Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion for Model S owners considering moving into a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my AP1 S85 for 3 largely trouble-free years, and it's paid off. It's fully loaded and only has 27,000 miles on it. I'm expecting my M3 configuration email soon. I'm conflicted about whether I want to give up my beautiful MS, custom ordered by me and picked up at the factory, for a smaller, cheaper car. I'm interested in others thoughts that are in the same situation. My primary motivation is to get into a cheaper car that has a lower cost per mile than my Model S, but still have the Tesla driving experience. Here's my pro-con list. Not all are related to cost but lower cost is my prime directive.

PROs:
- new warranty. My comprehensive warranty runs out in a year, M3 will have new 4 year warranty
- About $10k in my pocket due to price difference between my used MS and new M3
-some welcome interior improvements in M3--cupholders, door storage, rear armrest
-shiny new toy. Excitement of having the latest tesla
-could be slightly faster than my S85? not sure
-smaller car, MS is a little bigger car than what I need
-cheaper insurance, still not competitive with ICE cars but by my research here in California Geico will charge about 25% less than MS
-cheaper to register every year, about 50% cheaper
-?lower depreciation due to lower purchase price, but not sure about this since the MS has already made it through the steepest part of the depreciation curve and M3 would just be starting it

CONS
-loss of free charging for life , a BIG one.
-all the new bugs and issues of a brand new car, a BIG one. I avoided that in my S85 by waiting until serial #s in the 60,000 range
-moving from AP1 on mine to AP2 which IMO is still inferior - a BIG one
- less attractive design IMO especially from the back
-loss of hatchback practicality
-smaller battery, although Tesla claims better range, but I always view Tesla claims with healthy skepticism
-slower charge time I believe than S85
-less luxury/less special than the MS. no leather, no alcantara, one screen vs 2
-more cramped interior/less cargo capacity when I need it
-parts unobtainable in case of accident. Unfortunately MS largely has the same problem, M3 could be worse initially.

Any thoughts from those making the change to a Model 3?

Last edited:
The M3 will have better range versus battery size simply bcause it is a smaller vehicle. The range of the original Roadster was impressive despite the smallish 53 kWh battery - it was a small car and had much lower Wh/mile than MS. So I believe Tesla's range numbers for the M3.

Tesla is quoting slower 0-60 numbers for M3. I would believe them on that.

I was originally going to switch to an M3 when it came out, after waiting at least 100,000 units so the early adopter glitches would be worked out. (My original MS was VIN 2006...)

So instead I traded my MS on a new one. With that I got AWD, AP, tons of little improvements, and reliability.

I am in a similar boat , love my MS that's practically the same specs as yours. I would add one PRO: MS has aluminum body, which in my view will hold up better. CON: M3 will eventually be self-driving--in fact this is the primary reason to switch to a newer Tesla for me.

I am in a similar boat , love my MS that's practically the same specs as yours. I would add one PRO: MS has aluminum body, which in my view will hold up better. CON: M3 will eventually be self-driving--in fact this is the primary reason to switch to a newer Tesla for me.
Very true but an all aluminum body makes it much more difficult to repair, takes longer, and causes higher insurance rates. So there's pros and cons when it comes to my goal of lowering cost per mile of ownership.

Reactions: Zythryn
I think you’ve pretty accurately presented the pros and cons of the decision.

CONS

As for this one, I think this is a far bigger deal psychologically than by any objective measure. Take your current car and its mileage of 27k over 3 years. Let’s generously assume that 40% of those miles are supercharging. At current rates, that’s ~$720 over 3 years. A drop in the bucket.

I recently went through the same Pro/Cons, but in the opposite direction. I'm a day 1 in-store reservation holder, and in the end, just purchased a Model S CPO (2014 w/ AP1). I have mostly the same pros/cons listed that you do. In the end, I really like the styling and size of the older Model S better. On top of that, the S has already taken it's major depreciation hit. Lastly, if production numbers play out the way they are forecasted, there will be a lot more 3 on the road compared to S (and I'd like the 'rarer' car). Tough choice. If you get your model 3 in soon, Dec delivery will also guarantee full tax credit, which is surely bides well w/ the model 3 in your decision making.

Reactions: BinaryField
I now have a P85D which I have loved for the three years I have had it. It is the best car I have ever had, a list of >50 in every price and feature combination, I think.

I will switch to an M3 AWD or P version as soon as it is released. I ordered on the first day before reveal.

What I hope for is the car I now have with longer range in a smaller package. My only issue with the S is that it is too big. That is my sole reason for switching. Hopefully I'll not need to give up much in the process, but I am doing it anyway. If it is the P version I expect to see little change, if any, for a $100,000 bill, just as it is for a loaded BMW M3.

