Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointing Service Turnaround

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An appointment in a week actually seems really good turnaround for a non-critical issue. I'm wondering how long you think would be reasonable?

2 days. At least they should troubleshoot and see if they need parts. If you've had any experience with that, it usually takes a week minimum to ship from CA.

- - - Updated - - -

Were you charging your car during the rainstorm? I'm interested to know if a surge somehow hit the front sensor(s).

Also did you request a loaner Model S until they can get yours fixed?

It wasn't an electrical storm. but heavy downfall. I offered to bring the car in today or Monday but they didn't have any loaners available. I think that may be the problem. They're bringing me a loaner when they pick up the car on Thursday.

Last edited:
I get that it's not a critical problem. Up until yesterday I was amazed that CR pulled their recommendation. I couldn't imagine how anyone could have a gripe. Just to be clear, I only just started this discussion because Elon's been blasting tweets these past weeks countering CR's decision, and taking a stand on their great customer satisfaction. I now see that CR's reversal was based on fact.

I'm basing my standards on the kind of service I've gotten from Audi the past 14 years on my last 2 cars where I never had to wait more than 2 days to bring it in. And with my only previous service experience with Tesla when the car was picked up in 2 days and returned that same day. I do expect a higher tiered service from a luxury car/brand.

While I totally understand that TACC is not critical, it is a feature I paid for and use every day. I consider the "accident avoidance" aspect it fairly important. As I'm sure most of you do, I like to keep my car in pristine operating and cosmetic condition and am bummed everytime I go to use something and it's not working as it should.

Thanks to those who were sympathetic to my point. I'll never regret my Tesla purchase. A great car. Just voicing a concern with the higher customer satisfaction that I've been told to expect.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but...

After a rainstorm yesterday, I couldn't invoke TACC or AP by extension. Got a "Cruise not available." notification.

After calling tech support, the remote diagnostic was that the front radar was reporting an error and needs recalibrating. This was confirmed by my Mt. Kisco SC. Soonest they can "fit me in" and pick the car up is a week from today. And hopefully a day or two (hopefully before next weekend) it can be fixed. So I'll be driving a week without TACC or AP.

I love my car (S85D). But this seems pretty unreasonable to me. Sorta confirms the Consumer Report retraction, in spite of Elon's onslaught of positive tweets this past week.

Pretty disappointed.

I've driven a Model S without TACC or AP for over two years. Let me get my violin...

That's too long for repairs. Tesla wants to be a "mass market" vehicle manufacturer, telling your customers to wait for weeks to months for repairs is not appropriate at this point in the game. Typical United States manufacturers (GM,Ford,Dodge) you can drive your car in and have your car back in a day or so obviously depending on the repair and parts availability. There is no scheduling with true mass market manufacturers, it can be done but 85% of customers drive in when they have a problem. I want to see Tesla succeed but if M3 is truly going to be a high volume car, Service Centers need to expand immediately. Not only adding Service Centers but giving the tiny ones new locations to hand the volume of the customers, 2-5 lifts is not going to cut it.
Tesla will never have the volume of the big 3. Even at 500,000 cars per year that's only 3% of the U.S. market. I often had to wait a week for non-urgent Mercedes service too. And why spend the money "immediately" to expand service centers for a product that won't be produced in volume until 2018 at the earliest?

- - - Updated - - -

2 days. At least they should trouble shoot and see if they need parts. If you've had any experience with that, it usually take a week minimum to ship from CA.

- - - Updated - - -

I offered to bring the car in today or Monday but they didn't have any loaners available. I think that may be the problem. There bringing me a loaner when they pick up the car on Thursday.
Now the story changes. They didn't have a loaner for you earlier.

I get that it's not a critical problem. Up until yesterday I was amazed that CR pulled their recommendation. I couldn't imagine how anyone could have a gripe. Just to be clear, I only just started this discussion because Elon's been blasting tweets these past weeks countering CR's decision, and taking a stand on their great customer satisfaction. I now see that CR's reversal was based on fact.

