TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Did you upgrade 60 ->75?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by steveho, Mar 20, 2017.

?

Has anyone upgraded 60 -> 75?

1. 60 upgraded to 75

18 vote(s)
    23.7%
  2. 60 and am happy to keep it a 60

26 vote(s)
    34.2%
  3. 60 with possible plans to upgrade in the future (at 7k / 9k)

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. Will upgrade if cost was less than 5k

11 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. Will upgrade if cost was less than 2k

32 vote(s)
    42.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. steveho

steveho Member

Ok, instead of asking if it was worth it to upgrade from 60 to 75, and yet hearing nothing about the upgrade, let's run a poll to see how many upgraded from 60 to 75. I for one, will not upgrade. Even in Minnesota winters, so far the 60 is still enough range (133 miles at 450wh/mi in the medium cold days i.e. -10 to 10, or 120 miles at 500wh/mi at the coldest days).

2. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Wow, you have a different idea of "medium cold" than I do! My medium cold is ~55.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  3. Cstreet

Cstreet Member

I have a 3 year lease, and I am now about 3/4 of a year in. If they did a pro-rated purchase for the remainder of the lease term say $2500 I would go for it but otherwise its not interesting at all for the lease people.

4. Deans

Deans Member

It makes little sense to upgrade at the current price. How often can you skip stopping at a charging station? 10 times a year? 20 minutes per stop (extra) ? That's 200 minutes per year. 1000 minutes if you own the car for 5 years. That's 16 hours over a 5 year period. At 50% depreciation, that's $3,500 for 16 hours of time. That works out to over $220 per hour, tax free, to sit in your car or stop to pee.

That's like being paid $975,000 (pre tax) a year to do nothing full time. I'll stick with 60kWh.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

Don't forget that a 60 will not be worth as much at trade in time as a 75.

• Like x 1
  6. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Maybe. Not sure there is any proof of that. Tesla just has to flip a virtual switch and it IS a 75.

• Like x 2
  7. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I answered that I would not upgrade. Perhaps the better answer would have been that I would upgrade for less than $2000. But it would have to be significantly less...

8. obvnotlupus

obvnotlupus Member

One thing I've noticed with EV Trip Planner. I've been looking at it and planning future trips as I'm waiting for my car to arrive.

Where I am (Raleigh, NC) there is a LOT of difference in road trips with the 85kWh battery. From 60 to 70 trip times aren't noticeably reduced, but at 85 there seems to be a bigger jump. So I think an upgrade from 60 to 85 for $7,000 would be worth it. I just don't see how the 60 to 70 would be worth anything more than maybe a couple grand, like $2-3k.

9. croman

croman Active Member

I actually routeplanned a trip on evtripplanner that I've done several times before, the new 60D option does seem a bit more accurate except I don't think it captures the lack of taper (I think it assumes 100% of the 60 is 100% whereas its actually 86%). Still will require more monkeying around to be sure.

10. Steveb48

Steveb48 Member

I upgraded but for $2000 during the quarter ending last September. I would not have paid the full price.

11. gabeincal

gabeincal Enjoying Napa life the electric way

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Details please.

12. steveho

steveho Member

55 degrees, that's shorts weather!
    It doesn't get very cold any more in Minnesota, not like when I was a kid. But we do still get a few weeks of 10 to minus 10, and still some -10 to -20 once in a while. I found that above 15 or 20 degrees f, I would use significantly less power.

• Like x 1
  13. Steveb48

Steveb48 Member

Shortly after we ordered our car last September, we were contacted by Tesla and told that they had a car built just like the one we ordered and could get that car before the end of the month. This was not a CPO or demo / loaner. They offered the 60 to 75 upgrade for $2000 as incentive.

• Like x 1
  14. gabeincal

That's the kind of sneaky discounting that Elon message everyone not to do. CPO is one thing, but to offer an upgrade at a different price is not OK. Lucky you got it though, happy for you!

15. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

Yeah, the scumbags! How do they sleep at night? ;)

• Funny x 1
  16. Steveb48

Steveb48 Member

Well everything comes at cost. By taking delivery early, we missed getting rear seat cup holders by two weeks ;)

• Funny x 1
  17. steveho

steveho Member

Ok, now that it has been announced that 60 ->75 is $2000, will you upgrade? 51% of you said you would if the upgrade was $2000ish. I am considering it:
    1. It gets rid of the 100% charge warning if I charge to 90% of 75kwh
    2. it gets me more range on a daily basis (240ish vs 220ish)
    3. it gets me more range on a long distance trip (259ish vs 220ish)

18. gabeincal

Very tempted. Still hard to justify as even on long trips i'm happy with my 60. Will think about it hard, it's a great price now!!

19. gabeincal

Took the plunge. Not visible in car yet, but it did say upgrade successful in the car.. will see and report back

20. John G

John G Member

Pushed the button. Took about 1 hour. Changed IOS app to 75 and screen in car.
    Glad I did it.

• Informative x 1