Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappearing Bluetooth Door Locking Radios

Which door locking radios appear on your phone's Bluetooth control panel?

• ####D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ####P

• ####R

• ####(Other)

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm gonna throw in my experience here. I have an iPhone X running IOS 13.3.1. I've had my M3P for nearly 3 months and 3,600 miles, and not had one instance of failure to unlock. I do not leave the app running all the time, often close it by swiping up and also switch the phone off overnight. I've just been to the car with a freshly restarted phone with no app running and it opened the door - but only the drivers side. I did not get in the car, just opened the door. Having just tried again, it now opens from the passenger side too.

I've checked and do not have a radio key showing in the phones BT listing - although I did have one before restarting the phone. I do, however, have the Tesla Model 3 showing in the list which is the one used for media playback - just proved that by trying BT playback from the phone.

Also worth mentioning that my phone is the only one synced to the car, no others in the family have been set up yet. Not sure where that leaves us with figuring out how it all works.

Last edited:
same observation, here, only the C's are showing up on my ble scans.

there are about 20 teslas where I work (almost funny) and when I do a ble scan, I get so many of the tesla BT radios, but never do I see more than 1 per car. I've read about the 4 that 'should' be there, but not a single tesla in our parking lot or garage shows anything other than the new-normal one. I walked around, trying to get more than 1 per car. no dice.

I'm really curious why the change.

I'm also curious why they even thought they needed 4 of them. when I scan, the one that is sending seems to be from the console center area, inside the car. yes, it does need to know if you are in or out of the car and I guess this one radio does that, and it also can let you unlock the car from any direction.

maybe the radiation from all 4 were interfering with each other? just a WAG. would love to know, for sure.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I was under the impression that Tesla use bluetooth for comms on quite a few of their internal components. Bluetooth Low Energy lends itself to that and removes the need for wiring busses all over the place. Slightly more expensive electronics but so much more flexible, lighter and massive savings in production.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
you can't count on BT for 'serious stuff' and so, no car manuf that I know of would trust BT for any kind of 'bus' in a car.

cars use CAN bus and that has a lot of fault tolerance. ethernet has FT too, in some ways (extra layers can easily make it asil-d kind of reliable).

I don't think BT would even be asil-b rated, to be honest. its just such crap (lets be honest).

BT has its place, but never as an important bus in a car. for location PEPs, sure. for playback of audio, sure. exchange address book info, sure. authenticate to the car, sure. but beyond stuff like that, I would never trust BT, either classic or LE variants.

even for things like window up/down switches, they (most car makers) use LIN bus and its wired, not wireless.