Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed with the D unveiling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon mentioned that you will be able to summon the car and the car will use its perimeter sonar (and I assume GPS) to work its way towards you. Does anyone have any idea of what this would mean in a real life situation? In my mind imagining it running over flower beds and the like.

While I think this is exceedingly cool, I don't think I'll join the club waiting for this feature, or anything like it, any time soon. I think it might fall into the carrot category (like battery swap, valet mode, the list goes on). How long have folks been waiting for valet mode, and if something as seemingly straight-forward (and also announced, I think) as that is still nowhere in sight.

I will be very surprised to see autonomous cars driving around anytime soon- that is unless you'll be able to tell the car to go valet itself :) and leave a tip.

Paraphrasing what someone else said, "reality will probably get in Elon's way". Remember this is the same company that (over- [imo]) reacted on a number of battery puncture fires, then quickly and clandestinely removed lowering from the fleet overnight. I can only imagine the "surprises" in store for self driving cars and have the functionality evaporate when it does.

Last edited:
Tesla seems to be emulating Apple in this case, but Apple is not selling $100k cars. Plus Apple does it right. If you ordered an iPhone 5s slightly before the iPhone 6 announcement you'd still have gotten an iPhone 5s. The guy next to you that ordered at the same time also got an iPhone 5s. Nobody gets magically upgraded to an iPhone 6 for free. Ideally, Tesla would have announced Autopilot a month ago and put up the new ordering system. Told people with existing orders they would not get the new features. People with orders in process have a choice, let the order proceed and get the car on that schedule. Cancel the order, loose their deposit ($2,500) and place a new order. Tesla would end up with some cars as inventory cars they could sell at a $2,500 discount and not loose a dime from what they expected. People who bought those cars would feel like they got a good value. In other cases the car could be removed from production and Tesla just pockets $2,500. Everyone walks away happy, Tesla wins, etc etc..

The way this went down is a disaster for Tesla's image of a customer friendly company. It's a disaster for their effort to fight back against the dealers trying to force them into the dealer model.

Just a point of clarification, Tesla isn't emulating Apple. Apple releases new iPhones once a year at an early Fall event. iPads typically follow in October. Computer hardware gets refreshed with major upgrades once a year, and minor bumps occasionally.

A dual motor and autopilot can't be defined as minor, by any stretch.

I'm still 100% happy with my car, but I probably would have waited to pull the trigger had I know. Again, no biggie because I have an early adopter mentality, but.. As Tesla tries to break into the mainstream they're going to have to standardize a bit more on a schedule. Seemingly random major announcements only increase the anxiety someone faces when deciding whether or not to order.

Tesla is in a place where it can't win. It rolled out some of the hardware changes early to people who got them for free. Had they rolled them out a week earlier then the people griping would have been happy and a new group would be saying "I just missed." The alternative is to pre-announce. The problem there is that sales dry up and you either shut down the line or discount cars. Look at the discounts each manufacturer gives before a model year change. Tesla is doing the right thing by trying to avoid that. When Cirrus Aircraft moved from the old 6-pack round gauge setup to a glass cockpit they made the mistake of pre-announcing. Orders were cancelled and the planes being built had to be sold at a steep discount. They shifted and moved to a model where a few lucky people got extra stuff or where they made sure to finish out orders before announcing the change. This is a difficult proposition for a low volume company where a small number of vehicles means a lot of revenue. I understand the disappointment people have but I don't think anyone got screwed. They got what was promised.

I saw one post saying Tesla should build in the ability to upgrade. How? Do you think they really know what new things will be on the car in 2020? Do they know how the will do it? Are you willing to pay for unused mounting points and other hardware in the hope you will get the 3-D holographic display (or whatever) update? I'm an engineer and asking for upgradability in a car is unreasonable. Tesla already does more than any other car manufacturer and all that seems to have done is generate an even more unreasonable expectation of what people feel they are owed. Cars are changing fast and not just at Tesla. Ask GM to retrofit adaptive cruise or lane change guidance and see how far you get. Heck Hyundai upgrade iPhone integration between 2012 and 2013 and it is not retrofittable. That's on a car where there was no visible model change. It was just a change to the infotainment system.

