Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difficult to connect via app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
any tricks getting my app to connect? Basically can’t connect 90%of the time once the car goes into sleep mode. Also need to open the door to get the charging door to open which seems to wake the car and allow function via app or charging cord. I have a model S and I have no problem connecting so I do not believe it’s the WiFi or network connection. I’ve rebooted the screen with no improvement. Any tips?

Also, phone works perfectly as a key. Have not had one issue, but unless I unlock doors the car basically never connects stays on “waking up” then get connection error. I put a WiFi extender in my garage thinking it would help but no. Car seems to go into some sort of deep sleep. Model S right next to it I can connect no problem.

I have had this same problem at home as well. I just got my model 3 last week. I am also in the middle of troubleshooting it like you mentioned, and ordered another wireless node to put near my garage thinking that was the issue (just like you).

One of the strange things is, my base home router is a tri band one that has (1) 2.4 ghz and (2) 5ghz networks. The networks have different SSIDs so I have network XXXXX, Network XXXX-5g and network XXXXX 5g-2. The tesla in the garage sees the 2.4 and 5g-2 network but does not see the 5g one even though all three are broadcasting from the same device.

I tried connecting the tesla to the XXXX 5g-2 network (because the 5g ones are faster but have less range) but same problem. I also tried connecting to the XXXXX network (which is the 2.4ghz one) thinking that the tesla may have an issue with the 5g band even though it appeared to connect successfully.

I have been letting the car go to sleep for at least an hour or so without accessing the tesla app, and I dont have any other third party tesla statistical apps running.

The last time the tesla app could not "wake up" the car, I went out to it, and it unlocked fine. when the screen woke up, I could see that the LTE icon was disconnected (had a slash through it). No wifi connection and LTE down. I tapped the LTE icon and checked the wireless networks, there was still a checkmark next to the network I had the car on. during that time LTE connected.

So, thats why I thought it might be a range issue. Although I have a pretty high end router for home, its upstairs and away from the garage so I thought I needed an extender nearer the garage. I just ordered it yesterday and it hasnt come from amazon yet.

It appeared to me that the car goes to a deep sleep and shuts down the wireless during that period of time. My car is getting tinted at a local tint shop as I type this, and I have checked the app several times with no issues on connecting to it (and seeing various doors open on the graphic in the app, which is cool as @#Q!@# to me lmao).

I did a little searching around on this forum and see that others have had the same issue as well. I didnt see any fix for it, so its likely just an issue of how good (or not) our cell signal is in the garage. I "think" the car shuts down the wifi when its sleep, and connects via LTE first, then transitions to wifi when its awake. No proof on that, just guessing.

Anyway, we are not alone, so I would say its "normal" or "its a feature, not a bug" :p

This is my first EV, so I dont have anything else to compare it to, but I have been reading a bunch here. I think I remember reading here somewhere that the Model 3 has "more aggressive sleep" than the Model S or Model X. Not sure of the accuracy of that statement etc, but I remember reading it and that would explain the difference.

FWIW I installed my other router / mesh network node, and it seems to be better for me at home now. Only 2 days though so I dont know if this is actually just placebo or is actually better.

This is my first EV, so I dont have anything else to compare it to,
Well, honestly... even those of us with lots of EV experience are in the same boat, because no other car works quite like this.... no matter how it is powered!

My car initially went to deep sleep almost instantly, and caused all sorts of "wake up issues." I had to have the CPU replaced, and now most functions work much better on a daily basis.

So I’m finding that it wakes up fine if outside on LTE but in the garage where signal is poor and on WiFi it basically won’t wake up at all once it goes to sleep.

I got my tesla wall connector installed on friday, and have had the car plugged into shore power at home since then. I have checked the app several times and the car has been deep asleep, but eventually wakes up every time without errors, unlike prior to the wall connector install where it would error out.

I wonder if the wall connector being connected makes the car not go as "deeply" asleep or something? I dont know, but it now always wakes up in the garage. It takes the same amount of time to wake up as it did when it would error out, but instead of the error and the "retry" icon in the app, it wakes up after the "waking up" wait in the app.

Is yours on shore power all the time in the garage?

No I charge only when needed

Ok, Humor me and try plugging it into shore power for at least an hour (or long enough for it to go all the way to sleep), and see if you can wake it up through the app.

Would be interesting to see what happens if you test that over a few hours and see if you can wake it up every time if you are connected.

As for keeping the car connected or not, I am only doing it because tesla specifically says to, in the manual, the specific quote is below:

=================
Page 122:

"Model 3 has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive your model 3 for several weeks. When plugged in, Model 3 wakes up when needed to automatically maintain a charge level that maximizes the lifetime of the battery.

================

Note, that all caps is not me, thats the exact way it is in the manual. Since tesla put that in the operations manual, and in capital letters no less, I felt it was important.

The last time the tesla app could not "wake up" the car, I went out to it, and it unlocked fine. when the screen woke up, I could see that the LTE icon was disconnected (had a slash through it). No wifi connection and LTE down. I tapped the LTE icon and checked the wireless networks, there was still a checkmark next to the network I had the car on. during that time LTE connected.

Not to "intrude" the Model 3 forum, but my S has the exact same issue. Sometimes it works, but when it is "dead" it will have disabled LTE when I get in the car. It won't get full coverage before 5 mins of driving. Might be that there's a bug putting everything to sleep and it stays there based on some condition.

I have an S as well. When we first got it, it was also impossible to “wake up” but over time (4 yrs no less) seems not to be an issue. It’s unclear but my guess is future software updates improved it.

I don’t charge every night, if you search you’ll find reasons for and against but also some thought Tesla advises so folks have less range anxiety. Don’t think it has anything to do with the battery, and our S has only a few % battery degradation over 4 years so it’s working.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I have to add to this list of odd actions that on my M3 it seems that when the temperature is cold out (35 or less) and I've left the car sitting for 15 mins+ the phone doesn't wake the car as it normally would. A quick wallet check to the b pillar (credit card key inside) is faster than waking it with the app. I don't like standing in the cold wind while its telling me it's waking..... :)

My M3 was delivered Sept 24 2018 and never had a problem waking up anytime until last Sunday Dec 22. Now it stays asleep during the night until next time you unlock the car in the morning. The app comes back and says vehicle connection error. After unlocking the car in the morning, it wakes up with the phone app during the day.

My M3 was delivered Sept 24 2018 and never had a problem waking up anytime until last Sunday Dec 22. Now it stays asleep during the night until next time you unlock the car in the morning. The app comes back and says vehicle connection error. After unlocking the car in the morning, it wakes up with the phone app during the day.

What is the temperature difference from last time it worked?