Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Different Tesla Chargers in North America and Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is the same charger in both US and EU cars since Model X and facelift Model S - the 16.5kW charger.
They are all 3 modules at max 24A. In the US they are connected in parallel, and in the EU in wye for 400V 3-phase.

Really? Facelift North America vehicles charge at a max of 48A. At 240V, thats 11.5kw. The 3 phase and 48A ones have different part numbers as well. I suspect they are different.

High Amperage Charger On Inventory Cars - Now Standard on MS?

Here's the sticker from it too. I could be wrong though. 08-33.jpg

It is the same charger in both US and EU cars since Model X and facelift Model S - the 16.5kW charger.
They are all 3 modules at max 24A. In the US they are connected in parallel, and in the EU in wye for 400V 3-phase.

Hello, I am new to this forum, I have a 2019 Model X and plan to ship it to Europe as we are moving there, plan to drive it in Austria and then down to Portugal where we might end up living, I am not super technically versed but it seems it would be possible to use the car with some adapters, can someone point me to the ones I need?

Also I understand the following, could you confirm:
- the upsides are saving > $30K by keeping the car vs buying a new one there, and the downsides are:
- warranty might be void
- maps/directions will not work
- super charging will not work, is there a workaround for this or are there adapters by now?
- any other downsides?

thanks for your insights!
cheers, Joe

- the upsides are saving > $30K by keeping the car vs buying a new one there,

But what are you going to do at the end of the trip? If you try to sell it in Europe you won't get a good price for it. So you have to plan to ship it back to the US again - so two lots of shipping costs and many weeks without use of your car while it's on the water (assuming you will be flying...).

it seems it would be possible to use the car with some adapters, can someone point me to the ones I need?

Take what you call the J1772 adapter, that over here we would call a "type 1" adapter, and get a Type1 -> Type 2 charging cable (very standard item, used for charging Nissan Leaf etc).
That will let you charge at almost all public slow charging points (but not Tesla destination charging as they all have tethered cables, unlike most public charging which has a socket for you to bring your own cable and hence gives you the choice of connector).

Charging like that will give you a maximum of 32A (7.3kW, approx 24 miles range per hour of charging).

You will not be able to access Superchargers or any public CCS charging (as a 2019 model, your car could theoretically support CCS but Tesla haven't released an adapter and even if they did the USA version would be for CCS-Type1 while Europe needs CCS-Type2).

The only type of fast charging you might be able to access is CHAdeMO if you buy a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter (and you need to buy it before you leave - ones you buy here will have the wrong connector for your car). CHAdeMO public charging (max 50kW, in practice more like 35-40kW, so 100-120 miles of range per hour charging) is still fairly widely available in Europe, though rapidly being overtaken by CCS - in a couple of years time, it's likely to be worse.

So, if this is a one-time trip for a few months and ship the car back home with you at the end, this might just be cost-effective (though tedious and hard to recommend - renting a Tesla over here would probably be a better bet). If you are moving here permanently, it's going to be much better all round to sell the car there and buy another here (used if necessary).

But what are you going to do at the end of the trip? If you try to sell it in Europe you won't get a good price for it. So you have to plan to ship it back to the US again - so two lots of shipping costs and many weeks without use of your car while it's on the water (assuming you will be flying...).

Take what you call the J1772 adapter, that over here we would call a "type 1" adapter, and get a Type1 -> Type 2 charging cable (very standard item, used for charging Nissan Leaf etc).
That will let you charge at almost all public slow charging points (but not Tesla destination charging as they all have tethered cables, unlike most public charging which has a socket for you to bring your own cable and hence gives you the choice of connector).

Charging like that will give you a maximum of 32A (7.3kW, approx 24 miles range per hour of charging).

You will not be able to access Superchargers or any public CCS charging (as a 2019 model, your car could theoretically support CCS but Tesla haven't released an adapter and even if they did the USA version would be for CCS-Type1 while Europe needs CCS-Type2).

The only type of fast charging you might be able to access is CHAdeMO if you buy a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter (and you need to buy it before you leave - ones you buy here will have the wrong connector for your car). CHAdeMO public charging (max 50kW, in practice more like 35-40kW, so 100-120 miles of range per hour charging) is still fairly widely available in Europe, though rapidly being overtaken by CCS - in a couple of years time, it's likely to be worse.

So, if this is a one-time trip for a few months and ship the car back home with you at the end, this might just be cost-effective (though tedious and hard to recommend - renting a Tesla over here would probably be a better bet). If you are moving here permanently, it's going to be much better all round to sell the car there and buy another here (used if necessary).

Thanks for your comments Arg! This is really helpful.
We are planning to be in Europe for at least a few years and possibly longer term.

Do any of you know if my Navigation still works over there?
How about the warranty, will I be covered still in Europe?

Thanks for your comments Arg! This is really helpful.
We are planning to be in Europe for at least a few years and possibly longer term.

Do any of you know if my Navigation still works over there?
How about the warranty, will I be covered still in Europe?
Navigation won't work.
Warranty will be voided if you take your car outside North America.
Mobile app won't work.