Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, the recent price plunge is hard to stomach, but I will agree that I agree to pay for that price. But what I wished was a more quiet and comfortable cabin. Recently test drove a new Model Y with comfort suspension and feels much nicer, something I would pay for last year's insane price, and the cargo cover seems to reduce noise as well. May Tesla please offer free service upgrades to those? That make me much more comfortable with my purchase as I feel ride is too stiff on mines. Probably not going to happen, but worth to see if it start a movement.

I hear ya. They should ship some freebie or SC miles etc to "recent" purchases. Not just for good CS, but would help fence sitters like me take the plunge rather than waiting for price drops.

That being said I think this is the last of price drops till end Q2 or even Q3, depending on refresh avail.

Reactions: cc333
No, they wont, nor should they. I cant understand why people think they are somehow entitled to "the lowest price ever paid, at all times: for a car.
Again, I disclosed I agreed to pay $65K for the car even though it's been hard to stomach and it's declining faster than I pay down my loan, but for $65K, I expected a much more comfortable ride and quieter cabin, both which Tesla fixed since my version with comfort suspension and cargo cover reducing noise from the back and they're available for much lower price, but again NOT asking for a refund here, simply asking Tesla to do the upgrade those for free which will make me feel much more comfortable with my purchase as this aligns more like a $65K car.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
I hear ya. They should ship some freebie or SC miles etc to "recent" purchases. Not just for good CS, but would help fence sitters like me take the plunge rather than waiting for price drops.

That being said I think this is the last of price drops till end Q2 or even Q3, depending on refresh avail.
Agreed, not like it will deter me to go into another manufacturer something @jjrandorin may say, if you don't like it, don't buy it or go to another manufacturer. Once you get use to the Tesla ecosystem, UI, Supercharger, etc. it's hard to get out, but would be a much happier relationship if they remain committed and loyal to their customers. Rn it feels like I'm getting punched in the back on both ends, from price dropping faster than I repay my loans to literally breaking my back on every pothole my car touches. I'm not that entitled to get a new car which is why I'm asking for a mutual middle ground here.

Agreed, not like it will deter me to go into another manufacturer something @jjrandorin may say, if you don't like it, don't buy it or go to another manufacturer. Once you get use to the Tesla ecosystem, UI, Supercharger, etc. it's hard to get out, but would be a much happier relationship if they remain committed and loyal to their customers. Rn it feels like I'm getting punched in the back on both ends, from price dropping faster than I repay my loans to literally breaking my back on every pothole my car touches. I'm not that entitled to get a new car which is why I'm asking for a mutual middle ground here.

First, dont put words in my mouth, please. I did not say that. I said:

No, they wont, nor should they. I cant understand why people think they are somehow entitled to "the lowest price ever paid, at all times: for a car.

Which, no matter how you try to spin it, is what you are saying. Your post, in its entirety is "I paid more for the car than other people are paying now, so I feel I should get something from Tesla for free because other people are paying less than I paid".

Your "middle ground" is "give me a free comfort suspension", for the simple reason that you are upset someone now is paying less than you paid, and I cant figure out why people think this should be a thing.

First, dont put words in my mouth, please. I did not say that. I said:

Which, no matter how you try to spin it, is what you are saying. Your post, in its entirety is "I paid more for the car than other people are paying now, so I feel I should get something from Tesla for free because other people are paying less than I paid".

Your "middle ground" is "give me a free comfort suspension", for the simple reason that you are upset someone now is paying less than you paid, and I cant figure out why people think this should be a thing.
Not putting words in your mouth is the same thing as you trying to put words or "spin my idea"

1. I'm not upset people are paying less than me, in fact I welcome it. So putting words / ideas into each other seems to be our mutual ground.
2. What I am trying to say is, the ride quality is too stiff, not what I expect for $65K, but now it's way less than that which is much more reasonable imo and that they also fixed the stiff ride. I am saying I want to upgrade to the suspension without the need to replace an entire new car which I am still financing, repaid less than the price drop. Middle ground is ideally fix / upgrade the suspension, NOT ASKING FOR A REFUND OR PRICE DIFFERENCE aka not upset people are paying less, just annoyed I feel every single bump in the road.

