Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference between 90D vs 100D- is it worth 10k ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 90D and have had zero issues with the battery. I bought in early 2017 and while waiting for delivery, the 100 D came out and I was given the option to pay $3k more for the 100D but would lose the ventilated seats. I have not regretted staying with the 90D. Additionally, not sure if I switched to the 100D , whether I would lose the free supercharging and eligibilty transfer upon selling.

Its my understanding there were 3 versions of 90D batteries. I only know that my 2017 has Version 3, and I have zero issues. (You can tell which version by looking at the label on the battery pack, visible from passenger side wheel well area). At 100%, my battery currently shows 284 miles of actual range. And fastest charge I've gotten was around 120kwh in 80 degree temps at about 15% state of charge.

Beyond range, Im not sure of any other differences. (there may be some, Im just not aware of them for the 2017 model year for each).

Last edited:
Reactions: LV1972
What about AP 2 vs AP 2.5 ?

I noticed there is a price difference between this too?

Depends a bit on the configuration of the car and your intentions.

IF the cars you're looking at have the "Full Self Driving" software package, then it makes no difference as either of them will be upgraded to AP 3.0 hardware for free upon your asking.

IF you are interested in paying $2500 for the infotainment upgrade to improve the performance of the MCU and enable all of the extra features that come on MCU2+ cars, then it makes no difference as that upgrade will include the AP 3.0 computer as part of the process.

IF you're going to leave the car as it sits, and it doesn't have the FSD package, the difference largely boils down to the functionality and availability of a handful of features such as dash cam and sentry mode. AP 2.0 cars won't have these features, AP 2.5 cars will.

There are some other minor hardware differences between the two, but they're largely inconsequential. AP 2.0 has different color filters on the cameras and a different front-facing radar.

Depends a bit on the configuration of the car and your intentions.

IF the cars you're looking at have the "Full Self Driving" software package, then it makes no difference as either of them will be upgraded to AP 3.0 hardware for free upon your asking.

IF you are interested in paying $2500 for the infotainment upgrade to improve the performance of the MCU and enable all of the extra features that come on MCU2+ cars, then it makes no difference as that upgrade will include the AP 3.0 computer as part of the process.

IF you're going to leave the car as it sits, and it doesn't have the FSD package, the difference largely boils down to the functionality and availability of a handful of features such as dash cam and sentry mode. AP 2.0 cars won't have these features, AP 2.5 cars will.

There are some other minor hardware differences between the two, but they're largely inconsequential. AP 2.0 has different color filters on the cameras and a different front-facing radar.

All Tesla used cars ordered from Tesla site are coming with FSD. Im not sure i understand you about "free upgrade" to AP 3.0 hardware.

Does it mean i can make appointment for upgrade to AP3 as soon as i receive my (used) car?

Also AP 3.0 hardware upgrade does not include infotainment upgrade,am i correct?

Last edited:
Correct, that’s separate, and $2500.

I’ll say though, as an owner of a car in the vintage you’re looking at, worth it.

ok i got it.

So correct me please if im wrong

1. My FSD APH 2.0 car can get free hardware upgrade to 3.0 but it will not include infotainment upgrade which is $2500 separately.

2. I can pay from my pocket for infotainment upgrade and hardware 3.0 will be included anyway

3. After upgrade to 3.0 i will have dash cam and sentry mode but with some limitations because car was originally 2.0. Correct?

My Model S 90D (Feb 2017) has the version 3 battery and I've had surprisingly little degradation, even after almost 74k miles in 47 states. 100% battery is still 284 miles, and the majority of my miles have been on superchargers.

The car came with AP2 and I received the HW3 upgrade free when that became available. I did pay $2500 for the MCU upgrade. Well worth the investment.

You can get the battery version from the information on the battery visible in the passenger side front wheel well.

Reactions: LV1972
ok i got it.

So correct me please if im wrong

1. My FSD APH 2.0 car can get free hardware upgrade to 3.0 but it will not include infotainment upgrade which is $2500 separately.

2. I can pay from my pocket for infotainment upgrade and hardware 3.0 will be included anyway

3. After upgrade to 3.0 i will have dash cam and sentry mode but with some limitations because car was originally 2.0. Correct?

1) yes
2) yes, but the presence of the hardware doesn’t enable any FSD software features.
3) the only “limitation” will be the color filters on the cameras, but again, that has no fundamental impact on performance beyond your sentry and dash cam videos having a red tint to them.