Thanks for putting this list together. Though already mentioned, reiterating that potential for FSD definitely should make the Pro's list and loss of supercharging is not a big con especially if the MS is your daily driver and you have to deal with a commute in the foreseeable future

I am debating between an AWD/P Model 3 vs upgrading my 2013 to an AP1 car. Our other MS has TACC, and it is really nice.

I have decided that I am going to wait until I can test drive a 3 before deciding. I figure by the time the AWD cars are being released, test drives might be possible. I have discovered through various loaners that I do not like Tesla’s newest seats in the MS, so testing a 3 will be critical to me for seat comfort, etc.

I am debating between an AWD/P Model 3 vs upgrading my 2013 to an AP1 car. Our other MS has TACC, and it is really nice.

I have decided that I am going to wait until I can test drive a 3 before deciding. I figure by the time the AWD cars are being released, test drives might be possible. I have discovered through various loaners that I do not like Tesla’s newest seats in the MS, so testing a 3 will be critical to me for seat comfort, etc.

Funny you should mention seats. I've always liked my classic style seats and disliked the newest style ones. I recently spent a month in a new 100D and after a period of adjustment, I now like the new ones better. The bolstering bothered me at first, but then I began to like the support after a few days. lol

Keeping my 90D with free lifetime charging for road trips and getting the M3 to replace my 2011 LEAF. The increased utility and range of the M3 will then be the daily driver. The LEAF has only ever been good as a local errand car. My Original 2013 85S was replaced at 80K miles to get the added functionality of EAP and the potential for FSD. The 90D has had no service issues after 11 months compared to my very early vin 13...K Model S which had numerous minor issues all of which were promptly fixed.

I was going to suggest that you keep the MS for another year to two years and then take a leap to a much more refined M3 but, one concern could be that your MS may not fetch enough to cover the 3 at that time.
That may be what I end up doing, wait until the comprehensive warranty is up in a year and by that time the M3 build quality will be good. I'm less worried about my current MS covering the cost of a M3, I can cover any cost difference without an issue.

I suspect missing out on the federal tax credit will be tempered by a rise in residual value of used Teslas given new ones will be $7500 more expensive.

Last edited:
Having been in a Model 3, a few thoughts on your pro/con list:
- new warranty. My comprehensive warranty runs out in a year, M3 will have new 4 year warranty
True. Though your Model S has an 8 year/unlimited mile battery and drivetrain warranty, whereas the Model 3 LR only has an 8 year/120k mile battery warranty. As far as anyone knows at this point, it appears that the Model 3 drive unit is only covered as part of the 4 year/50k mile new vehicle warranty. This may not be a factor in your case, but the difference will matter to some.
-could be slightly faster than my S85? not sure
Tesla lists the Model 3 LR as having a 0-60 of 5.1 seconds and Motortrend claims 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. Tesla claims 0-60 in 5.4 seconds in the old S85, with Motortrend claiming 5.0 seconds.
If you've only put 27k miles on your S in three years, then I'm not sure why you would see the loss of free Supercharging as a big deal assuming that the majority of your charging was done at home. It would be pretty easy to calculate the cost difference since Tesla has already published the rates for Supercharging.
-smaller battery, although Tesla claims better range, but I always view Tesla claims with healthy skepticism
The Model 3 LR has a lower drag coefficient, smaller frontal area, smaller tires, and weighs about 830lb. less than your car. I think your skepticism on this particular point is unwarranted. Also, according to wk057, the S85 only had about 81.5kWh physical/77.5kWh usable... so the difference in usable battery capacity may be fairly small.
-less luxury/less special than the MS. no leather, no alcantara, one screen vs 2
The Model 3 is using the same synthetic seating materials that the current Model S and Model X are using (Tesla doesn't do leather seating any more... granted, their leather was kinda crap anyway from a durability standpoint) and the premium upgrades package (a forced option on all first production cars) includes an alcantara headliner and door inserts. My initial impression of the single screen interface was that it's not necessarily better or worse than the 2 screen setup in the S, just different--the system is way more responsive than what's in the S/X, though.

All that said, I'm not replacing my Model S, just adding a Model 3 to the stable.

What I hope for is the car I now have with longer range in a smaller package. My only issue with the S is that it is too big. That is my sole reason for switching.

I feel the same way. Disappointed that the M3 is barely a foot shorter than the MS. It's narrower by about 4 inches...which does make it better for maneuverability and avoiding door dings. Bottom line: still to big for what I'd like. The new Roadster is ~perfect :cool::D...except maybe for price and availability :eek:.

Unless I can talk my wife into replacing her beloved ICE car or interest one of my clan, I'll likely pass on my 1st day M3 deposit. :(

No opening sunroof option on the Model 3 correct? I love the expansive opening sunroof on my S. Don't expect me to pony up $60K for a car with no sunroof.

I read over on the other Tesla forum members arguing that no one needs an opening sunroof and the moon roof is futuristic. Some might call it courage ;)