Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: texas_star_TM3
yeah thats crazy....$32400 for a brand new Tesla? wow....I may just have to go get another one :D

Um, I thought the Model 3 no longer qualified for the full 7500 tax credit. It's just the Model Y now from what I understand. Due to Model 3 battery coming from China. If I'm right, then that means the Model 3 only qualifies for $3,750 tax credit now.

OK, so I looked it up:

Seems like only the Model 3 Performance can still qualify.

Here's a list that's circulating online now (Tesla bolded by yours truly):

-Paul

Last edited:
yeah thats crazy....$32400 for a brand new Tesla? wow....I may just have to go get another one :D
Something is wrong with your math.
Base Model 3 (with Chinese LFP batteries) does not qualify for any credits.
You have to step up to Model 3 Performance ($53K) with NCA Panasonic 2170 batteries to qualify on the manufacturing criteria. There, you at least have a chance to collect $7.5K fed tax credit.

Qualifying on income is another show-stopper altogether.

Something is wrong with your math.
Base Model 3 (with Chinese LFP batteries) does not qualify for any credits.
You have to step up to Model 3 Performance ($53K) with NCA Panasonic 2170 batteries to qualify on the manufacturing criteria. There, you at least have a chance to collect $7.5K fed tax credit.

Qualifying on income is another show-stopper altogether.

oh ok, looks like it now only qualifies for the $3750

either way, $36,150 is a smoking deal for a brand new Tesla👍

Reactions: dhrivnak
oh ok, looks like it now only qualifies for the $3750

either way, $36,150 is a smoking deal for a brand new Tesla👍

can we *please* stop pretending that everyone qualifies for tax credits? for all that it's worth... the cheapest Model 3 SR+ costs $39,990 plus taxes/fees.

1st the income limits probably make a lot of coastal families/ Single earners quickly non eligible

second - you need to have enough tax liabilities and the credit can lower your tax bill to zero but will not result in a refund...

This is incorrect, what matters is your total tax liability, how much you withhold has nothing to do with this.
Seriously?

If your tax liability - your tax withholding < $7,500
AND your tax liability > $7,500

you will get a refund equal to $7,500 - (tax liability - tax withholding)

If your tax liability - your tax withholding > $7,500

you will owe taxes equal to (tax liability - tax withholding - $7,500)

Reactions: vickh
Seriously?

If your tax liability - your tax withholding < $7,500

you will get a refund equal to $7,500 - (tax liability - tax withholding)

If your tax liability - your tax withholding > $7,500

you will owe taxes equal to (tax liability - tax withholding - $7,500)
I think we're each talking about something completely different, I thought we were talking about whether people would qualify for the 7500 credit by playing around with the withholdings, not about getting a refund of the overwithholding from paychecks.

Reactions: Hiline
I think we're each talking about something completely different, I thought we were talking about whether people would qualify for the 7500 credit by playing around with the withholdings, not about getting a refund of the overwithholding from paychecks.

I hear you. You were talking about the tax credit or tax rebate, and I thought the other poster was talking about the refund that you get when you file taxes.

Reactions: mgs333
can we *please* stop pretending that everyone qualifies for tax credits? for all that it's worth... the cheapest Model 3 SR+ costs $39,990 plus taxes/fees.

1st the income limits probably make a lot of coastal families/ Single earners quickly non eligible

second - you need to have enough tax liabilities and the credit can lower your tax bill to zero but will not result in a refund...

most people would qualify...90% of the population in the US make less than $150K a year

as far as the the tax credit, there are so many different opinions on here, but most seem to agree that you will will recive a refund

there are multiple threads on the subject explaining how

Reactions: dhrivnak
most people would qualify...90% of the population in the US make less than $150K a year

as far as the the tax credit, there are so many different opinions on here, but most seem to agree that you will will recive a refund

no. definitely not. tax credits aren't being "paid out" as a refund if there is still credit left after going against all tax liabilities...

no. definitely not. tax credits aren't being "paid out" as a refund if there is still credit left after going against all tax liabilities...

Can we make a distinction between a rebate and a refund?

The federal tax credit is a rebate, not a refund. All that matters for the rebate is your tax liability. Doesn't matter how much tax you've already paid. If your tax liability, which depends on your income and not on how much tax you've already paid, is greater than $7,500 you get the full rebate amount of $7,500.

You'd get a refund when you file taxes if the amount you owe is less than $7,500.

Ordered my MYP in March of last year, took delivery in June. Paid approx 10k more than I would have now and no tax credit of course. Current trade in value is about 42k with only 1500 miles on the car :/

How many others are in the 10k club? lol