Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference in acceleration between Model 3 LR w/boost and Model 3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sadly i never took screenshots of my scan my tesla app before and after i purchased the boost software
only thought about it after the fact
0-60 3.67 is a danm-perfect launch
even at 100% hot off a supercharge, i think ive been IN the 3.75 area but not exactly 3.70 or less

Scan My Tesla do not produce repetable valid results.
I have a lot of 0-60(0-100kph) runs with SMT using gor example Dragy app/box at the same time. I also have a Vericom performance computer showing this.

Dragy could be used as a more or less valid test.
The three best M3P* in the Leaderboard list have done 0-100kph at 3.32, 3.35 and 3.36s.

The two best LR with boost have 3.94 and 3.96s times.

Theres a quite big difference in the punch between 3.35 and 3.95s.

*) One odd M3P below 3s not counted as its too far from other M3P.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Note 0-100 kph is 0-62 mph, so those times will be slightly greater than the 0-60 times most folks (in the US anyway) cite.

I was actually about to ask if you were only looking at last-month times when I saw the #s until I noticed this difference, because there's certainly faster 0-60 times on both vehicles all over draggy (largely reflective of the times I posted in my chart)

Note 0-100 kph is 0-62 mph, so those times will be slightly greater than the 0-60 times most folks (in the US anyway) cite.

I was actually about to ask if you were only looking at last-month times when I saw the #s until I noticed this difference, because there's certainly faster 0-60 times on both vehicles all over draggy (largely reflective of the times I posted in my chart)
Yes, I get kph rates as I did set it on Dragy.

But it is the leaderboard for Tesla, *any time* set.
Down below, the fastest thre M3P and the fastest M3 LR Acc Boost.
I do not think it matters that 0-60 mph is 0-96 kph or if the comparison is 0-100 kph, the difference between M3P and LR Acc Boost should be about the same anyway.

6491CB3B-FC5D-424C-8DF4-9F660D9B6DA3.jpeg

CAFDAB21-4C59-4B3B-8343-BD20805837CD.jpeg

Needless to say, I fell in love with the car. I love speed, but I'm moving to Japan and won't have much opportunity to drive faster because of the strict regulations (unlike Italy, where I live now).

Long story short, I ordered a Model 3 Long Range and hope I won't be disappointed because of the performance difference.
Apparently it's not possible to buy the Speed Boost in Japan.

What do you think? Is the difference that noticeable?

But in Tokyo drift the police don't go after you if you go fast enough. Movies never lie.

It's noticeable but the LR is plenty quick. Just don't drive an M3P again.

That doesn't seem to be exactly the case though.

The gap is 0.46 seconds 0-60 mph per my data, but nearer 0.6 0-100 kph per your list

Also doesn't help there's several folks in the 3.6x range (0-60) that don't specify their trim

But for example there's

Mmyers300 from Naperville IL with a boosted 3 who ran 3.52, then Adrian from Delano CA at 3.56 0-60 on AWD+ boost, and Finnspeed from Westlake Ohio, with 3.57 0-60 on AWD+boost... all of which are at least a full tenth quicker than my chart. (I probably need to dig through draggy and update my chart...)

Below them you have Ktmsmr12 with LR AWD and 0-60 of 3.61... or buzzlee_xp from Germany who shows 3.62 0-60 (without rollout) in a LR AWD with boost

In contrast the quickest I see for a 3P right now 0-60 is EVNV from San Diego at 3.07 0-60, then a 3.12 and a 3.14 after him.

Which puts the "current data" gap from AWD+ to P at.... 0.45. Basically identical to my own chart (0.45 vs 0.46)

So while the raw #s are lower for both today than when I made the chart, the gap hasn't changed.

That video is pretty useless-- no calibrated testing whatsoever, 3 humans launching independently and 2 of the 3 drivers screw up visibly in the first run, and 1 of them in the second.

