Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dirt and Snow Coilover - Unplugged Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They haven't delivered any yet. That said - their Luxury coilovers has reviewed well and since they manufacture through a well known coilovers company - I don't see any reason why this doesn't improve the ride...

Just frustrated by the wait though...
So who does manufacture them then? I'm curious, as the maker will tell us a lot about shock quality.

To the actual buyer:

What is the movement range of the shock from fully compressed to fully hanging versus stock?

Did you get info on spring rates?

To the actual buyer:

What is the movement range of the shock from fully compressed to fully hanging versus stock?

Did you get info on spring rates?
I’m sure unlimited can provide ground truth, i have no idea how to measure it. Of course it must depend on the height chosen, I added 1.75ish inches from stock.

Reactions: Atraf
Looks great- Off-topic question, is someone on the way to replace the roof rack bars with one that are flat/straight? I carry a lot of ad hoc stuff but putting a whole rack makes the view from the interior looks like a cage.

I have had zero time to write a review . In the meantime, some pics.
Eager to read your review. There is a good chance we will be moving back to Oahu next year. The roads over there are awful, and I figured these might help. So, I went ahead and ordered, not knowing when they might come in. I hope they are working well for you.

Any update on these? I was about to order the luxury ones but am torn. My wife hates the ride on the stock ones and for how little I truly need the added height I may stick with the luxury one. That being said if it could got to about 8" clearance and get a better ride I may give it a shot.

Any update on these? I was about to order the luxury ones but am torn. My wife hates the ride on the stock ones and for how little I truly need the added height I may stick with the luxury one. That being said if it could got to about 8" clearance and get a better ride I may give it a shot.
I did a lot of research on suspension options and even had a preorder for UP's dirt and snow coilovers; however, UP was pretty coy about providing any useful technical information, such as how much travel they actually have. Also there are some accounts over in the lifted Model Y owners thread about excessive NVH with the UP coilovers due to their upper spring perch design, at least on one person's Model Y. Between the lack of information from UP and the experiences of others, I decided to go with MPP comfort coilovers coupled with their lift kit (install scheduled for March 4th), which there is excellent feedback both on this site and the internet in general. Plus MPP customer support is second to none, whereas it took days to hear back from UP.

Reactions: Atraf and EchoDelta
Eager to read your review. There is a good chance we will be moving back to Oahu next year. The roads over there are awful, and I figured these might help. So, I went ahead and ordered, not knowing when they might come in. I hope they are working well for you.
Interesting. Maui roads are pretty good. I didn't notice the MY's issues until i got it back to California.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
There are some technical advantages to Ohlins and some to the KW. On a purely tech level, the Ohlins have the lead. However, the real thing that matters is the execution. The coyness of OP is a dealbreaker.

No matter what you go with, I'm still not convinced that the shocks and springs are enough to fix the ride.

No matter what you go with, I'm still not convinced that the shocks and springs are enough to fix the ride.
@Jigglypuff How smooth do you want your Tesla? Sounds like a P100D era Model S (2018 ish), or maybe a Raven era one (2020 ish) would do you better than a Model Y. (I don't think I've driven a Raven but I've read they're smooth.) The last P100D loaner I had was very smooth (and quiet) wearing some squishy low-grip allseasons. It also felt like a big heavy tank in the turns, but such is the tradeoff sometimes!

(Model S suspensions and handling characteristics have varied considerably over the years btw, e.g. a P85+ feels wildly different from that P100D, and both feel very different than a coil spring S, and by most accounts the new 2021+ S feels very different & much firmer than its immediate predecessors, probably the firmest S since the P85+ / early P85D, maybe even stiffer.)

@Jigglypuff How smooth do you want your Tesla? Sounds like a P100D era Model S (2018 ish), or maybe a Raven era one (2020 ish) would do you better than a Model Y. (I don't think I've driven a Raven but I've read they're smooth.) The last P100D loaner I had was very smooth (and quiet) wearing some squishy low-grip allseasons. It also felt like a big heavy tank in the turns, but such is the tradeoff sometimes!