This isn't the end of it. When Musk went to China he got an earful about spartan backseat accommodations. In many countries the Tesla owners ride int he back. I wouldn't be surprised to see a major interior upgrade within the next 14 months.

Last edited:
Many current owners are disappointed in the D offering?

I am not an owner, but am investigating the possibility of being one. It seems as many current owners or those who have already ordered and are locked in are disappointed with the new options being offered by Tesla. The issue appears not to be because there is anything wrong with the car they have, but they no longer have the latest and greatest? Everyone must understand that Tesla is more of a technology company that happens to build cars, and is not a traditional car company.

I think it's great that they are able to put into action/production new technology/options as soon as they are ready for prime time. If you look at a company like BMW, MAJOR changes only occur every 7 years during the product replacement cycle, or in 2-3 years during the refresh cycle. Would everyone really want to wait that long for new options to appear in Teslas? If one of these new options were critically important to someone, they would not have purchased the car (without them) in the first place.

I keep cars a long time, and have purchased many used models. I do not have the need nor expect to always be bleeding edge. To me model changes/updates, and not always having the latest and greatest are to be expected and accepted. I have a perfect example. My first BMW was a factory ordered 2000 328i 5-speed. I received a near the end of the 2000 model year production vehicle. If I had ordered just a few weeks later I would have received a 2001 330i instead, with nearly 20% more power, for the exact same price. Yet I was still 100.0% happy with my purchase and today my son is enjoying the car, now with 190K miles on it.

Those who get disappointed will always be disappointed and never satisfied, especially in the always evolving technological age. Its like a Roadster owner saying, "hey, I'm disappointed Tesla came out with a Model-S! If I would have known it was going to have more range, hold more people, and be such a great car I would not have bought the Roadster." Most likely the same people who're pissed at Blue Ray making their VHS obsolete and blaming technology that the VHS machine / DVD players are not worth as much as a Blue Ray.

I can see these same guys complaining that music went to digital/mp3 and they can only sell their LP / albums for only 99 cents at a garage sale.

Some people are never happy, I believe that Tesla needs to be a company that is always innovating and it is a good thing. This new D model will help the X be a better vehicle. Although I like the technology I do not always need the latest and greatest which will become obsolete next week.

not being a tesla owner, i think it comes down to many of the p85+ cars are maxed out with every option checked off.
to me, that sounds more like bragging rights than anything. i will be ording a model s next year the wife and i have had many conversations about what trim level to order. of course i started out with the p85+, but then i realized... this car would be replacing my commuter... and i already have a race car, why would i need another sport-setup haul ass machine? and now im looking at the order page saying, i have no need for a dual motor 85, "but wouldnt it be cool."

so theres my take.

I'm not the least bit disappointed. In fact, I'm excited that Tesla is moving the technology to another level yet again. I'm not one who thinks it will diminish the value of my car. In fact, I think the opposite will be the case as the brand continues to be a leader and build even stronger regard. In fact, I hope Tesla continue to do this kind of thing on a regular basis. One has to recognize that technology moves forward relentlessly and outdates products rapidly. To be blunt, I think complaints about not having the D's new features on older cars is a kind of naive sour grapes.

I am not an owner, but am investigating the possibility of being one. It seems as many current owners or those who have already ordered and are locked in are disappointed with the new options being offered by Tesla. The issue appears not to be because there is anything wrong with the car they have, but they no longer have the latest and greatest? Everyone must understand that Tesla is more of a technology company that happens to build cars, and is not a traditional car company.

I think it's great that they are able to put into action/production new technology/options as soon as they are ready for prime time. If you look at a company like BMW, MAJOR changes only occur every 7 years during the product replacement cycle, or in 2-3 years during the refresh cycle. Would everyone really want to wait that long for new options to appear in Teslas? If one of these new options were critically important to someone, they would not have purchased the car (without them) in the first place.

I keep cars a long time, and have purchased many used models. I do not have the need nor expect to always be bleeding edge. To me model changes/updates, and not always having the latest and greatest are to be expected and accepted. I have a perfect example. My first BMW was a factory ordered 2000 328i 5-speed. I received a near the end of the 2000 model year production vehicle. If I had ordered just a few weeks later I would have received a 2001 330i instead, with nearly 20% more power, for the exact same price. Yet I was still 100.0% happy with my purchase and today my son is enjoying the car, now with 190K miles on it.