If they'd bothered with draggy or vbox or something they'd have useful data to see what happened, but instead it's just a weird video whose results in the last couple runs don't reflect any real world data available elsewhere (other than the fact most of the Ps extra power comes in the 0-60)

0-60 no
30-75 closer
50-100 even closer

P will still beat it out but mid to high range is quite similar. The LR boost is a sweet compromise between range and power. I have a 22’ LR Boost myself and she’s quite a fun machine. 20” V1 Perf rims, oem spoiler, 20% tint, yoke steering, Cfibre trim.

View attachment 804103View attachment 804104

Or you can go for the uncomprimising stealth performance. Harhar

So, a good friend of mine, who has a Supercharger BMW M3 on 200TW tires, rode with me in my M3P. Not only was he impressed with the acceleration, but in our conversation about my first AutoX event in the Tesla next month, Track Mode came up.

Naturally, we then mosied our way to the edge of town where I first experienced Drift Mode…. 🥹🥹🥹😇😇😇

From what I have read, the 3D3 front motors are the same but stock Long Range needs the Accel Boost to increase its power output capability to match the Performance. The rear 3D5 and 3D1 is where the main difference is, but when I added up the power output it was like 490 hp for the Model 3 Long Range w/ Accel Boost, and 505 hp for the Model 3 Performance. A few other EV reviewers/webpages said the same thing - including one that talked about the upcoming Highland Model 3 Performance.

From what I have read, the 3D3 front motors are the same but stock Long Range needs the Accel Boost to increase its power output capability to match the Performance. The rear 3D5 and 3D1 is where the main difference is, but when I added up the power output it was like 490 hp for the Model 3 Long Range w/ Accel Boost, and 505 hp for the Model 3 Performance. A few other EV reviewers/webpages said the same thing - including one that talked about the upcoming Highland Model 3 Performance.

Not sure what you're talking about, but LR with AB is still significantly slower than a performance Model 3. It makes up roughly half the difference from the non-boosted LR AWD.

To get P-similar performance you need the aftermarket ghost modules, which just lies to the car (but only with a 980 rear motor) and tells it it's a P, since the HW is identical on a LR AWD with a 980 and a base P, only diff. is software.

See post 19 in the thread for a spreadsheet of measured differences in various performance metrics (0-60 by 10 mph steps, 30-50, 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, CANBUS power, etc)

Not sure what you're talking about, but LR with AB is still significantly slower than a performance Model 3. It makes up roughly half the difference from the non-boosted LR AWD.

To get P-similar performance you need the aftermarket ghost modules, which just lies to the car (but only with a 980 rear motor) and tells it it's a P, since the HW is identical on a LR AWD with a 980 and a base P, only diff. is software.

See post 19 in the thread for a spreadsheet of measured differences in various performance metrics (0-60 by 10 mph steps, 30-50, 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, CANBUS power, etc)
0.4 seconds isn't what I'd say is significantly faster for 0-60 and 1/4 mile ET. The trap speeds are also very similar.

I was referencing the power output of the 3D3 front and 3D1 (M3P) and 3D5 (M3LR) motors. LRAB makes the front 3D3 motor produce the same power as on the M3P. But the M3P 3D1 rear motor makes slightly more power than the 3D5.

There was a South Korea leak of the new Highland M3P and they talked about how the current M3P was only 505 hp

0.4 seconds isn't what I'd say is significantly faster for 0-60

You might be the only person on earth with that opinion.

Folks spend thousands of dollars to get that kind of difference.

I was referencing the power output of the 3D3 front and 3D1 (M3P) and 3D5 (M3LR) motors. LRAB makes the front 3D3 motor produce the same power as on the M3P. But the M3P 3D1 rear motor makes slightly more power than the 3D5.

LR AWD with boost makes 83 less HP than the Performance 3. Again see the chart in post 19 using actual real-time measurements from the respective cars.

Or is 83 hp "slightly less" like "0.4 faster 0-60" isn't significant?

0.4 seconds isn't what I'd say is significantly faster for 0-60 and 1/4 mile ET. The trap speeds are also very similar.

There was a South Korea leak of the new Highland M3P and they talked about how the current M3P was only 505 hp
I think the error in your understanding is that the P only has 10 more HP than a boosted LR.