Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did they stop putting matrix headlights in Model Ys in the US?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw several people in the Model Y facebook group state they got adaptive headlights in the recent update for the Spring update. Mine didn't have it and was built in Fremont in March 2024 (MYLR). It sounds like the feature went out to the US cars that had them. I thought the newer ones all had this type of headlight. How do you tell it is matrix or not? If it is matrix, does anyone know whey some vehicles got the feature in the US but others did not?

I can't seem to delete this. I thought I had just gotten the latest update at 2024.14.9 but 2024.20 has the adaptive headlight update.

If admin can delete the post, feel free to. Sorry for jumping the gun before thinking of that.
Hey, just enjoy the victory lap. Lots of things are confusing - and contradictory. What's active for a given software release is one of the milder points of confusion..

Reactions: GeezerSquid
I've never known a car company that rotates parts and features so often in a certain model year. I both love and hate this. Love that if they feel that the car should be changed they change it immediately. Hate that it's so difficult to get answers about your own specific car's parts and features.

I have no idea which lights my '24 MYP has or if I'll get the adaptive feature with the next update.

Reactions: CoolBuddy
I've never known a car company that rotates parts and features so often in a certain model year. I both love and hate this. Love that if they feel that the car should be changed they change it immediately. Hate that it's so difficult to get answers about your own specific car's parts and features.

I have no idea which lights my '24 MYP has or if I'll get the adaptive feature with the next update.
I am pretty sure everyone has had the matrix lights installed for at least a year now. Seems the car waits on wifi hookups to do updates.

Maybe you haven't noticed it? It's not so easy to see in urban settings.

I am pretty sure everyone has had the matrix lights installed for at least a year now. Seems the car waits on wifi hookups to do updates.

Maybe you haven't noticed it? It's not so easy to see in urban settings.
That's possible, though I believe my last update is one back from the very latest (even though the update occurred only a few days ago).

The other confusing part is that we have people across the forum and FB group suggesting that the US market doesn't and won't receive this functionality and they say so with confidence. So often these types of people are disproven but it's tough knowing what's what unless it comes from Tesla, or truly trustworthy people.

Reactions: CoolBuddy
That's possible, though I believe my last update is one back from the very latest (even though the update occurred only a few days ago).

The other confusing part is that we have people across the forum and FB group suggesting that the US market doesn't and won't receive this functionality and they say so with confidence. So often these types of people are disproven but it's tough knowing what's what unless it comes from Tesla, or truly trustworthy people.
Mine is in 2024.8.9 afaik that is how it was delivered.

There is an update available 2014.14.9. In the release notes it mentions the adaptive lights like it's a brand new thing yet mine are definitely adapting from new.

You have to turn the adaptive function on in the lights menu I think. If you are used to automatic lights coming on and shutting off you might have forgotten you have one?

last I heard, the USA does not have the adaptive software even though we have the Matrix headlights installed on the car itself. And even though the gov approved the used of the adaptive headlights, the NTSB or whoever is in charge of car safety in the US hasn't released any laws or regulations allowing for adaptive software.

I got an update about 2 weeks ago, but its 2024.14.9

The EU and many other countries have been using adaptive headlights for many years already.

zzzzzzz.jpg

Last edited:
I've had adaptive headlights in three of my last four cars, all in the US, so there doesn't seem to be any regulation against the functionality. Perhaps something about Tesla's employment of adaptive headlights breaks the rules somehow, *however* we're seeing reports from people here in the US stating that they have this feature engaged and working.

This is what I was talking about with confusing, conflicting reports. We either have it here or we don't. If we do then anyone could have it, but for some reason not everyone does. The question becomes "why not?"

last I heard, the USA does not have the adaptive software even though we have the Matrix headlights installed on the car itself. And even though the gov approved the used of the adaptive headlights, the NTSB or whoever is in charge of car safety in the US hasn't released any laws or regulations allowing for adaptive software.

I got an update about 2 weeks ago, but its 2024.14.9

The EU and many other countries have been using adaptive headlights for many years already.

View attachment 1057030
In the US we get the curve functionality, but don’t get the matrix capability where the highbeams adjust for traffic. Seems like they also made it so the headlights aim a little higher if you’re on a highway for non-US cars.

This is the us version of the release note (model S, but should be same for 3/X/Y)

IMG_4219.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Skavatar
View attachment 1057344
Selected. It's still light out so I'll have to wait to test it.
That's the reactive system engaged alright. If in a dark place the world is lit up in pixels at close range when you have the matrix lights. Freakish to see for the first time to say the least. Unfortunately your selection is missing high and low beam like mine so not sure if you have the matrix.

after some more research it seems like Tesla USA just added the curve adaptive headlights with 2024.20 before this we did not have any adaptive functionality from the Tesla USA Matrix headlights.

i checked my wife's 23 Fremont M3 RWD and she has 2024.20 with the curve feature. my 2023 Austin MYLR AMD Ryzen has 2024.14.9 w/o any adaptive functions.

after some more research it seems like Tesla USA just added the curve adaptive headlights with 2024.20 before this we did not have any adaptive functionality from the Tesla USA Matrix headlights.

i checked my wife's 23 Fremont M3 RWD and she has 2024.20 with the curve feature. my 2023 Austin MYLR AMD Ryzen has 2024.14.9 w/o any adaptive functions.
Too bad the "Headlights adapt for curves" does absolutely nothing...

No left/right movement on my Y's matrix headlights with 2024.20.1, whether by the supposed "Headlights adapt for curves" feature or in the adjust headlights dialog.

Yes, I have matrix headlights. Yes, I have adaptive headlights turned on.

• Informative
Too bad the "Headlights adapt for curves" does absolutely nothing...

No left/right movement on my Y's matrix headlights with 2024.20.1, whether by the supposed "Headlights adapt for curves" feature or in the adjust headlights dialog.

Yes, I have matrix headlights. Yes, I have adaptive headlights turned on.
It doesn't move it dims/brightens LED segments in the headlight. Some other cars like my Porsche had separate bulb that lit up in turns to serve that function.

It doesn't move it dims/brightens LED segments in the headlight.
It still doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling when the left/right adjustment doesn't work at all. Feels like a conditional compile flag was mis-set in the official build. Admittedly, I never tried adjusting the headlights in a prior release, so maybe it never worked. But why have it then? That's just asking for support headaches ("Why doesn't this adjustment work?")

Some other cars like my Porsche had separate bulb that lit up in turns to serve that function.
My '14 S also had the separate cornering light.

It doesn't move it dims/brightens LED segments in the headlight. Some other cars like my Porsche had separate bulb that lit up in turns to serve that function.
Have you actually seen it work, on a Tesla with matrix headlights and 2024.20.1? Did you have high or low beams on at the time?

If high beams are on and there's no oncoming traffic, there's no need to mess with individual pixel brightness, weather turning or driving straight. Turn them all on, full. That's what "high beams" means.