Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dim Back-up lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else have very dim backup lights on your 2021 Model Y? I took it to the shop and one of the repair managers took pictures and confirmed how dim my backup lights were. Nothing has happened, though. I want to know if anyone else has this problem, or it is just my car.

I along with several coworkers have complained about this to the SC and how this makes the backup useless at night. One coworkers service request was basically closed and was told that a software update should "fix" it, but that has been the same msg they've been telling owners for months.

My ticket is still open, but I imagine they will cancel my appointment as well and tell me to just wait for a software update.

So are the lights actually dim, or is the backup camera just making the view darker because of them? The camera wouldn't be as affected by the red lights, so it makes sense that the camera isn't stopping down because of the brake lights.

I see the same thing, but haven't gotten out of the car to look myself.

My bad. Correct, I was implying the darkness of the backup camera itself, which can be adjusted via software update. I guess I’ve never been outside my car when backing to notice the actual illumination. The side cameras are good and bright with no illumination so clearly an aperture setting will improve camera visibility.

Reactions: Sixth
So are the lights actually dim, or is the backup camera just making the view darker because of them? The camera wouldn't be as affected by the red lights, so it makes sense that the camera isn't stopping down because of the brake lights.

I see the same thing, but haven't gotten out of the car to look myself.

When I took my Model Y to the San Francisco Repair shop, one guy took a comparison photo of my backup lights when in reverse next to a 2020 Model Y and there is a distinct difference in brightness. Mine were weak and the 2020 version was brighter. I don't think it is a camera issue. Either the bulbs are weak or there is less voltage going to the backup lights on the 2021 model. I'd like someone at Tesla to look into this issue. I don't think the dim lights are as safe as brighter lights would be.

The first time I backed up at night I had the same feeling, the lights were way too dim. (2020 MY vin 48xxx) If they can fix it with software, that would be great. But I won't hold my breath. Does anyone know if there are aftermarket replacement bulbs, like they have for the puddle lights?

i saw people in youtube change the backup light to a brighter bulb.

they are all led, so still draw very low power, and much brighter.

Do you have a reference for that video?

The only video I found, 'NEW Model 3 Tail Lights', was a guy putting in a sequential light, and that video said that disassembling the (older) taillight was destructive.

Last edited:
When I took my Model Y to the San Francisco Repair shop, one guy took a comparison photo of my backup lights when in reverse next to a 2020 Model Y and there is a distinct difference in brightness. Mine were weak and the 2020 version was brighter. I don't think it is a camera issue. Either the bulbs are weak or there is less voltage going to the backup lights on the 2021 model. I'd like someone at Tesla to look into this issue. I don't think the dim lights are as safe as brighter lights would be.

Our Y is 2020, I know for a fact it wasn’t always like this.

It's mostly software since Model 3 owners are having similar issues and the backup camera was working perfectly fine prior to a previous update. I used to be a freelance photographer so this is photography stuff:

It's just the way they coded it in low-light situations. The rear camera uses RCCC sensors and the reverse lights are bright. The software is detecting too much light and ends up using settings that make for a dark screen.

If you've ever taken a photo during the day when there's snow on the ground, or a photo of a white car and the image comes out darker? It's because the software is "seeing too much" light, so it adjusts the settings (shutter speed, ISO, and/or aperture) to make the image darker. The same is occurring in the Tesla. The reverse lights are confusing the software and it adjusts the settings too much resulting in a dark screen. The odd thing is that it doesn't affect all Ys, just some. Usually with software coding like this, there would be a more widespread problem.