Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dirty water spots stuck on ceramic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car got dirty over the weekend and I wasn't able to wash it for a few days. Rinsed it off and the water/dirt droplets after it dried won't come off.

I have a ceramic coating on the car and I use ONR with big red sponge and microfiber towels. Used a spray bottle to let it soak in for a bit before I washed but no help.

How to fix?

Attachments

• IMG_1717.jpg
    IMG_1717.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_1718.jpeg
    IMG_1718.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 225
I have no good answers, but I had crap similar to that from parking lot sprinklers. Might have even been reclaimed water.

I don’t remember my solution. Might have had to resort to a light polish or vinegar. It was a while ago.

Why ceramic coating when it does not protect?
Because not all ceramic coatings are equal and more to the point not all applications of the ceramic coat are equal.

On my current ICE car it took 4 days in total to paint correct and ceramic coat the car. You could wipe anything off that coating with just a spray of water. Bird droppings, tree sap, anything. There's something wrong if scale from water isn't wiping off after wetting. It shows it's adhering to the surface which doesn't happen with a proper wax or ceramic coat.

i did my cquartzuk 3.0 this week..... is it strange im excited for the first rain of my new car? hopefully i did a good job, 2 coats plus a topcoat of gliss.

the waterspots are strange, my other cars i have done all steps except ceramic and used sio2 paint protections/sealants and nothing sticks to them, water looks like the red picture above. just have to apply more often

Ceramic coatings do not protect well from hard water. As the water evaporates the minerals remain. Then they begin to etch into the coating and clear coat. You can try to dissolve them if you catch it early. Almost every coating maker also offers a water spot remover product. If you can't dissolve them you'll need abrasive action like clay or polish. But at that point you are likely removing the coating in the process.

This is one of the biggest reasons you want protection that sheets - not beads. Beads cause the water (and minerals) to remain on the car leaving you with water spots after the water evaporates. Sheeting is not as sexy looking so everyone is making protection that beads.

Hydrophobic properties do not tell you anything on how well a product protects from elements. Only that your protection can bead water.

As others have mentioned, water spots will form on any painted surface whether it's coated or not. A good silicon carbide coating prevents those minerals from causing permanent damage to your factory clear coat. If caught early enough, those spots can easily be wiped off with ONR like you described. In your case, you either waited a significant period of time (weeks) before addressing these contaminants, or the coating you purchased is substandard, or both.
Either way, I would recommend taking it back to the installing shop and asking them what to do. Addressing this yourself is asking for expensive trouble later on. Some people with DIY experience in this will offer suggestions, but to the newbie it's dangerous territory experimenting/learning on your car.

Reactions: dwalme