Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Disappearing" Windshield Wiper Fluid [Update: passenger side wiper hose was not connected]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Model-3 Owners & Drivers,

Not sure what's going on, I usually check and top-off the wiper fluids of the cars I own on a monthly basis and have seen that my Model-3's wiper fluid level always down, I garage park the Model-3 at work and home.

I usually almost don't use the wiper fluid as I hand clean the windshield glass regularly. Still the fluid level goes down, I must be topping it off by around 100 mls (give or take a few mls every time, doesn't matter any season). Also, there is no fluid on the ground where the car is parked, so leaks are out of question.

So, my question for M-3 owner if they too have seen such an "anomaly" & what causes it??

Thanks!

It's not mostly alcohol in many formulations - it's water based. The system is closed and you should NOT be seeing that level of evaporation.
I use 303 tablets in distilled water (which I recommend) and have the same problem. I think that the problems is leaks (maybe yours are as you drive around or the rate is slow enough that the water evaporates by the time you check under the car), as I used just under half a gallon with about 6-8 squirts of the wipers. I plan on having service address it along with the non-spraying driver side wiper.

• Funny
Reactions: FuzzyFeltDeath
I haven’t refilled mine yet but am curious what people are using to refill with.
RainX Bug Remover. I started mixing it into the stock Tesla blue as that dropped. I'm where it mostly doesn't freeze, mostly, so I've been using the cheaper summer formula (they call it "all season" but only rate it to 32F) but come September I'll probably start replacing it with something that'll take freezing temps in case I end up traveling North in the winter, again.

I've found it works well on bugs (even though I still sometimes need to manually remove the last of the Big'ins), and it actually does impart a modest "Rain-X" beading effect on the windshield over time, inside your wiper's radius. It's only about $2.50 gal, if you shop around. I find it is worth that extra $1.50 a gal.

I can't say have noticed any mysterious drops in level? Although maybe I go through enough that I wouldn't?

You don't see any puddling under the car, away from the usual A/C puddling? Even if you are losing some from sloshing in higher G turns, you'd probably see at least a bit of dribble if you park soon after.

FYI tesla owners manual clearly states to NOT use any Bug Removers in the washer fluid.
FYI I read that and promptly disregarded it as CYA nonsense until such time that Tesla could develop genetically engineered bugs, and release them to displaces bugs in wild, that will instinctually keep clear of my windshield (and hopefully the nose, that'd save me a lot more work, too).

<edit> Incidentally a Ranger offered to, and topped off my WW reservoir with my bottle of Rain-X Bug when I asked him not to put in his stock blue fluid. :)

Last edited:
I use 303 tablets in distilled water (which I recommend) and have the same problem.

Come October, that'd be a nightmare here. Sorry - I have to use some form of antifreezing spray; would have a very bad day with 303+distilled. Frozen windshield would be the least of it ... the frozen, cracked plastic tank would be a much bigger concern.

So I had the same issue and I found my problem. I removed the passenger washer fluid hose and tested. NO washer fluid coming out. Back tracked the problem to the passenger wiper hose. It was NOT connected to the Y fluid feed. With high hose resistance only on the drivers side most of the fluid spilled over my 12 volt batter area from the unconnected spout. Not good! I connected the hose and now it works like it's suppose to be! Now it made sense why my fluid was draining so fast, it was spewing all over the battery compartment.

To inspect the hose just prop open the top cover and make sure both hoses are attached to the Y fluid feed.

Reactions: SlimJim
Adding photos to the windshield wiper fluid issue. This is where Tesla failed to connect the passenger wiper blade hose. With little or no pressure resistance on the unconnected spout all of my washer fluid spewed all over the battery compartment area. I wished I looked at this area sooner, thought it was a design problem until I decided to verify if it was a defect.
20191111_173844.jpg
20191111_173901.jpg
20191111_173915.jpg

Adding photos to the windshield wiper fluid issue. This is where Tesla failed to connect the passenger wiper blade hose. With little or no pressure resistance on the unconnected spout all of my washer fluid spewed all over the battery compartment area. I wished I looked at this area sooner, thought it was a design problem until I decided to verify if it was a defect. View attachment 476252 View attachment 476253 View attachment 476254

Wow... Thanks for the pics. I recently got my car and when I went to use the washer the other day it didn't work. I assumed I wasn't pushing the correct button but now I'll look into it further.

• Informative
Reactions: sauhsoj