Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dilemma: 90D vs P90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mean like this?? P90D
i think he meant earning the "right" to use the underline. Non-Ludicrous P90D owners who use the underline will be subject
to public derision and mockery! ;)

I wonder how many P90D owners who do not opt for Ludicrous at purchase wind up adding it later? It seems like it might
be harder to decide to spend that much extra money in isolation than it would be to roll it into an already-large purchase.
Anyone who's done so care to comment?

Hey guys,

Looking for feedback from those who own a 90D and P90D. My situation is this... I'm doing the overnight test drive and Tesla gave me a P90D which totally screwed me up because I had already decided upon the 90D. With my vehicles, I always purchase them loaded so I don't have any regrets. Mind you, I may not use all of the features but there would be that time where if I didn't have them and I wanted to use, I would regret.

I'm really struggling with sticking with the 90D or going with the P90D but in my mind, I'm having a very difficult time accepting the cost difference vs what I will be getting. I hear that some owners who purchased the 90D in that if they had to do it all over again, they would go with the P90D instead. I also hear that the 90D feels heavier compared to the P90D, maybe not as nimble or because of more torque? No, I will not be ordering with Ludicrous mode enabled.

Besides the increase in acceleration, what is the P90D giving me over the 90D that warrants such a hefty increase in price?

Thanks in advance!
Scott

Take the range and the savings.

Most of my friends that have the P90DL have said that after a dozen or so launches it gets old. That's a pretty hefty price to pay for a novelty. Virtually every time I have launched my 90D every passenger but my wife has asked me to never do it again with them in the car because it made them feel sick. My wife loves it though!:)

My gf threatens to vomit all over the upholstery if I do any launches while she's in the car. (She gets motion sick easily)

The launching is fun (and I never get tired of it) but for me, it's the day to day extra passing speed that Ludicrous provides that I notice every time I need to change lanes at highway speeds. Since I had Insane for a good year before going to Ludicrous was a noticeable change for me. The great thing is, with the P90D, you can always add the Ludicrous later.

Reactions: K Hall
I have to make the decision in the fall of 2017 (hopefully between a 100D and a P100D). It will be interesting to see what if any effect the 100 battery will have on the car's performance.

The 90D has the same 4.2 second 0-60 time as the ICE car I currently have (which is gracious plenty). What you need and what you want are two different things. Assuming the 100D doesn't crack the 4 second 0-60 mark, I am inclined to go with the P90D or the P100D, because dropping a full second on the 0 to 60 time is probably worth the extra hit. I am not currently inclined to go with Ludicrous, because the slight increase in performance isn't work it to me. Besides, my days of drag racing Dodge Charger Hell Cats are probably over.

I ended up with a P90DL. And like many others, I found engaging the L-mode was a lot of fun when showing off to family and friends. But after the novelty wears off I don't use it that much. The P90D in normal Sport mode is plenty fast and more than enough to win drag races with most cars. I don't know how it compares with a 90D but unless you're craving for stop light superiority I don't think the P is necessary. However the D is absolutely fabulous for stability. I also orderedr the brake calipers to be black instead of red to keep it stealthy

If you believe the tesla website P models have 2 rear motors vs. 1 for the non P models, doubling the torque where you want it most.

I have a p90dL and can confirm nobody needs a car this powerful or fast. A sensible man can do with less. However yolo and I have no regrets, and everyone who experiences it says it's a life changing event.

It's a blast. Plan on replacing tires often.

• Funny
Reactions: K Hall
From my reading of others testing via the can bus / direct link under the dash, the P90D and P90DL are the same up until 30mph at 30 the P90DL starts accelerating faster so that 40-60 your talking about is the sweet spot for when that power comes in!

P90D Cars ordered with ludicrous come with a higher power battery then cars upgraded later. They do not replace your battery if you upgrade later.
Nor do they rebadge you, right? This sounds like a relevant distinction in the used market, since presumably the upgraded battery is
worth more than the original. I'll bet not one buyer in twenty would think to ask this question, though.