Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chevrolet's EV offerings (2023 Bolt EV and Bolt EUV) still undercut any Tesla by a significant margin. Their upcoming 2024 Equinox EV and Blazer EV will still have starting prices less than the Model Y. $30K for the Equinox and $40K for the Blazer.

The Cadillac Lyriq was relatively even with the previous Y prices, now it's about $10K over. But I see the Lyriq as more of an X competitor than a Y competitor.
But who wants to drive either of those Chevrolets ? For me, comparisons between Chevrolet and Tesla are as meaningless as they can be.

Reactions: TezlaLink.com
Those who got 2022 RWD M3 like me lucked out since it got least hit.. just $3k price drop. Maybe that's how much those ultra sonic sensors cost parts/labor which new buyers will not get.. :)
Damn... Took delivery of my SR M3 on 12/31 9pm.... I was hoping I can dip in to that $7500 tax credit... I wonder if they might be lenient or have a work around that when filing taxes. 😂🤣

Damn... Took delivery of my SR M3 on 12/31 9pm.... I was hoping I can dip in to that $7500 tax credit... I wonder if they might be lenient or have a work around that when filing taxes. 😂🤣
The work around is that you say it went into service on Jan 1. The IRS regulation specifically say "went into service" and not "delivery date". This is the same thing as when you buy a property and rent it, on your Schedule E ( Which is used to report rental income), it will ask when the date it went into service was. So you bought Dec 20th but you rented on Jan 1st so it went into service on Jan 1st.

If you get audited, you'll have to show proof it went into service on Jan 1st.. Great you have a delivery document for 31st.. That's not too bad.

Def grey area tho but possible. I took delivery in Dec as well under an LLC and will be claiming the credit for next years taxes.

Reactions: miggz410
The work around is that you say it went into service on Jan 1. The IRS regulation specifically say "went into service" and not "delivery date". This is the same thing as when you buy a property and rent it, on your Schedule E ( Which is used to report rental income), it will ask when the date it went into service was. So you bought Dec 20th but you rented on Jan 1st so it went into service on Jan 1st.

If you get audited, you'll have to show proof it went into service on Jan 1st.. Great you have a delivery document for 31st.. That's not too bad.

Def grey area tho but possible. I took delivery in Dec as well under an LLC and will be claiming the credit for next years taxes.
Quick question... Can we go by the date the DMV registered your new vehicle as "went into service"?... Not sure if DMV goes by the date you purchase the car or the date they receive the papers.

This is just me crying... but I feel like anyone who took delivery in the last 6 months ( like myself ) who paid full price for their car, should get some kind of compensation from tesla. Maybe not a cash refund, but FSD upgrade or something...

History repeats itself…

The same day I received my S90D, the 100D came out for the same price. A year later, could have bought the 100D for 20k less than I paid. Prices change. The sun still rises the next day.

Last edited:
Reactions: chinney and MacO512
Never said it was on my buy list. The response was to the assertion that the price reduction would shake up the overall market. That's not the case, it simply brings down the 3 & Y pricing where they are more competitive in the existing marketplace. However both are still priced significantly higher.
It most certainly WILL shake up the overall market. Bigly!

MANY will cancel orders for those other cars now that Teslas are lower in price.

Dealerships are going to take a bath on used vehicles (and new Teslas that they were hoping to flip).

Last edited:
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
That is why I always carry Gap insurance on my loans. At least the loan would be paid off in the event of a total loss instead of being 20k upside down on this POS
Blaming the car and Tesla for your own decisions.

Gotta love lack of personal responsibility. Did Tesla hold a gun to your head to purchase at that time?

Yes it doesn’t feel good but life goes on. It’s almost impossible to go through life and not over pay for something at least once. The good news is that you’d get a much better deal on the next vehicle. Other companies will need to lower prices to compete.. Or would you prefer to pay too much for the next vehicle too?

Last edited:
Reactions: MacO512
You do realize the cyber truck is FUGLY right, lol. Some people need an actual pickup truck.

“FUGLY” is subjective.

I have one reserved. Looking forward to it.

My uncle works for a Ford dealership and he said as soon as you get one, bring it over to the dealership. Many are interested in seeing it.

All other pickups will seem like princess wagons in comparison. Other pickups will still sell of course but over time at work sites, people will see these in action and change their mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dayreg
“FUGLY” is subjective.

I have one reserved. Looking forward to it.

My uncle works for a Ford dealership and he said as soon as you get one, bring it over to the dealership. Many are interested in seeing it.

All other pickups will seem like princess wagons in comparison. Other pickups will still sell of course but over time at work sites, people will see these in action and change their mind.

At work sites people will laugh at the Cybertruck when they realize they can chuck crap over the side of the bed because of the design. Or when the their fellow co-worker in a “Princess” F-150 is plugging equipment using that “Princess” truck while the “real truck” CT sits on the sidelines.

Imagine a $30k pickup being a “Princess” but the $80k CT wi the Fart noises being the “real truck” 🤣

Reactions: zambono