I'm basing my standards on the kind of service I've gotten from Audi the past 14 years on my last 2 cars where I never had to wait more than 2 days to bring it in. And with my only previous service experience with Tesla when the car was picked up in 2 days and returned that same day. I do expect a higher tiered service from a luxury car/brand.

While I totally understand that TACC is not critical, it is a feature I paid for and use every day. I consider the "accident avoidance" aspect it fairly important. As I'm sure most of you do, I like to keep my car in pristine operating and cosmetic condition and am bummed everytime I go to use something and it's not working as it should.

Thanks to those who were sympathetic to my point. I'm sure I'll never regret my Tesla purchase. Just voicing a concern with the higher customer satisfaction that I've been told to expect.

We just sold our 2013 Audi Q7, largely in part due to the horsesh*t service from Audi. Minor/medium warranty related issues took weeks to get scheduled (and there were multiple out of the gates) and they always over promised and under delivered. Meaning they said it would take 24 hours to fix the rear AC that ONLY blew heat but after zero follow up and me calling 30 times and a week later did I finally get the car back. And this happened every time. Tesla has been spot on in comparison.

Cruise control is not a "high priority" issue, sorry to say. I feel your pain, but you can live without it and up until a year ago, TACC wasn't even an option to complain about. Our Tesla service center is super busy too, but that's only because there is clearly demand for these cars and they are doing their best to keep up. Situations will vary for sure, but it doesn't seem like your situation is much to complain about. That said, I suspect that some of these minor inconveniences will be ironed out as they expand the number and size of the service centers!

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but...

After a rainstorm yesterday, I couldn't invoke TACC or AP by extension. Got a "Cruise not available." notification.

After calling tech support, the remote diagnostic was that the front radar was reporting an error and needs recalibrating. This was confirmed by my Mt. Kisco SC. Soonest they can "fit me in" and pick the car up is a week from today. And hopefully a day or two (hopefully before next weekend) it can be fixed. So I'll be driving a week without TACC or AP.

I love my car (S85D). But this seems pretty unreasonable to me. Sorta confirms the Consumer Report retraction, in spite of Elon's onslaught of positive tweets this past week.

Pretty disappointed.

I have this error often. I brought it in and they recalibrated. It keeps happening ... but only in one particular spot on a local bridge. Very strange.

Sorry for not reading all the replies.

Don't forget that you have bought a totally new car with tech that nobody else has from a new company that is growing at an exponential rate. Have some patience and your issues will all be solved. The service that I have had has been truly outstanding. The best I have ever had. But I do understand your frustration.

Service is certainly far better than any european car I have had experience with. My mom's CLS55AMG had a gas tank leak with constant gas fumes from the car (apparently this was a recall issue that they never contacted her about). Took 2 MONTHS to get the gas tank from Germany!

Tesla will never have the volume of the big 3. Even at 500,000 cars per year that's only 3% of the U.S. market. I often had to wait a week for non-urgent Mercedes service too. And why spend the money "immediately" to expand service centers for a product that won't be produced in volume until 2018 at the earliest?

- - - Updated - - -

Now the story changes. They didn't have a loaner for you earlier.

The story continues...

They showed up this morning, without a courtesy car and told me they never said there would be one. Not what I understood.

. Soonest they can "fit me in" and pick the car up is a week from today. And hopefully a day or two (hopefully before next weekend) it can be fixed.
You do realize that this is the amount I'm used to waiting to get an appointment in my area for gasoline cars, for anything short of a "can't drive the car legally" failure? You lucky, lucky person to have gotten such quick service in the past.

There are occasional complaints in this forum about 3-month-long waits to get replacements for defective driveunits, and *those* are serious issues with the service. Waiting one week is not outrageous. Waiting a month or more, which has happened to people here, is.

Tesla does need a LOT more Service Centers, I've said this before.

The double-talk about loaners, telling you you'd have a loaner and then showing up without one and claiming they'd never told you they'd have one -- that's unacceptable. Since I'm a one-car family now, I'd have sent them straight back if that had happened -- when my car's in the shop overnight, a loaner is a necessity.