Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case anyone is interested, looks like the HW4 model Ys are prewired for radar. Here is a picture of the connector.

Attachments

• IMG_1699.jpeg
    IMG_1699.jpeg
    415.2 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_1703.jpeg
    IMG_1703.jpeg
    395 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1700.jpeg
    IMG_1700.jpeg
    461.2 KB · Views: 154
Now that we can transfer a previous FSD purchase from previous car, I'm even more interested in trading my M3 2019 for a new MY. But the terms of the FSD transfer are super stringent, including language, apparently, that if I refuse delivery, my current FSD purchase on my M3 will evaporate never to be heard from again. So if I show up to pick up my new MY and it is not HW4, I either refuse it, and lose the FSD I bought in 2019 (forever--they will not put it back on the old M3) or I accept an old HW version of the MY. That's a tough risk to take.

Are we *guaranteed* at this point to be getting HW4 on a new MY purchased today? The stakes are high!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ratanpara
Now that we can transfer a previous FSD purchase from previous car, I'm even more interested in trading my M3 2019 for a new MY. But the terms of the FSD transfer are super stringent, including language, apparently, that if I refuse delivery, my current FSD purchase on my M3 will evaporate never to be heard from again. So if I show up to pick up my new MY and it is not HW3, I either refuse it, and lose the FSD I bought in 2019 (forever--they will not put it back on the old M3) or I accept an old HW version of the MY. That's a tough risk to take.

Are we *guaranteed* at this point to be getting HW4 on a new MY purchased today? The stakes are high!
You actually want HW3? All new ones come with HW4 now. If you want HW3, go to a Tesla showroom and sit with an advisor to look at current inventory. The HW3 ones are on a pretty steep discount now. They aren’t even showing in the online inventory. At least that was the case on Friday when an advisor and I checked. We went into the details of the cars to see. Texas had a few HW3 Y’s that were something like $4k off. None were on Tesla.com though.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
You actually want HW3? All new ones come with HW4 now. If you want HW3, go to a Tesla showroom and sit with an advisor to look at current inventory. The HW3 ones are on a pretty steep discount now. They aren’t even showing in the online inventory. At least that was the case on Friday when an advisor and I checked. We went into the details of the cars to see. Texas had a few HW3 Y’s that were something like $4k off. None were on Tesla.com though.
Sorry, typo there. No I want HW4! I have an old 2019 M3 and If I'm going to replace it, I absolutely, 100%, only want to trade if I can get HW4.

Reactions: Ratanpara
Sorry, typo there. No I want HW4! I have an old 2019 M3 and If I'm going to replace it, I absolutely, 100%, only want to trade if I can get HW4.
Yes, if you are in US, you will get either Fremont or Austin Built MY depends on spec. Both facilites have fully transited to Hw4 MY. I heard some people bought existing inventory and got HW4. You could check as long as the Vin is after PF799 or PA140.

If you have a model 3 then why don’t you wait a year or so and get the model Y updated (juniper). I know the general consensus is that the current model is the best model as far as Tesla is concerned, but if I were you I would wait. As 2019 model is not that old of a car.
Besides the fact that HW4 is increment to hw3 doesn’t necessarily make it miles better than its predecessor.