Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discriminated and Kicked out of Ford dealer for using Level 2 charger.Owner responds on Google.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You said it yourself. He was the OWNER and he doesn't have to obey what one of his employees said to you. It's HIS charger and if he doesn't want you to charge you don't charge. It's as simple as that. You're making this something it's not and giving Tesla owners everywhere a bad name as a result.

Should he have been more polite? Maybe. Seems like it would have been "better for business" but neither he nor us knows if you're buying a truck so did he really run off a customer? Nobody knows. I also bet he doesn't care either or he would have been more professional. I also seriously doubt you were humble and polite because I don't see this story unfolding the way you've laid it out for us. This is but one side of the story and we all know how the saying goes.

Just because a salesperson says you can have a F350 for free doesn't mean the owner has to be alright with that arrangement and anyone who ranks above the salesperson has absolute authority to veto any agreement you've made.

You said it yourself, you didn't NEED to charge. So don't. Move on. Thank him for the few pennies of juice you already got and be on your way.

The problem now is that for the rest of us if anybody actually NEEDS the juice to get somewhere that's one place we as Tesla owners can no longer go for help. Thanks. /sarcasm
I guess the days of a customer is always right are gone. lol

If he wants to make rules his own rules its fine. Send the email below to all his staff and stop harassing me and put up a sign

[email protected] Subject: Do not let Tesla cars charge here

Body: Do not let Tesla cars charge hereDo not let Tesla cars charge hereDo not let Tesla cars charge hereDo not let Tesla cars charge hereDo not let Tesla cars charge hereDo not let Tesla cars charge hereDo not let Tesla cars charge hereDo not let Tesla cars charge hereDo not let Tesla cars charge here

Signed Owner

Last edited:

If he wants to make rules his own rules its fine. Send the email below to all his staff and stop harassing me and put up a sign

Body: Do not let Tesla cars charge hereDo not let Tesla cars charge hereDo not let Tesla cars charge hereDo not let Tesla cars charge hereDo not let Tesla cars charge hereDo not let Tesla cars charge hereDo not let Tesla cars charge hereDo not let Tesla cars charge hereDo not let Tesla cars charge here

Signed Owner

You're being ridiculous. You may be a great human in person (I seriously doubt it or this situation never would have unfolded the way it did) but you're coming off as a petulant spoiled child who didn't get his way and is now throwing a temper tantrum on this forum. Is that what you're going for here?

I've already said it but I'll try again since you seem to keep bringing up that it was "discrimination" against you because you own a Tesla and all of us Tesla owners should band around you in support: It doesn't matter if you were in a Leaf, a Tesla or even a Ford EV... if the owner wants you to leave... you leave. If the owner wants you to not use anything he owns on his property you stop. He doesn't HAVE to have a reason. If you don't leave, you're trespassing in his property. The cops come and you get a ticket. It's a simple concept. This isn't opinion it's law.

Stop turning this into something it isn't. Stop trying to get Tesla owners riled up to support your "cause for justice" or whatever the hell it is you think you're doing. Your entitled attitude is giving ALL Tesla owners a bad name.

This is the same BS a few outliers are doing on the other side against Teslas and it's creating this "Us v Tesla owners" rift that's childish and idiotic. It's not helping our cause it's hurting.

Does everything in this country have to be a rabid battle of one group versus another? Can't I just enjoy driving a car that I own and not be judged for it or judge everyone else for choosing a different car?

There are outliers in every group who's actions reflect poorly on everyone in the group and, based on what you've said here, you seem to be the negative outlier in the Tesla community.

Grow up.

Signed Owner
"The customer is always right" is bad policy.
Top 5 Reasons Why 'The Customer Is Always Right' Is Wrong | HuffPost

5 Reasons Why the Customer is Not Always Right

I worked in a computer store, when one person called and started abusing one of our sales people saying she was ignorant. She had taken computer science in college. She hung up on him, told us, and when he called back another sales guy took the phone, told him "We don't need your business" and hung up on him.

Reactions: brianman
You're being ridiculous. You may be a great human in person (I seriously doubt it or this situation never would have unfolded the way it did) but you're coming off as a petulant spoiled child who didn't get his way and is now throwing a temper tantrum on this forum. Is that what you're going for here?

