Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed then just mad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to take delivery of my Long Range AWD last Friday. Blue build date 8/31 Vin 43xxx. Ordered on 2/2/20. Postponed delivery in March due to pandemic, then again in June due to Quarter end build issues. Encouraged by the reports of better build quality in early Q3. I decided to try again. Got a Vehicle assigned early Sept, build date late Aug, delivery 9/18. Everything looks fine. Checked out the bearded Tesla Guys Sept Quality Review Video, my heart sank. New issue cropping up on late Aug Builds. Door bottoms were not flush with rocket panel and rear fender trim. Must be isolated I thought bad batch, mine would surely be OK. Arrived San Antonio showroom to pick up, worse fears were realized. Both drivers and passenger doors on both sides were inset and not flush to the rocker panels or rear wheel trim by up to 10mm. In addition the upper portion of the side windows were proud of the center pillar, doors seemed to be twisted in at bottom and out at top. Apart from that the car appeared to be in good shape a few paint issue and scuffs but nothing I could not have lived with. So I basically said to the store manager that I would only accept delivery if and after the door alignments were fixed. Service manager was called and could not give me any assurance he could fix the issue. Basically said doors could only be adjusted front to back and not top to bottom. So I refused delivery and did not want to be reassigned until after the end of the quarter. 08549983-2BDD-40F3-B0DE-7A080F5D90F9.jpeg

r.
EBE13D85-CDCA-49E0-BD52-593A48D0DE43.jpeg
80F310AD-594C-4FF3-8BC7-26C4391DF96D.jpeg
394219F5-F3D6-40B3-9BE8-D5D092109D29.jpeg
08549983-2BDD-40F3-B0DE-7A080F5D90F9.jpeg

This issue was not isolated to my vehicle many of the other Y’s awaiting delivery on the lot exsibited the same issue to some degree, but not as bad as mine.

KUKA needs spanking i.e. someone needs to interrupt the production flow to recalibrate the robots. Not a good idea? Of course, we had to reassign QC staff to the assembly line, oh the stamping presses and robots can wait to be recalibrated once we finish the quarter production hell:(

I am afraid that as the EOQ is nearing, they are rushing the production to meet the goal and shipping out whatever from the factory now..
This is not meant to be a rhetorical question: does anyone actually know for a fact that the production rate or QC standards (such as they may be) were different in July as compared with September, or April as compared with June? I.e., is the factory going to be shipping fewer cars starting October 1?

More and more of these stores really make me wonder how Monroe thinks the build on the Y which he likes is so much better than the 3 which he doesn’t. When I first saw his Y video before all the reports really started to appears I couldn’t help but laugh over how he pining over the quality, design, and ride of the Y while slamming the 3. He lost all credibility with me after that video.

Fascinating.... So, the silent majority have to be wrong and when someone actually posts up and says their car is great, they must be mistaken? WTH? I am sorry that there are cars with significant problems out there... I said cars, not Teslas, because EVERY car has problems and all you have to do is cruise these forums to hear about them. But to think that issues shouldn't exist is unrealistic. I'm sorry that your Model 3 was put together like it is, but your not an impartial observer and therefore your bestowing credibility or not is equally suspect...

Fascinating.... So, the silent majority have to be wrong and when someone actually posts up and says their car is great, they must be mistaken? WTH? I am sorry that there are cars with significant problems out there... I said cars, not Teslas, because EVERY car has problems and all you have to do is cruise these forums to hear about them. But to think that issues shouldn't exist is unrealistic. I'm sorry that your Model 3 was put together like it is, but your not an impartial observer and therefore your bestowing credibility or not is equally suspect...
I don't think the people that post up and say their cars are great are mistaken. I do believe some individuals legitimately get a car that is error free but I also believe there are some folks who either don't know what they should be looking for, or are more forgiving with some of the issues widely reported.

I'm not suggesting every Model Y or 3 has the issues I/others are reporting. And when somebody reports their car is fantastic, I cheer because it means Tesla IS capable of assembling cars correctly. What I find disturbing is Tesla's approach to quality control. In order to deliver as many cars as possible by the EOQ, they delegate QC to the delivery and service centers. The idea being, there's no competition, owners have been waiting for their custom build, and they're happy to accept cars with assembly flaws because the driving experience is so great they'll forget about them. Why slow the assembly line down for quality control if it can be done later... or not at all? This works now because there's one factory and demand outweighs supply. I suspect they're rolling with this QC model in the hopes that new factories will take the load off Fremont before competition arrives.

