Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you guys shop around before deciding on the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t need the range. I’ve mentioned it before but this is mostly my weekend car. I picked up the car Sept 28th and as of today, I have 915 miles on it. I have my 3 series that I drive around most of the time. And I don’t ever take my cars on long road trips. I rent as I always do or I just fly. So, range made absolutely no sense to me. I’ve also got a charger at home and live in Southern California and AWD is not needed. Plus, I’ve always enjoyed RWD much more. Who doesn’t enjoy tugging on the backside every now and then? As for the power, that’s not a huge deal for me. The SR+ is plenty.

I paid extra for the red, for the 19 inch wheels and the white seats. Now, if I want a premium audio system, I’ll have to cut a check for 4-5k to have a nice sound system. My point is I wish Tesla gave me that option.

Why doesn’t it make sense? Makes plenty If I’ve already paid 4,500 extra for color, wheels and interior. Charge a couple grand more for premium audio. Most people that are buying the LR are not buying it for the audio, they want the extra power and range.
Understand but did you consider that range isnt just miles between charge? Its also long term battery life and resale.

Understand but did you consider that range isnt just miles between charge? Its also long term battery life and resale.
I have no plan to sell the car. The goal is pay it off in 3-3.5 years and I’ll have both of my cars paid off by then. As for the battery-life, if I have to get a new battery in 10 years or so, then so be it.

Tesla does a lot things right but they also do a lot of things that isn’t so grand. When the time comes for a third car, if Tesla hasn’t changed a chunk of their philosophy then I’m going to look elsewhere.

I haven't driven the Model 3 but have driven several other EV's. I currently daily an M3, as in the original BMW M3. 420 horse V8, 6 speed manual. I absolutely love driving my car but 17 miles per gallon and an out of warranty street legal race car is a bad combo. My car is appreciating rapidly but I'm ready to take the EV plunge.

Reactions: RedWhite19
I haven't driven the Model 3 but have driven several other EV's. I currently daily an M3, as in the original BMW M3. 420 horse V8, 6 speed manual. I absolutely love driving my car but 17 miles per gallon and an out of warranty street legal race car is a bad combo. My car is appreciating rapidly but I'm ready to take the EV plunge.
The last great BMW’s, the E90/92s. A naturally aspirated German hot-rod. IMO, I’d say keep it. My Model 3 is great and all but I still enjoy driving my 3 series around as well.

BTW. I always cringe when I see people around these parts talk about their model 3s as M3’s. No dude, it’s not an M3. It is a Model 3.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro

@jjrandorin is a walking BMW encyclopedia and wrote up a great BMW M3 vs. Tesla Model 3 comparison a while back... Hopefully he still has the link and can point you to it. Great read and a "What BMW owners moving to Tesla should know" primer.

BTW. I always cringe when I see people around these parts talk about their model 3s as M3’s. No dude, it’s not an M3. It is a Model 3.

I would agree if BMW had not diluted the whole "M3" and "M" marque so much its now worthless. The M3/M5 used to be awesome cars, but now every car BMW makes has a kinda-sorta "M" variant or even (yuck) an add-on kit that just sticks a few "M" labels on the outside of the car. That and the faked exhaust noise piped in via the sound system. Sad.

Reactions: westernvine
I would agree if BMW had not diluted the whole "M3" and "M" marque so much its now worthless. The M3/M5 used to be awesome cars, but now every car BMW makes has a kinda-sorta "M" variant or even (yuck) an add-on kit that just sticks a few "M" labels on the outside of the car. That and the faked exhaust noise piped in via the sound system. Sad.

I agree. The M badge had prominence and prestige all the way until they slapped on turbos into their cars.

The M packages are not really M cars either. M235i, I mean c’mon.

But at the end of the day, the M3 name belongs to BMW. I stick to saying Model 3.

@jjrandorin is a walking BMW encyclopedia and wrote up a great BMW M3 vs. Tesla Model 3 comparison a while back... Hopefully he still has the link and can point you to it. Great read and a "What BMW owners moving to Tesla should know" primer.

Lol hi buddy!

I do happen to know a bit about BMWs (lol) but there are a LOT of people here from BMW land so to speak. I didnt author the threads you were likely talking about, though. Here is the thread talking about "BMW to Tesla". Its old but still relevant IMO.

Feedback from BMW or other premium brand converts?

I havent read this thread I am posting in, however, so hopefully its relevant to what is being asked. I am responding to @dmurphy 's summons, lol

The thing that made me able to get a Tesla was the Tesla insurance. It was soooo much less than my Geico insurance (admittedly I had a bad record) but they had my record and with the cost, especially compared to the quality of coverage, it was much less than my Honda Clarity PIHB and my two PIHB Volts (which I loved) but they stopped making them and I would have got a Tesla anyway. It’s been my dream car for years so I’ve been doing research that whole time waiting for my things to fall off and my sales girl told me to give their Insurance a try and I swear on everything I hold holy in this world, it was about 85% less expensive than Geico.

So when I got that, I pressed the accelerator and now wish I got the LR instead of the SR+ because I’m an immediate fanboy.