Reactions: beewang and vickh
Not putting words in your mouth is the same thing as you trying to put words or "spin my idea"

1. I'm not upset people are paying less than me, in fact I welcome it. So putting words / ideas into each other seems to be our mutual ground.
2. What I am trying to say is, the ride quality is too stiff, not what I expect for $65K, but now it's way less than that which is much more reasonable imo and that they also fixed the stiff ride. I am saying I want to upgrade to the suspension without the need to replace an entire new car which I am still financing, repaid less than the price drop. Middle ground is ideally fix / upgrade the suspension, NOT ASKING FOR A REFUND OR PRICE DIFFERENCE aka not upset people are paying less, just annoyed I feel every single bump in the road.

Are you, or are you not asking for a free suspension upgrade because you paid more for the car than people are paying now?

I paid 80k out the door (US) for my model 3 in 2018, why shouldnt I get free matrix lights or something since I paid so much more than others are paying now?

Reactions: Rachmaninov
Are you, or are you not asking for a free suspension upgrade because you paid more for the car than people are paying now?
Asking for an upgrade not because people are paying less, but because there's a solution to not feeling every minor bumps in the road making the driver much more bearable.

Paying less will ideally go to the mind suspension upgrade should be a good will, but main point is there is a solution and they should offer people to be able to upgrade / retro (1 that is not even an option yet).

2. Can't have step 2 if 1 isn't even an option yet, but pricing for the retro fit, ideally free, but if they offer retrofits, I'm willing to even pay for the parts, but feel like there should be some good will for those who paid extra. It's like certain batch of Model Y (in my batch) were shipped without USB C ports, they were fixed later by SC once they got the parts. Asking for a decent ride quality.

Finally, entitlement, like back with FSD with HW2, Tesla have no incentives / entitled to not replace older vehicles hardware. We're still debating what's the final HW version to actually achieve FSD, it's all Elon's words at this point. I believe we will get there, but not sure when or HW version yet. This could all been solved by having a PR department (back to relations), but that itself is also a hot button issue.

More like believe we are entitled to a decent bearable ride quality not trying to break your back for $65K. One may ask, why did you get it then? It's the only viable EV for long road trip imo, which is why I was willing to pay & agreed for that price. Now there's a solution in place and for less, so asking for step 1, an option to upgrade without the need to replace entire vehicle, then step 2, pricing, hoping for some goodwill, if they want to charge for the parts so be it, but need step 1 first. Think we're entitled to have a comfortable ride.

Didn’t you bother to test drive the car you bought in 2022? Did you test the suspension before you signed the check to purchase the vehicle? It looks to me like you got the car you wanted and the car you bought. I will pick up my model Y tomorrow. Yes, it is $16,000 cheaper than yours and has a better suspension. But I can promise you that in a year from now someone will have a much better model Y than mine and likely will have paid less than I did.

Didn’t you bother to test drive the car you bought in 2022? Did you test the suspension before you signed the check to purchase the vehicle? It looks to me like you got the car you wanted and the car you bought. I will pick up my model Y tomorrow. Yes, it is $16,000 cheaper than yours and has a better suspension. But I can promise you that in a year from now someone will have a much better model Y than mine and likely will have paid less than I did.
I will agree to that which is why as Elon said, there's never a perfect Tesla, it's always changing, but yes test drove, but as mentioned, not many other viable EV for long road trips. Which is why step 1, option to retro fit. Step 2, some good wills.

Asking for an upgrade not because people are paying less, but because there's a solution to not feeling every minor bumps in the road making the driver much more bearable.

Ok, so you say you are not asking for a free suspension because others are paying less (even though in several posts in this thread, you mention car value decreasing), but because "there is a better suspension now and I feel I should be given it good will because...."? (you said you are not saying it has anything to do with people paying less, so why do you feel you should be given this suspension for free?).

Pretty much every argument for this type of thing already exists in this thread somewhere, which is why this thread exists, actually, but let me set that aside for a moment.

I am going to make a couple of fictitious arguments that are the same argument you made in your first couple of posts on this topic, just with the products swapped around to some other product category. Its up to you to see if these sound sensible or not.

===================================================

" In the middle of last year, when I bought a pack of toilet paper from Costco, it was $40 bucks a package. Also, it seems like they changed the composition of the toilet paper, and it was not as comfortable to use as I am used to. Now, the price is only $29 bucks a package, and it also seems like they are back to the more comfortable version.