(Model S suspensions and handling characteristics have varied considerably over the years btw, e.g. a P85+ feels wildly different from that P100D, and both feel very different than a coil spring S, and by most accounts the new 2021+ S feels very different & much firmer than its immediate predecessors, probably the firmest S since the P85+ / early P85D, maybe even stiffer.)
I think my E60 550i with sport suspension (active roll bars) was pretty darned good. Little roll in the corner. Plenty of grip. Smooth most of the time.
Our Forester is pretty good too, but it rolls too much in the corners.
On the sportier side, there's the FRS, which is underdamped and rough, but pays off in handling.
I thought the M3P I drove was pretty good but not great.
The MY is just a mess.
I look forward to the i4 M50.
My perfect suspension would be magnetic shocks like Cadillac and many other GM products, combined with active anti-roll and rear wheel steering.
Porsche does all that but with air instead of magnetic, which is meh.

I did a lot of research on suspension options and even had a preorder for UP's dirt and snow coilovers; however, UP was pretty coy about providing any useful technical information, such as how much travel they actually have. Also there are some accounts over in the lifted Model Y owners thread about excessive NVH with the UP coilovers due to their upper spring perch design, at least on one person's Model Y. Between the lack of information from UP and the experiences of others, I decided to go with MPP comfort coilovers coupled with their lift kit (install scheduled for March 4th), which there is excellent feedback both on this site and the internet in general. Plus MPP customer support is second to none, whereas it took days to hear back from UP.

Reactions: Jigglypuff
Kirk Nason at UP has been absolutely amazing in helping me spec out the kit for my soon to arrive MY. I told him that I commute to Tahoe City every day and need the snow clearance. My RAV4 hybrid is 8.4” tall and was planning on 2” spacer lift for a 10.4” ride height. When I found the dirt and snow kit, the expectation is realistic to get 10.6” of clearance maybe 11” total depending on tire. Based on pics he sent, I like the wheel to fender clearance. Definitely more room for perhaps an inch to and inch and a half taller tire. Kirk advised on adjustable control arms to get the camber correct as well as the other parts listed below for best results.:

Dirt And Snow Coilover Suspension Kit For Tesla Model Y $2,495.00 USD
Billet Height-Adjustable Rear Spring Arms – Ultimate Edition for Tesla Model Y $945.00 USD
Adjustable Front Upper Control Arms – Ultimate Edition for Tesla Model Y $1,595.00 USD
Billet Adjustable Rear Camber Arm Set for Tesla Model Y V3 $399.00 USD
Adjustable Sway Bar Set for Tesla Model Y (Front + Rear) $565.00 USD

Total is $5999.00 not including Shipping, and if in CA, Tax.

Attachments

• C899C904-A100-4ABB-8410-11AF8C8490C1.jpeg
    C899C904-A100-4ABB-8410-11AF8C8490C1.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 46AAA480-CB9A-49A8-B36F-6DB2C51FE4C3.jpeg
    46AAA480-CB9A-49A8-B36F-6DB2C51FE4C3.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 5BB176AF-25FB-454C-8ED7-B2BBAE50CA70.jpeg
    5BB176AF-25FB-454C-8ED7-B2BBAE50CA70.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 19371E63-0161-4F4A-AAED-980928EBB542.jpeg
    19371E63-0161-4F4A-AAED-980928EBB542.jpeg
    302.7 KB · Views: 123
  • D24E9969-6177-414B-B87F-45663AABF3E7.jpeg
    D24E9969-6177-414B-B87F-45663AABF3E7.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: Atraf
I would love to hear your thoughts on our Dirt and Snow Coil-over kits! At Unplugged Performance, we constantly strive to improve and upgrade our products with each production batch to create the best experience you can have in a Tesla. Those asking about our supplier, it's us! All of our suspension components are manufactured domestically in California, and the final assembly takes place in Hawthorne, California, where we are headquartered. That's partially why many of our products contain a long wait. Just as Elon said, "Prototypes are easy, production is hard," and our team is working diligently to improve daily! As always, we are on standby to assist and answer any questions! 👍

I would love to hear your thoughts on our Dirt and Snow Coil-over kits! At Unplugged Performance, we constantly strive to improve and upgrade our products with each production batch to create the best experience you can have in a Tesla. Those asking about our supplier, it's us! All of our suspension components are manufactured domestically in California, and the final assembly takes place in Hawthorne, California, where we are headquartered. That's partially why many of our products contain a long wait. Just as Elon said, "Prototypes are easy, production is hard," and our team is working diligently to improve daily! As always, we are on standby to assist and answer any questions! 👍
Who makes the shocks you guys use? That's my main question.

Reactions: lvl2EV