The question I have is this: Is there a feedback loop between the delivery centers and the factory? In other words, if delivery centers are seeing cars with, say, misaligned rear hatches, the factory should be able to find the person that installed it that way and "reeducate" them. Heck, they've been mass producing cars now for, what, 8 years and in all model forums, new owners are still talking about taking delivery of cars with fingerprint smudges on the headliners. How does that happen? (I suspect it's happening at the delivery centers where employees are adjusting doors and tail lights and then getting into cars to fix other things.

Last edited:
Reactions: beezy and Kelr316
I don't think the people that post up and say their cars are great are mistaken. I do believe some individuals legitimately get a car that is error free but I also believe there are some folks who either don't know what they should be looking for, or are more forgiving with some of the issues widely reported.

My 2020 3 from last year was nearly perfect. But most people would be hard to find anything wrong with it. My 2020 3 from this year was even better than the one from last year. There was a small paint blemish about the size of a needle tip that could only been seen with shop lights under close inspection. They offered to repaint it but I didn't want to be without the car that long or risk it coming out bad. Additionally one of the wheel covers was installed wrong and broke one of the clips. I could have fixed it myself but they took it off an put a new one on in five min.

So far I've had good luck, as have the people I know who personally own Tesla's. That said I know their is a lot of inconsistency in production with Tesla.

Honestly I think the whole line needs to be robots that have been perfectly programmed. Also I think Tesla cuts corners when they really shouldn't.

Reactions: Ftger
With all due respect to all. That was my attitude, the silient majority must be right, it cannot happen to me. Well it did, yes I was unlucky. I did give them the opportunity to make it right, but they could not assure me they could correct the issue. I declined delivery. The guy taking delivery next to me had exactly the same configuration with exactly the same issues but had already accepted delivery before Inspecting the vehicle, hopefully they will correct his. As I said I checked many of the other Y’s on the lot and most exhibited the same issue to some extent. I think these issues are a lot more prevalent than many are prepared to admit.
I desperatly wanted to accept this vehicle and was prepared to turn a blind eye to many issues, but this was just to much. I believe that many who have not driven an electric vehicle before are so enamored with the driving experience, which is awesome, they are prepared to overlook the QC shortcomings. I have driven non Tesla electric car for over 3 years and am very familiar with the driving dynamics, instant torque, one pedal driving, low center of gravity great handling. Yes Tesla have taken it to another level, but when coming from one electric vehicle to another the difference is incremental not revolutionary. Yes Tesla have a head start, it will not last forever.
I am still a big fan and will hopefully take delivery of an example I can live with in the next couple of months. I was bitterly disappointed in this outcome.I should also point out I am in my mid seventies and have been an ardent believer in electric power for most of my life and am grateful that I can enjoy all this technology it in my senior years

Is there a feedback loop between the delivery centers and the factory?
I got an indication today that there may actually be. I was at a service center to address (among other things) what looks like a stamping defect in the tailgate. It is not noticeable at a glance, but it's definitely there and definitely a problem. The tech, who was overall very helpful, said this was the first time he'd seen this particular issue and, because of that, it may be brought up with the engineering team. That sounds to me a bit like what you're describing.

More and more of these stores really make me wonder how Monroe thinks the build on the Y which he likes is so much better than the 3 which he doesn’t. When I first saw his Y video before all the reports really started to appears I couldn’t help but laugh over how he pining over the quality, design, and ride of the Y while slamming the 3. He lost all credibility with me after that video.

His first video on the Y clearly showed good latch issues and issues with the plastic cover in the trunk. He also was very clear that he wasn't covering quality control issues.

The part that impressed him was the design itself.

How did he not find the Home Depot floor molding in the frunk?

Or was that excluded as quality control?

;)

Now you’re just trolling. The Y he disassembled on video didn’t have the wood moulding, so impossible for him to miss it. Sandy is the real deal. I personally know the person who held the camera recording him in those videos. To suggest he’s dishonest to suit a personal narrative is unfair.

That being said, I’ve had a Tesla since 2014. Agree their quality isn’t the best. Hoping the Y I pick up tomorrow is one of their better examples.

Didn’t say he was dishonest. Didn’t say he was dishonest. Am saying that Y problems seem a lot more common at launch than 3, which had issues, so more I hear the more surprised I am that he didn’t note much more issues, especially given his early build.

Bought two 3’s in last six months. Both nearly perfect. Been with Tesla since 2012 myself.

Best of luck with your delivery tomorrow.

Reactions: techMology