Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think what Tesla buyers need to be made aware of is that your Tesla is not special, it’s a regular car, don’t buy it thinking you’ll get the same price you paid 1 month ago. When you sell privately don’t act like you are selling an exotic 🤣

Tesla's goal is to create and sell cars that a lot of people can afford. They want to replace ice cars with EVs.

This is not a secret. They built gigafactories to pump as many cars as possible. They streamlined processes to be able to pump out as many cars as possible... they prioritize volume over quality (body gaps, paint flaws, interior materials, etc).

How the tesla brand became associated with being a "high end" car brand is kinda unusual. Tesla will not stop producing cars to "keep their brand" from looking bad because they have to discount. Other "high end" car makers will as to "not cheapen" the brand. Other high end car manufacturers will hide discounts, etc to keep their brand "high end".

Tesla does not have high end showrooms instead they have showrooms at your typical mall. Ferrari, Landover, Mercedes, they don't do that at all. Why would Mercedes show case their cars at a mall where the unwashed masses go to?

Like I said, Tesla is not high-end... never was... Tesla is about getting electric cars to the masses... the unwashed masses...

Tesla's goal is to create and sell cars that a lot of people can afford. They want to replace ice cars with EVs.

This is not a secret. They built gigafactories to pump as many cars as possible. They streamlined processes to be able to pump out as many cars as possible... they prioritize volume over quality (body gaps, paint flaws, interior materials, etc).

How the tesla brand became associated with being a "high end" car brand is kinda unusual. Tesla will not stop producing cars to "keep their brand" from looking bad because they have to discount. Other "high end" car makers will as to "not cheapen" the brand. Other high end car manufacturers will hide discounts, etc to keep their brand "high end".

Tesla does not have high end showrooms instead they have showrooms at your typical mall. Ferrari, Landover, Mercedes, they don't do that at all. Why would Mercedes show case their cars at a mall where the unwashed masses go to?

Like I said, Tesla is not high-end... never was... Tesla is about getting electric cars to the masses... the unwashed masses...

Glad you said it, maybe people will now stop taking delivery with rulers and checklist 🤣 or complaining about Service, loaners, lack of floor mats.

I don't follow tesla rebates as I just bought one in may. but i saw an article about tesla slashing prices and then it said they had the rebate of 7500 which I thought was gone so it got the wheels turning in my head.
Sorry. You are correct that Tesla was no longer eligible for rebates. The Inflation Reduction Act eliminated the 200,000 car limit for tax credits, and went into effect 1/1/2023. So EV cars under $55k qualify for the tax rebate regardless how many have been sold, but there are further stipulations regarding where the battery and such is sourced from. Due to so much confusion and uncertainty regarding all the stipulations, all EV's(I think) under $55k will qualify until things are clarified in March. This is why Tesla revamped pricing to get most or all S and 3 models under the $55k cap.

Sorry. You are correct that Tesla was no longer eligible for rebates. The Inflation Reduction Act eliminated the 200,000 car limit for tax credits, and went into effect 1/1/2023. So EV cars under $55k qualify for the tax rebate regardless how many have been sold, but there are further stipulations regarding where the battery and such is sourced from. Due to so much confusion and uncertainty regarding all the stipulations, all EV's(I think) under $55k will qualify until things are clarified in March. This is why Tesla revamped pricing to get most or all S and 3 models under the $55k cap.
Thanks for the clarification. Seems like anyone wanting one now will get a good deal compared to what anyone paid in the last year. Although the "revamped" M3 is supposed to be coming so there is that as well to throw in the mix. I am glad the government changed the law even though I was too late/early. If they want EVs on the road don't eliminate rebates for a company for having success.

I was really wanting a plaid at some point but my m3p is pretty much worthless at this point so I'll be keeping it at least a year. And it will be worth even less when the revamped model comes out.

Tesla started at the expensive end of the market (Roadster, Model S, Model X) and worked down (Model 3, Model Y), which is the opposite of many of the other earlier entrants into the EV market that started with expensive economy cars.

Huhm... I wouldn't call the original Roadster (a repurposed Lotus Elise), Model S, or Model X luxury. Yes, it was expensive, but that was due to telsa being in a niche market and at that point, wasn't really mass produced. The brand wasn't about luxury but more about "saving the planet". Nobody during the introduction of the Roadster, Model S, or Model X were bringing out rulers measuring panel gaps or really complaining about paint; or complaining about interior materials. For the most part, they were rich people who wanted to buy an electric car and support Tesla in trying to get rid of ICE cars. But as time progressed, more and more people thought Tesla's brand was about luxury. It's really, really strange...

Newer people started to come into the fold and complain about paint.. gaps.. etc.. Newer people bought Tesla cars seeming to be/ to look "cool".. etc.. The general population lost sight of Tesla's DNA and projected what they wanted to on Tesla. Which is strange because by Tesla's own actions and words, tesla wants to build cars where a lot of people can afford so that we can transition from ICE to electric cars..

Last edited:

Unwashed masses😂