20th century mindset. The same one that every other car manufacturer is stuck in. Good news, there's plenty of (obsolete) car choices.

I'm not the least bit disappointed. In fact, I'm excited that Tesla is moving the technology to another level yet again. I'm not one who thinks it will diminish the value of my car. In fact, I think the opposite will be the case as the brand continues to be a leader and build even stronger regard. In fact, I hope Tesla continue to do this kind of thing on a regular basis. One has to recognize that technology moves forward relentlessly and outdates products rapidly. To be blunt, I think complaints about not having the D's new features on older cars is a kind of naive sour grapes.
Your "aftermarket unicorn" isn't replaceable, sir. :)

I feel relieved there are others that feel the same as me. I was getting a bit concern about all the negative comments on the boards/forums, some quite strong just because Tesla offered new options. I had mentally optioned out the car I would purchase, if indeed I went ahead (the SO still needs convincing, first test drive is next week). The dual motor is a possibility for me, not because of any differences in 0-60 performance, but because of winter driving here in the NE (although both our current cars are RWD only, but we have mounted snow tires for one of them). The whole performance thing, especially in the USA is essentially a moot point. You really can't use it. Even 100 HP can get you plenty of tickets. But electric cars do shine stop light to stop light!

I'm glad they're improving. Certainly I wish my car had some of the new stuff, but that's what I signed up for. I know my car has some stuff that Signature owners would like, and that new P85D drivers will eventually wish they had something the 2015 and beyond cars have. It's (hopefully) a never-ending cycle.

My only disappointment is that the P85D can't be configured how I'd order it, not that they've added all this cool stuff to the lineup.

My only disappointment is that the P85D can't be configured how I'd order it, not that they've added all this cool stuff to the lineup.
I bet if you called Tesla and asked for a P85D without the air suspension -- and didn't ask for a price discount, they'd allow it. You might have to appeal to Jerome or Elon, but I bet you could get it.

I bet if you called Tesla and asked for a P85D without the air suspension -- and didn't ask for a price discount, they'd allow it. You might have to appeal to Jerome or Elon, but I bet you could get it.
Would certainly be worth a shot if we go that route. We've seen they're sometimes receptive to such requests. I suspect we'll end up waiting to see the X in person, though, given I have a perfectly good P85 configured the way I like.

Don't buy into anything of technology if you fear you're going to lose value in the current technology you own. Its the name of the game. Same with cell phones, same with TVs, same with anything that gets better and better over time. I don't ever put a negative feeling or statement towards a company due to it evolving and growing technology. After I get bored or the technology becomes obsolete for my needs then I upgrade. If you don't want technology to evolve fast, stick with an ICE car.

Agree completely. Tesla is the first car manufacturer to continuously roll out improvements as they develop them without regard to the antiquated " model year " tradition.

Tesla EVs will continue to progress rapidly, just like smartphone, tablets, computers, and other digital electronic technology. You can virtually be guaranteed that the Tesla you buy now will not be able to be upgraded with new hardware features the company will offer in just a year or two, just like Apple does not offer its customers the ability to transform their iPhone 5 into an iPhone 6, except...by buying a new iPhone 6.

I agree, I understand the position that Tesla is in. I'm sure there was a lot of debate about how some owners would be annoyed with the upgradeability and the consequences of it, but progress can't be stopped! One thing though is that since Tesla doesn't have model years, it's hard for people that do care about that stuff to time things correctly. If you received a car without the sensors just before the cut off (3 weeks ago), you may have waited if you had known that the 2015 model year cars were coming out in 3 weeks.

That is precisely what happened to me. We purchased two of these one was picked up on Monday one was picked up on Friday. The one picked up on Monday did not have the sensors the one picked up on Friday did.

had we known we probably would have refused delivery the one on Monday and take in the $2500 hit just to get the new sensors.

I don't think it is a good thing for Tesla to basically eliminate model years. It leaves a bad taste in people's mouth when you pick up a vehicle and something changes dramatically as far as what is on the base model car in the course of 24 hours. If these were model year changes, at least you wouldn't have that feeling because you would expect a new model year to have more technology in it.