Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed with the D unveiling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just don't get the complaining!

Scheesh! Can you IMAGINE being "around" one these incessant whiners always crying about nuthin' or worse being married to one. Well, it's off to Safeway in my ol' dinasour PO3351 to get some more Puffs tissue while reading this thread and before the junkyard picks "her" up tomorrow since she no longer has any value and is basically as obsolete as the 1969 "nut-and-bolt" rotisserie restored Camaro she sits next to in the garage.

Scheesh! Can you IMAGINE being "around" one these incessant whiners always crying about nuthin' or worse being married to one. Well, it's off to Safeway in my ol' dinasour PO3351 to get some more Puffs tissue while reading this thread and before the junkyard picks "her" up tomorrow since she no longer has any value and is basically as obsolete as the 1969 "nut-and-bolt" rotisserie restored Camaro she sits next to in the garage.

It's not worth nothing...you can probably resell the charger and get something :biggrin:

JK

Everyone must understand that Tesla is more of a technology company that happens to build cars, and is not a traditional car company.
I wish this mantra would die. No, Tesla is a car company. They do things a bit differently (EV drivetrain, direct sales model, continuous improvement vs model year changeovers) and produce kick-ass cars, but they are still a car company.

"A two year old Model S doesn't have active safety features, but new ones do, because Tesla is constantly innovating and creating new technology for their vehicles."

Now re-read that sentence, but substitute "Outback" for "Model S" and "Subaru" for "Tesla". Guess what? Either statement is just as valid.

How, exactly, is Tesla's innovation better than Subaru's? Why is Tesla entitled to be considered a "Tech company that happens to sell cars"?

I wish this mantra would die. No, Tesla is a car company. They do things a bit differently (EV drivetrain, direct sales model, continuous improvement vs model year changeovers) and produce kick-ass cars, but they are still a car company.

"A two year old Model S doesn't have active safety features, but new ones do, because Tesla is constantly innovating and creating new technology for their vehicles."

Now re-read that sentence, but substitute "Outback" for "Model S" and "Subaru" for "Tesla". Guess what? Either statement is just as valid.

How, exactly, is Tesla's innovation better than Subaru's? Why is Tesla entitled to be considered a "Tech company that happens to sell cars"?
Because it's hard to think of anything powered by gasoline as "tech". Tech is something you plug in.

I wish this mantra would die. No, Tesla is a car company.

Actually I am starting to think Tesla is a battery company. They use cars to make and sell batteries.

Some of my other views:
Google is not a software company, it is an advertising company. They use web/software to sell ads.
Apple is not a software company, it is a hardware and music/software distribution company. They use software to sell hardware and music/software.
Microsoft is a software company. They sell software, and support software, and make xBox.

To be clear. I'm not bothered by Tesla releasing features at all. I'm sure soon enough there will be something else new that I won't have. I don't expect Tesla to be able to retrofit hardware.

I'm bothered by the way this was handled and with a car in production before this is revealed not being presented an opportunity to delay my car or eat the $2,500 cancellation cost. Even if Tesla still made the car without the features, took my $2500 deposit, and then sold the car as an inventory car (and discounted it by $2500) then they'd still be no worse than they were with me taking delivery.

The execution of the announcement and the change to the ordering/delivery process could be done better. That's all this is.

Actually I am starting to think Tesla is a battery company. They use cars to make and sell batteries.

Some of my other views:
Google is not a software company, it is an advertising company. They use web/software to sell ads.
Apple is not a software company, it is a hardware and music/software distribution company. They use software to sell hardware and music/software.
Microsoft is a software company. They sell software, and support software, and make xBox.
All good points. Although, until the GF is running and they're manufacturing their own cells, I'd be more inclined to call them a "battery distribution company"

I am staggered that people don't understand the annoyance of the owners who just missed out on these new features. People have ordered effectively identical cars, when they have gone to pick up their cars some have had the autonomous hardware and some haven't - it has been purely luck of the draw whether you received potentially thousands of dollars in hardware improvements.