I've already said it but I'll try again since you seem to keep bringing up that it was "discrimination" against you because you own a Tesla and all of us Tesla owners should band around you in support: It doesn't matter if you were in a Leaf, a Tesla or even a Ford EV... if the owner wants you to leave... you leave. If the owner wants you to not use anything he owns on his property you stop. He doesn't HAVE to have a reason. If you don't leave, you're trespassing in his property. The cops come and you get a ticket. It's a simple concept. This isn't opinion it's law.

Stop turning this into something it isn't. Stop trying to get Tesla owners riled up to support your "cause for justice" or whatever the hell it is you think you're doing. Your entitled attitude is giving ALL Tesla owners a bad name.

This is the same BS a few outliers are doing on the other side against Teslas and it's creating this "Us v Tesla owners" rift that's childish and idiotic. It's not helping our cause it's hurting.

Does everything in this country have to be a rabid battle of one group versus another? Can't I just enjoy driving a car that I own and not be judged for it or judge everyone else for choosing a different car?

There are outliers in every group who's actions reflect poorly on everyone in the group and, based on what you've said here, you seem to be the negative outlier in the Tesla community.

Grow up.
You kinda went on your own tantrum there. I’m not asking or suggested for Tesla owners to band together. I said before i’m not looking for sympathy.

I actually like many Ford trucks and mustangs. Which is why was shopping for a new truck. I also don’t own any Tesla stock or ford stock. I hope Ford does well with their new partnership with Rivian.

This is just to open the discussion since so many people have a different opinion on the matter.

The info on PlugShare shows thousands of people checking in and charging at dealer level 2 chargers with all kinds of cars.

It would be nice if these dealers came to a mutual understanding and agreement on a policy. I don’t mind paying to charge. But right now it’s seems some cars are ok to charge and Tesla cars are getting the boot in a few instances.

Is it wrong to create this thread looking for answers if a policy does exist?

giphy.gif

Grow up.

Wow, that's a little OTT right there. You might not agree with what happened, but your pedantic nitpicking of words throughout this thread and personal insults don't jive with the forum's values.

I actually agree with your underlying point about us all being lumped together as entitled, driving expensive clean cars and looking down on folks... I hate that, and people don't help. But making a value judgement about people here isn't OK - it actually sounds like you're annoyed about something that has nothing to do with Tesla or this situation, but a characteristic of the situation or person.

Great quote - can we live up to it?

"The customer is always right" is bad policy.
Top 5 Reasons Why 'The Customer Is Always Right' Is Wrong | HuffPost

5 Reasons Why the Customer is Not Always Right

I worked in a computer store, when one person called and started abusing one of our sales people saying she was ignorant. She had taken computer science in college. She hung up on him, told us, and when he called back another sales guy took the phone, told him "We don't need your business" and hung up on him.

I wasn’t being serious. But at least talk to the customer and give them the benefit of the doubt if possible and be nice.

You kinda went on your own tantrum there. I’m not asking or suggested for Tesla owners to band together. I said before i’m not looking for sympathy.

I actually like many Ford trucks and mustangs. Which is why was shopping for a new truck. I also don’t own any Tesla stock or ford stock. I hope Ford does well with their new partnership with Rivian.

This is just to open the discussion since so many people have a different opinion on the matter.

The info on PlugShare shows thousands of people checking in and charging at dealer level 2 chargers with all kinds of cars.

It would be nice if these dealers came to a mutual understanding and agreement on a policy. I don’t mind paying to charge. But right now it’s seems some cars are ok to charge and Tesla cars are getting the boot in a few instances.

Is it wrong to create this thread looking for answers if a policy does exist?
You continue missing they point... he's not a "Ford Dealer" he's a human being that happens to own a Ford Dealership. He's a person who decided to install a charger and his reasons for installing it are non of your concern. If he chooses to let you use it he's doing you a favor you should appreciate since he owes you nothing. Your posts make it seem like you were deprived of something you were due for some reason and you're not due anything.