I'm buying the M3P sight unseen. I've been driving a BMW E90 335i Sport 6MT for the last 12 years and while I love the way it drives, it's been a reliability nightmare. I've taken the car in for repairs over 25 times since I custom ordered it from Germany (no manuals available at all in stock in the NE). I've spent $3,500 repairing it already this year on a car worth maybe $6K and my ABS light went on again for the 3rd time this year. Fortunately, my mechanic wants to buy it since it is relatively low miles and I baby it. I've been doing a lot of research on the M3P the last 6 months and with no sales tax in NJ and a 5K EV rebate, buying it seems like a no brainer. Picking mine up today at 3PM. I'm going to miss driving a stick since my last 4 cars have been manual but with so few desirable, practical or affordable manuals out there it's time for me to move on.

I'm buying the M3P sight unseen. I've been driving a BMW E90 335i Sport 6MT for the last 12 years and while I love the way it drives, it's been a reliability nightmare. I've taken the car in for repairs over 25 times since I custom ordered it from Germany (no manuals available at all in stock in the NE). I've spent $3,500 repairing it already this year on a car worth maybe $6K and my ABS light went on again for the 3rd time this year. Fortunately, my mechanic wants to buy it since it is relatively low miles and I baby it. I've been doing a lot of research on the M3P the last 6 months and with no sales tax in NJ and a 5K EV rebate, buying it seems like a no brainer. Picking mine up today at 3PM. I'm going to miss driving a stick since my last 4 cars have been manual but with so few desirable, practical or affordable manuals out there it's time for me to move on.
Hopefully, you haven’t driven an Performance either. Suggestion, charge to 90%+ before romping it for the first time. It’ll make the feeling that much more memorable. :D

Reactions: Doggiedog
Hopefully, you haven’t driven an Performance either. Suggestion, charge to 90%+ before romping it for the first time. It’ll make the feeling that much more memorable. :D

Hopefully they will have it charged up to 90% when I pick it up! Going to immediately change to winter tires when I bring it home so it might be the only chance to drive it with performance tires for a few months.

I think you will really like driving your new Model 3P, but the experience is going to be VERY different for you especially. Coming directly from a manual (a pretty darn good one at that ), to a car which makes no noise at all when you drive it (except maybe wind noise / cabin noise lol) may be jarring for you.

Give it a chance. If you drive on twisties sometimes, give it a chance there too. I find it handles really well, even if the steering wheel is a bit "light" the car drives like a go-kart.

Reactions: Doggiedog
In June of 2005, I bought my first car, a 2006 E90 330i. It was the sport package, granted it wasn’t manual but I was psyched when I got it. It was the new body and hardly any were on the road. A few months later, I discovered a 335 was coming out with turbos that took the 255HP car to 300. I was pretty butthurt BUT that car was a warrior. It only gave me problems in the last few months, which my father advised me to sell it before it becomes more of a problem down the road. So, it was 2013 I sold it and got 2013 328i, which I still have and has been good to me.

Till this day, even with my Model 3, that E90 330i is the best handling car I’ve had. I always trusted it. I’ve had 2014 E350 as well with the AMG package, and that 330i had better handling.

Indeed, you’re buying a Model 3 performance, but I think you’ll miss the handling of the BMW. Sometimes you like your engine speaking to you.

In June of 2005, I bought my first car, a 2006 E90 330i. It was the sport package, granted it wasn’t manual but I was psyched when I got it. It was the new body and hardly any were on the road. A few months later, I discovered a 335 was coming out with turbos that took the 255HP car to 300. I was pretty butthurt BUT that car was a warrior. It only gave me problems in the last few months, which my father advised me to sell it before it becomes more of a problem down the road. So, it was 2013 I sold it and got 2013 328i, which I still have and has been good to me.

Till this day, even with my Model 3, that E90 330i is the best handling car I’ve had. I always trusted it. I’ve had 2014 E350 as well with the AMG package, and that 330i had better handling.

Indeed, you’re buying a Model 3 performance, but I think you’ll miss the handling of the BMW. Sometimes you like your engine speaking to you.

The E90 330i was a very nice car. The engine sounded great on it. I still think the E90 is a great looking car. Just last month I was driving on the George Washington Bridge and someone pulled up next to me and gave me a thumbs up. Unfortunately, my car has been a bit of a lemon. I actually could have lemoned it because the HPFP went at 1500, 7500, and 9000 miles. I think I've replaced it under warranty at least 5 times maybe 6. I've been taking it in for something whether it's bad sensors, fuel injectors, A/C, lights, stereo at least 25 times. The one thing that I never had a problem with was rattles if you could believe it. Well, it's time is up. Taking an Uber to the Tesla dealer right now. Will take pics of my new M3P soon!

Hopefully they will have it charged up to 90% when I pick it up! Going to immediately change to winter tires when I bring it home so it might be the only chance to drive it with performance tires for a few months.
Not sure what is common practice, but my car was charged to ~50% IIRC and got it up to ~80% before heading to a Christmas party (picked it up 1 year ago today). I made it a point to not romp on it until the next day when it was charged to 86% and the family was with me. I won’t forget that moment. :D Hopefully you can find a clear road with good traction before swapping to winter tires.