I dont want a refund of the difference in price, but man, as a good will gesture, I think that costco should give me a couple packages of the tissue they are selling now for free. I am not upset, I just think they should be giving me these for free as good will. "

====================================

"I bought a new home last year in a housing development for $400k. After I started living in it, its noisier than I thought it would be. Now, they are selling new homes in the next phase of the tract for $350k, AND they are including extra insulation with these new homes. I am not upset that others are paying less for the home, but they should be giving me this extra insulation they are installing in the new homes for free, as a good will gesture."

Ok, so you say you are not asking for a free suspension because others are paying less (even though in several posts in this thread, you mention car value decreasing), but because "there is a better suspension now and I feel I should be given it good will because...."? (you said you are not saying it has anything to do with people paying less, so why do you feel you should be given this suspension for free?).

Pretty much every argument for this type of thing already exists in this thread somewhere, which is why this thread exists, actually, but let me set that aside for a moment.

I am going to make a couple of fictitious arguments that are the same argument you made in your first couple of posts on this topic, just with the products swapped around to some other product category. Its up to you to see if these sound sensible or not.

===================================================

" In the middle of last year, when I bought a pack of toilet paper from Costco, it was $40 bucks a package. Also, it seems like they changed the composition of the toilet paper, and it was not as comfortable to use as I am used to. Now, the price is only $29 bucks a package, and it also seems like they are back to the more comfortable version.

I dont want a refund of the difference in price, but man, as a good will gesture, I think that costco should give me a couple packages of the tissue they are selling now for free. I am not upset, I just think they should be giving me these for free as good will. "

====================================

"I bought a new home last year in a housing development for $400k. After I started living in it, its noisier than I thought it would be. Now, they are selling new homes in the next phase of the tract for $350k, AND they are including extra insulation with these new homes. I am not upset that others are paying less for the home, but they should be giving me this extra insulation they are installing in the new homes for free, as a good will gesture."
Clearly you're helping Tesla spinning its mouth and doing the non existent PR job for them.

For Costco, if the toilet paper was sold by Costco (Kirkland) not P&G etc, something they have control over, on a good customer relations, they will prob send a coupon / sample back after you complaint for you to try back after disappointing quality, but clearly you don't seem to take / value customers feedback seriously, speaking of entitlement ironically.

Housing is different as most of them are sold by individual home owners, so less structure there.

Aka, not putting words in your mouth, but your altitude is entitled itself, our burgers was too expensive, didn't taste good and was missing cheese at the time, McDonald's don't care about your complaints, go to Wendy's.

I love my Tesla, but the constant price changes makes it unlikely I will buy another one. It’s now $2500 cheaper than I paid 5 weeks ago. Real world it’s less because you can’t get a 2.75% 60 month now and my trade in lost a few hundred in value. This is going to drive away customers. They have to hope they get enough new people and don’t piss off the old as competition will get stronger.
This is a touchy topic I guess :) I’m with you on what you said but often debated if it makes sense for Tesla to keep prices high when they could lower them (mineral and other market driven costs) - just to keep older customers happy with not losing money on their purchases.

I questioned when they raised prices for MY to around 65k+ during 21/22 period (sudden increases) - as a customer it looked like they are playing the market.
But now seeing them drop the prices quicker/faster than the competition - I see the other side of things (for a change).

They are forcing car market to lower prices across the board. Still not sure what the real driver was for faster/sudden big price hikes (about 20%) back last year and this drop. How would most other “traditional” car companies have handled this increase/decrease over this period? Given the latest drops I’m appreciative of Tesla (at least for time being :))

Reactions: vickh
Again, I disclosed I agreed to pay $65K for the car even though it's been hard to stomach and it's declining faster than I pay down my loan, but for $65K, I expected a much more comfortable ride and quieter cabin, both which Tesla fixed since my version with comfort suspension and cargo cover reducing noise from the back and they're available for much lower price, but again NOT asking for a refund here, simply asking Tesla to do the upgrade those for free which will make me feel much more comfortable with my purchase as this aligns more like a $65K car.

I feel like anyone in your position will find recent drops hard to take. Totally reasonable. As a company that values its customers and their feedback - I would offer them as many upgrades (not “free” stuff, but reasonably paid service to upgrade) to make their 1 year old models as good as possible (simple ones like cargo cover should be done asap intact). It’s not just about selling as many new cars. It’s about cultivating confidence that money you spent is well spent (at least company tries it’s best for its customers).

Or, third party market should develop to provide these upgrades where technically feasible.