There's a disconnect these days with people who see large corporations as the enemy and we should be able to control them. He's a guy who owns a Ford dealership and it could have been a GM dealership or even a used car lot. He CHOSE to put in a charger and we have no idea what the motivation was. It's still HIS charger. There shouldn't be a mandate that controls all dealerships because then the simple choice is simply not installing them. It's not there for your convenience regardless of what PlugShare tells you. It's his. He doesn't own PlugShare nor does he have any input with what they say. It doesn't matter if you like Ford or not, he says to unplug and leave so guess what... you do that. It's not "the man" discriminating against you it's a guy who owns a charger telling you to leave.

If you saw a charger on a house and the kid said you could plug in and the parent comes along and tells you it's not alright would you be crying about discrimination and how unfair it was? Of course you wouldn't because it would be ridiculous. You do realize that those two scenarios are very much the same, right?

Wow, that's a little OTT right there. You might not agree with what happened, but your pedantic nitpicking of words throughout this thread and personal insults don't jive with the forum's values.

I actually agree with your underlying point about us all being lumped together as entitled, driving expensive clean cars and looking down on folks... I hate that, and people don't help. But making a value judgement about people here isn't OK - it actually sounds like you're annoyed about something that has nothing to do with Tesla or this situation, but a characteristic of the situation or person.

Great quote - can we live up to it?
The forum doesn't support me asking a member of the Tesla community to be reasonable in their dealings with people & not act like a spoiled child when faced with what they deem adversity as to not give us all a bad name? I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. If I presented the same logical sentiment more sugar coated and PC we'd be fine with the message?

I only pointed out the word "owner" because it's an important distinction in his own post that he seems to have missed. What the owner said trumps whatever agreement he and the salesperson had. I also questioned his use of the word "discrimination" as it has a very powerful meaning and undertone that groups who have literally had to fight for their rights in this country would take umbrage to the use of because you're experiencing #firstworldproblems. This sort of hyperbole does a tremendous disservice to those who have actually been discriminated against. Tesla owner is not a protected class

Those are the only two words I pointed out specifically in my posts because they're meaning is important and the OP seems to be missing at least a portion of this. After all, it's the OP's words I'm using to form an opinion here.

Only one side of the story here. But you were charging somewhere u didn't need using someone else's electricity. This is a privilege not a right and if the owner wanted you to leave you should have.

Sounds like you guys didn't get along and I'm guessing you were both dicks about it based on what you describe, but still, you had no 'right' to charge there. He can decide whatever he wants. It's his property, his charger, and his electricity bill.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
It is beneath any business to disallow non-customers to charge if the charger is otherwise unused. The cost of electricity is so low that it is a complete non-issue. The good will it generates is far more valuable. I just don't understand this other then real Tesla hate.

I have had a couple of dealers refuse to allow me to charge my Model S (I always ask) and happily allow me to charge my Leaf.
Seriously? By your logic you should be able to walk into any dealership and ask them if they'll hand you over $0.50 and they'll gladly do it.

There is not good that can be generated from having a Tesla charging up in front of the showroom of your Ford dealership. That's like walking into the Coca Cola headquarters in Atlanta, GA with a Pepsi in your hand.

Only one side of the story here. But you were charging somewhere u didn't need using someone else's electricity. This is a privilege not a right and if the owner wanted you to leave you should have.

Sounds like you guys didn't get along and I'm guessing you were both dicks about it based on what you describe, but still, you had no 'right' to charge there. He can decide whatever he wants. It's his property, his charger, and his electricity bill.
This very eloquently and succinctly conveys the point I was trying to make. Thanks for posting.

The forum doesn't support me asking a member of the Tesla community to be reasonable in their dealings with people & not act like a spoiled child when faced with what they deem adversity as to not give us all a bad name? I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. If I presented the same logical sentiment more sugar coated and PC we'd be fine with the message?

I only pointed out the word "owner" because it's an important distinction in his own post that he seems to have missed. What the owner said trumps whatever agreement he and the salesperson had. I also questioned his use of the word "discrimination" as it has a very powerful meaning and undertone that groups who have literally had to fight for their rights in this country would take umbrage to the use of because you're experiencing #firstworldproblems. This sort of hyperbole does a tremendous disservice to those who have actually been discriminated against. Tesla owner is not a protected class

Those are the only two words I pointed out specifically in my posts because they're meaning is important and the OP seems to be missing at least a portion of this. After all, it's the OP's words I'm using to form an opinion here.