Tesla aren't selling packets of chips, these are some of the biggest purchases customers will make and by not having an ongoing and transparent dialogue with customers, people will end up feeling resentful.

All good points. Although, until the GF is running and they're manufacturing their own cells, I'd be more inclined to call them a "battery distribution company"

They're a battery company. They pick cell mix, take the cells produced by a cell manufacturer, package them up into a battery and manage the batteries. Panasonic will be their cell manufacturer at the Gigafactory as well.

I am staggered that people don't understand the annoyance of the owners who just missed out on these new features. People have ordered effectively identical cars, when they have gone to pick up their cars some have had the autonomous hardware and some haven't - it has been purely luck of the draw

I understand the annoyance. But it is inevitable that some people will end up with new features they didn't pay for and the rest will end up with exactly the features they paid for.

Tesla cannot pre-announce when the new features will be incorporated into the cars because that would freeze new orders and cause huge production problems.

I am disappointed with the unveiling in that I won't be able to get the new features, as they are awesome and not retrofittable. However I am happy that I have something that a D will never have - I have extra microwave storage in my frunk! Hell Yeah! Well, at least that is how I am trying to cheer myself up anyway.... Sigh..

However I am happy that I have something that a D will never have - I have extra microwave storage in my frunk! Hell Yeah! Well, at least that is how I am trying to cheer myself up anyway.... Sigh..

Magical Thinking Mode on

Yeah, that's it - space for that extended range battery pack add-on. That's it!

Along with a full-sized spare tire space.

Magical Thinking mode off :)

Two can play at this game!

Tesla cannot pre-announce when the new features will be incorporated into the cars because that would freeze new orders and cause huge production problems.

I disagree strongly. Tesla can pre-announce new features. They just did it with the AWD feature. They just had a huge opportunity when they shut down the factory for 2 weeks and then started producing cars with these features not too terribly long after that to announce a new feature. There is a penalty for canceling your order (which is what you'd need to do if your car wasn't coming with something like this), you lose your deposit. If you don't care about a feature you're not going to cancel your order. If you do Tesla ends up making money for delivering nothing. At worst they end up with an inventory car that they can probably sell to someone that wants a car now (and doesn't care about whatever feature it's missing).

The only gotcha in all this is it means that Tesla needs to build cars roughly in the order they are ordered. That means they can't pick and choose cars to make to minimize their in-transit inventory at the end of the quarter (and thus maximize their numbers). I find it absolutely crazy to see people who ordered in June getting their orders after people who ordered in August just because the live on the East Coast and the other people live in the West Coast of the US. It does not take 2 months to move a car across the country.

I doubt any of this behavior has to do with production requirements and everything with making their numbers look better.

Some of my other views:
OMG TMC first. Someone mentioned Google, Apple, or Microsoft in a post and I can actually agree. And you did all 3 in one post!

To be clear. I'm not bothered by Tesla releasing features at all. I'm sure soon enough there will be something else new that I won't have. I don't expect Tesla to be able to retrofit hardware.

I'm bothered by the way this was handled and with a car in production before this is revealed not being presented an opportunity to delay my car or eat the $2,500 cancellation cost. Even if Tesla still made the car without the features, took my $2500 deposit, and then sold the car as an inventory car (and discounted it by $2500) then they'd still be no worse than they were with me taking delivery.

The execution of the announcement and the change to the ordering/delivery process could be done better. That's all this is.
Personal request if you're willing:
Go through the process of requesting a trade-in offer from Tesla for your current vehicle with a "reasonably equivalently" specced vehicle (other than the D of course). I'm really curious what your out-of-pocket would be.

If you're not willing, that's cool. I'll just cry in the corner. ;)

And for the record, I'm not suggesting you'll like the number -- I'm just really curious what the number would be. Your mileage is pretty low still, I presume.