Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappearing Free Supercharger Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SSJ1

Apr 23, 2021
USA
Picked up my M3 LR last week and it had 1000 free super charger miles as I used a friends referral code. Noticed today it went down to 940 miles. I haven’t used a Tesla super charger since taking delivery.

Any ideas?

Go to your Tesla account on the interweb, then click on 'charging' on the second line(between Home and Settings). There may be a second page with older stuff stored as fairly awkward csv downloads, but you shouldn't need them.
Thanks!

So yes It looks like the charging prior to delivery was deducted from the 1000 miles. Is this normal?

If I didn't have referred miles, would they charged me before even picking up my new car? LOL

Thanks!

So yes It looks like the charging prior to delivery was deducted from the 1000 miles. Is this normal?

If I didn't have referred miles, would they charged me before even picking up my new car? LOL
I doubt you would have been charged if you didnt have any free supercharger miles. I suspect its all automated, and the miles were attached to your account before you went to charge. You dont say where your location is. Do you happen to be in a location where tesla cant sell cars (thus the car is paid for before pickup / delivery)?

Also, just as a FYI because I totally 100% get the "principle of the matter" argument, 60 miles is likely somewhere around $15 worth of supercharging. If you figure it off your home electricity rate, it may be more or less. At the supercharger billing rate, its likely between $15-$16.

Depending on what you make an hour, you have likely already spent more than that thinking about this and posting about, than it actually cost (or will cost in the future, if you use all your free miles).

One more time, to be clear, I get 100% the principle of the matter situation, but was not sure a new owner would be aware that the worth of 60 miles of supercharging is likelyu 15-16 dollars.

I doubt you would have been charged if you didnt have any free supercharger miles. I suspect its all automated, and the miles were attached to your account before you went to charge. You dont say where your location is. Do you happen to be in a location where tesla cant sell cars (thus the car is paid for before pickup / delivery)?

Also, just as a FYI because I totally 100% get the "principle of the matter" argument, 60 miles is likely somewhere around $15 worth of supercharging. If you figure it off your home electricity rate, it may be more or less. At the supercharger billing rate, its likely between $15-$16.

Depending on what you make an hour, you have likely already spent more than that thinking about this and posting about, than it actually cost (or will cost in the future, if you use all your free miles).

One more time, to be clear, I get 100% the principle of the matter situation, but was not sure a new owner would be aware that the worth of 60 miles of supercharging is likelyu 15-16 dollars.

Price per supercharge varies from location to location... I didn't get anything deducted when I picked up my new car with 90% charge last week (the service center does NOT have superchargers, only destination chargers). Last Friday I hit a supercharger to do it before I need to on a road trip so I'd know what to expect. I rolled in at 38% battery and left with 80%. Car screen said under $10 for the session, and loot box showed I used 85 "miles" of my 1000 free "miles" from the referral.

I wish I would have recorded the KWh of that session to calculate the quantity of the 1000 "miles"... I think it's near 400KWh in reality.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Very interesting. It costs ~$.25/mile to operate a Model 3 when Supercharging? Yikes!. I just did a 600 mile road trip yesterday in my ICE crossover and fuel for the entire trip was only $57. In a Tesla, assuming no home charging, that trip would have cost ~$150. So much for the myth of electric vehicles being less expensive to operate from a fuel perspective, at least on road trips where you must Supercharge.

Very interesting. It costs ~$.25/mile to operate a Model 3 when Supercharging? Yikes!. I just did a 600 mile road trip yesterday in my ICE crossover and fuel for the entire trip was only $57. In a Tesla, assuming no home charging, that trip would have cost ~$150. So much for the myth of electric vehicles being less expensive to operate from a fuel perspective, at least on road trips where you must Supercharge.
Yeah, I should be called out on this, because i used the wrong numbers.

I used the cost of .23 to .26 cents per kWh and used miles instead of kWh. Translation, its a lot cheaper than I said. Ill stop with "da maths" right now, except to say that it should be quite a bit cheaper than what I said for those 60 miles, which magnifies the point I was attempting to get at.

60 "miles" of supercharging credits deducted is NOT 60 miles of actual range...

It's not so much of a matter of money but rather curiosity as to where the credits magically disappeared. It wasn't until today I noticed as it was showing the full 1000 until this week. Probably just a mistake on there end which is nbd.

60 miles is likely somewhere around $15 worth of supercharging.
Yeah, I should be called out on this, because i used the wrong numbers.

I used the cost of .23 to .26 cents per kWh and used miles instead of kWh. Translation, its a lot cheaper than I said. Ill stop with "da maths" right now, except to say that it should be quite a bit cheaper than what I said for those 60 miles, which magnifies the point I was attempting to get at.
Yeah, I knew something was off. 60 miles would be about 20 kWh. Even at a bad rate of 30 cents per, that's only $6.

Data point: I charged at a Supercharger a month ago where it was $0.21/kWh. 70 miles of range equated being charged (on my credit card) $3.78. Or 5.4 cents per mile.
My previous car, a 2000 BMW 323i, got at best an average of 25MPG (mostly highway; some city driving). The current price for regular gas here in the Bay Area is above $4 a gallon, but to keep the math simple, let's call it $4 even. This equates to a 16 cents per mile cost to drive my old BMW. Using my example above, at the worst case (i.e., most expensive) Supercharging cost of $0.42/kWh, it would have run me $7.56 for the 70 miles (18kWh) that was added to my car. Or, 10.8 cents per mile; still much cheaper than the Bimmer.

Put another way, if I choose to Supercharge at $0.21/kWh, gas would have to be $1.35/gal for a car that gets 25MPG to be equal in running cost on a cents/mile basis; I'm ignoring additional costs inherent in ICE vehicles like oil changes.

Back OT: 1000 free Supercharging miles is worth $54 in my case. That's assuming I'm going to the cheapest SC station. Double it to $108 if I hit the SC that costs $0.42kWh. Yeah it was kinda of cheap of Tesla to deduct those miles because they charged your car prior to delivery. My own car had about "1/2 tank" when I picked it up in 2018. This was offset by several Supercharging sessions that were never posted to my account; going on over a year after I had my car.

ref: Fremont Delivery Center: What to expect?

I had a reverse issue. Picked up the car and went straight to super charger to fill'er up from 38% to 81%, went home to notice the message was still showing pending pick up so messaged the SA to close work order, post that the message disappered. Checked my free supercharger miles usage and nothing shows that I charged my car, no miles deduction and no record entry! :confused:

It seems the free supercharging miles were converted to kWh at a rate of 5 miles = 2 kWh; by this math, it amounted to about 400 kWh of free supercharging. Since I am generally using about 250 Wh per mile, I would get about 1,600 actual miles.

As the disclaimer goes, your mileage may vary.