“What the owners says Trumps everything”

Interesting word choice. Could reveal your true troll identity if this is politically motivation.

I never once said I was entitled to anything. And left immediately after the owner ripped out the charging cord. But you continue to make up stuff and personally attack me for being a spoiled Tesla owner.

I understand your point that ford dealers are like kingdoms. Me being a foolish peasant asked the joker/salesperson for permission for electricity when I should have gone to the throne room and ask king of winterford to kiss the ring of the king.

Only for him to say “You shall not Charge Here arhgggggggg spoiled Tesla boy only Nissan Leaf.”

I came to the World Wide Web for information like some publication about the policy and procedures for different dealers about charging. I would happily pay to charge instead of having someone come up to my car like some window washer asking for lose change.

Instead of getting help finding a publication like this I keep getting troll attacks about some unspoken rule.

When policy and procedures don’t exist mistakes and accidents happen due to confusion.

If you don’t have a publication on the subject stop making up stupid logic like people are stealing electricity from peoples homes.

A few point from my perspective:

1. I would have only used that charger if it were an emergency. Since it's installed at a Ford dealership, I would have simply assumed it was for the convenience of Ford PEV owners (as few as they may be).
2. If the owner acted as you describe, then he's a dick. Though well within his rights to be one on his own property.
3. I think notifying potential non-Ford PEV owners of his hostility, when the station is listed as "free to use," is perfectly reasonable.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
“What the owners says Trumps everything”

Interesting word choice. Could reveal your true troll identity if this is politically motivation.

I never once said I was entitled to anything. And left immediately after the owner ripped out the charging cord. But you continue to make up stuff and personally attack me for being a spoiled Tesla owner.

I understand your point that ford dealers are like kingdoms. Me being a foolish peasant asked the joker/salesperson for permission for electricity when I should have gone to the throne room and ask king of winterford to kiss the ring of the king.

Only for him to say “You shall not Charge Here arhgggggggg spoiled Tesla boy only Nissan Leaf.”

I came to the World Wide Web for information like some publication about the policy and procedures for different dealers about charging. I would happily pay to charge instead of having someone come up to my car like some window washer asking for lose change.

Instead of getting help finding a publication like this I keep getting troll attacks about some unspoken rule.

When policy and procedures don’t exist mistakes and accidents happen due to confusion.

If you don’t have a publication on the subject stop making up stupid logic like people are stealing electricity from peoples homes.
Political motivation? You really are just looking for a pot to stir up, aren't you?

Reactions: HankLloydRight
A few point from my perspective:

1. I would have only used that charger if it were an emergency. Since it's installed at a Ford dealership, I would have simply assumed it was for the convenience of Ford PEV owners (as few as they may be).
2. If the owner acted as you describe, then he's a dick. Though well within his rights to be one on his own property.
3. I think notifying potential non-Ford PEV owners of his hostility, when the station is listed as "free to use," is perfectly reasonable.

I 100% agree. I’m a check verify kind of person and didn’t see the harm stopping for 30mins as other leaf owners had to see if this could serve me in a emergency situation while visiting family in a rural part of Florida.

And I’m glad this encounter happened when I was alone and not have family with me. I just wanted to bring to light the issue that if one day you get stuck in a two hour traffic jam on the highway and have to decide detouring through a small town. Are they going to be friendly to you and your kids if you ask to charge.

Or should you drop off the kids first at some restaurant because you might get the “we don’t like you Tesla boys around these parts”

FWIW, owner is perfectly in his right ask anyone to leave, though no reason to be a jerk about it when no signs are posted (assuming no other foul play by Tesla owner).

I will add to this comedic discourse with a tangentially related image. Ford dealerships can be quiet the hostile businesses, look at this one in South Oklahoma City for example.

upload_2019-6-5_13-27-10.png

Bob Moore Ford has a giant billboard on the adjacent property that says "Seth Wadley Ford; Ford Trucks cost less in Pauls Valley". The dealership proudly displays all of their large pickups on the front of the lot. This sign has been up for 6+ months. I find the strategic advertising location humorous.