Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Directline insurance FSD and Acceleration Boost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just called Directline to tell them I upgraded to FSD so expected my premium to go up due to the higher replacement cost of the car. But there is no increase. That’s nice.

While I was on I asked about Acceleration Boost and how much extra insurance would cost for that. Again, there would be no premium increase. Good to know.
Any idea about PPF and De-Chrome? Heard previously that they won't insure if PPF applied which seems odd if they're not charging extra for FSD or the acceleration boost.

I had the same experience with my insurance company. I bought the car in December including the FSD option but the acceleration boost was not available at that point. I added it this year and called the insurance company to let them know but they only recorded that I had this upgrade and did not increase the premium. Pleasant surprise! The other question is whether in theory you should inform your insurance company every time you install a software update, whether this is a free or optional update at extra cost? Since even some of the free updates have changed the performance characteristics of the car, presumably insurance companies could argue that this should be reported, given that you always actively choose to install them. Does anyone actually let their insurance company know when they install a free update?

I don't think the insurance companies will have a problem so long as the car remains to manufacturers standard spec.

As for avoiding software updates, see how long you can avoid taking one for? Early May Tesla had planned to shutdown (whether they did or not is unknown) and if you were not up to a certain version that was released right towards the end of last year, your car would lose significant functionality and would never be able to be upgraded again without a service visit.

Another reason for taking regular software updated will come when autonomous features become more common. The car will become an insurance liability, possibly even become illegal if the firmware it contains does not match the manufacturers supported versions.

I had the same experience with my insurance company. I bought the car in December including the FSD option but the acceleration boost was not available at that point. I added it this year and called the insurance company to let them know but they only recorded that I had this upgrade and did not increase the premium. Pleasant surprise! The other question is whether in theory you should inform your insurance company every time you install a software update, whether this is a free or optional update at extra cost? Since even some of the free updates have changed the performance characteristics of the car, presumably insurance companies could argue that this should be reported, given that you always actively choose to install them. Does anyone actually let their insurance company know when they install a free update?
-How is the acceleration boost upgrade ? Fun ? Worth £1.5k ?
-Have you driven the performance model and able to make a direct comparison?
-Once payment is made how long before you get the update and how long is the update In order to upgrade ?
-Does the acceleration boost cause any significant range issues ?

If you follow that theory you would need to contact the insurance every time your ICE was updated on a service (if they even told you)! I've personally never had insurance increased for any factory or dealer fitted options.

Interesting question. I had my LR for about a week before upgrading to acceleration boost. The fastest accelerating cars I've ever owned were a 2004 911 S and a 2011 XKR both of which were performance autoboxes and about 4.5 secs. Although on paper much the same, the Tesla seemed faster than both presumably because there's no gearchanging - it's just torque all the way. However, with the upgrade, the most apparent thing was the push in the chest the second the pedal is floored. I'm guessing that will be the experience with faster Tesla's - not necessarily a perception of greater speed but greater G-force.

-Once payment is made how long before you get the update and how long is the update In order to upgrade ?
I think whether you feel the upgrade is worth the cost is always going to be subjective and opinions will vary. What I can say is that I don’t regret buying the upgrade, would do it again and enjoy the push you back into your seat feel of the acceleration every time I drive it! I can certainly notice the acceleration boost but it was already pretty fast so up to you whether you feel like the difference is worth £1500. For me, yes it was. I haven’t noticed any obvious drop in range since upgrading but I also haven’t made any well controlled tests of this so can’t rule out it has a small effect. More likely it just encourages you to use the acceleration more and that probably has the biggest impact on the range you will achieve for the same state of charge!

• Helpful
Reactions: tj333

My wife bought me this for my birthday in May...

- I've driven a Model 3P quite a lot in America along with an S P90D but never back to back. Both are faster & I would say that the first instant off the line they feel it but literally just the first fraction, especially the P90D. It's hard to tell though as the LR+ is still mighty impressive. Where it really kicks in is the acceleration once moving at anything over a few mph. I should be ashamed to say at my age that a few miles after supercharging to 90% I was overtaken by a P85 Model S (that had been on an another charger) on a dual carriageway, accelerated up to him and stayed with him (slowing to try & lose me a couple of times) all the way up to a speed just below the point where we would both get a short term ban!

It's worth remembering too that the M3P is rated by Tesla at 3.2 sec with 1' rollout whereas they measure the LR 4.4 and 3.9 from a standing start (allegedly to justify cost differentials between various models). Owners in the USA have used Draggy to measure the LR+ & claim 3.5 sec like-for-like.

- The wife clicked the link at around 8.30 that morning. By the time I got down to the car 15 mins later & looked at 'Driving' options on the screen, the standard acceleration option had already changed to sport.

- No issues apart from the fact that range will fall if you accelerate a little more aggressively from time to time just for the hell of it. Other than that I've still seen the same overall range and kWh usage when I'm driving sensibly.

• Informative
Reactions: Horatio Alger
What a lovely, thoughtful present!
There is a postscript though...

A week or two later she had to go to the optician with a bad blur in one of her eyes. It was diagnosed as a detached & floating retina & he asked if she'd had any sudden jerks or movements to her head . Guess who/what got the blame for that?

(....didn't work trying to pass the blame to whoever bought the upgrade :rolleyes:)

I think whether you feel the upgrade is worth the cost is always going to be subjective and opinions will vary. What I can say is that I don’t regret buying the upgrade, would do it again and enjoy the push you back into your seat feel of the acceleration every time I drive it! I can certainly notice the acceleration boost but it was already pretty fast so up to you whether you feel like the difference is worth £1500. For me, yes it was. I haven’t noticed any obvious drop in range since upgrading but I also haven’t made any well controlled tests of this so can’t rule out it has a small effect. More likely it just encourages you to use the acceleration more and that probably has the biggest impact on the range you will achieve for the same state of charge!
Sounds like that extra half a second is well worth it !

• Funny
Reactions: AnthonyLR
I finally pressed the button and purchased the acceleration boost. I phoned Direct Line to inform them and confirm there would be no increase in premium as they had told me originally and they had no clue what acceleration boost was. They have gone away to talk with the underwriter and will phone me back. Grrrrrr

I finally pressed the button and purchased the acceleration boost. I phoned Direct Line to inform them and confirm there would be no increase in premium as they had told me originally and they had no clue what acceleration boost was. They have gone away to talk with the underwriter and will phone me back. Grrrrrr
Did the same today.48 Hours refund available.£40 extra insurance based on apparently 50HP increase.The acceleration from 0 to 60mph on a private road is amazing.However i thought that acceleration from, say, a give way or roundabout would be faster however that's not the case without really depressing your right foot down far.I thought the boost would always be there but its only there in a straight line really.It does not improve motorway overtaking either with that extra power...I like the way it says no ugrades available now on the app though.Going to apply for a refund tomorrow and check what the car was like originally then perhaps re-purchase.Also the car reads CHILL/SPORT not as I thought CHILL/STANDARD/SPORT.I am not entirely convinced unless I am doing something wrong.

The acceleration boost happens around 30mph & from then onwards performance is allegedly the same as the P model (according to USA Draggy testers) but with an ultimately lower maximum mph of course. It is most useful & noticeable in the 30-50mph overtaking range.

Reactions: AnthonyLR