.

Not simply look right...

• Like x 3
  14. AnxietyRanger

I like @Garlan Garner 's passion on this. Nothing wrong with knowing what you like and going for it.

15. CameronB

CameronB Member

I guess we will see. But watching all of the test drive videos and seeing the photos...it looks to me that the display is high enough (and, again, from what we understand the speed will be in the upper left corner of the LCD) that it will be a simple "glance slightly right". Besides, how often do most people look at their speed? My current car does have a HUD so speed is super easy to see with only maybe a 10 degree eyeball drop...but even with a super easy to see HUD, I still don't notice/look at my speed often. Maybe I am in the minority but if my speedometer broke, I'd guess I could easily keep on driving and not have it really effect me with the exception of flying down a highway where there's no traffic and changing speed limits (60, 65, and 70 on various parts of Hwy 101 for example). Even so, that would only increase my chance of getting a ticket. Otherwise I think I could drive very safely and easily without knowing my exact speed. Especially if there are other cars around. But leaving that hypothetical alone, I probably glance at my speed a couple of times per hour and that's about it.

16. AnxietyRanger

I look at speed all the time. But I agree we shall see about usability, no point in speculating too strongly about it.

17. CameronB

CameronB Member

Fair enough. To each his/her own. Not judging but out of curiosity, why do you find yourself needing to look at the speed all the time? Hypermiling?

18. AnxietyRanger

Speed cameras.

• Like x 1
  19. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

#119 MXWing, May 29, 2017
    Personally, when I go to $10 buffets I'm happy with just finding 2-3 items I really like.

It's a $10 buffet for the Model 3 relative to the Bachanal buffet/P100DL Model S

Exterior/ curb appeal is nice enough.
    Mostly glass/all glass roof is gonna be cool.
    It's going to be zippy enough.
    It's going to have the same AP hardware and software as the S and X.

If my 5 year old could post on TMC he'd be making the same type of whiney complaints / never happy.

I understand he can't see the forest from the trees but can't believe adults cannot see just how badass the 3 is as a BEV offering for the price, performance and nationwide supercharging access.

The most adamant of the whiners should just be antisold to a Bolt. They can drive half way to the nearest Tesla super charger and then go back home from range anxiety.

And this is before finding out the possibility that the M3 interior might just be delightful and has lots of un imagined pros.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  20. AnxietyRanger

That sounded awfully whiny of you, @MXWing. ;)

And Model X is hardly a bachanal...

Bolt gets a lot of critique that it deserves. Being weird is not one of them, but it is low quality.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1