Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never thought I’d see the day a cars value could plummet 22-30k over night like we invested in the stock market… yeah Elon did that and killed his brand name overnight. No trust will ever be given to him again for his cars. In 3 months he could reduce them again reducing values by another 10k anything could happen because of his stupidity.

In my case i took a last minute delivery during 6/30/19 credit phase out. I went by delivery date not DMV. Service is when you drive of lot and have possession is what I was told.

I think claiming ignorance here is fine either way since it's a grey area.
I see more of a legitimate distinction with commercial vehicles where a business buys a vehicle and it has to be upfitted with a body (commercial trucks) or with passenger vehicles that might need company logos, decals, or equipment installed. One may be about to argue a case where a car is purchased far away and delivered later. It's a risk, though audits aren't terrible common. This is certainly grey, but my experience with the government said they aren't going to be super lax about it. Either way, I think some documentation showing a legitimate reason may be required. It's a messed up situation either way.

Reactions: vickh
Again people posting this are stupid. Show me where he increased prices by 13k over night? Just like he decreased them 13k over night? There is a right way to do bussiness and a wrong way and he did it the wrong way and screwed everyone. His price increases were msrp and slowly increased incrementally. If he had listed the car as 58k with a 50k msrp and said 8k is inflationary like EVERY other dealer did. It wouldn’t be considered wrong. What he did was screw his entire base and he probably broke a few laws since he’s been skirting the whole msrp laws. I bet this catches the eyes of lawmakers especially since they are going after him for his Twitter purchase.

FYI he also said this on the same day.

Reactions: 1flossedm3
Again people posting this are stupid. Show me where he increased prices by 13k over night? Just like he decreased them 13k over night? There is a right way to do bussiness and a wrong way and he did it the wrong way and screwed everyone. His price increases were msrp. If he had listed the car as 58k with a 50k msrp and said 8k is inflationary like EVERY other dealer did. It wouldn’t be considered wrong. What he did was screw his entire vase and he probably broke a few laws since he’s been skirting the whole msrp laws. I bet this catches the eyes of lawmakers especially since they are going after him for his Twitter purchase.
I’m not stupid. I simply take responsibility for my own actions.

No one held a gun to your head to purchase when you did.

My Tesla also reduced in value because of this. But at least my next one will be less as well.

Prices are back down to near where they were a couple years ago. Covid played a large role in this. And the govt IRA bill did too.

Other companies will now need to lower prices in order to compete. In the long run, we will all benefit.

Just like with my house. Sure, I could get more for it but I’d simply be paying more for the next.

If FSD comes to full fruition, he will be right. But so far that hasn’t happened and no one should buy a mass production vehicle in order to make money.

And I think you’re wrong about these so called “broken laws”. We shall see.

I’m not stupid. I simply take responsibility for my own actions.

No one held a gun to your head to purchase when you did.

My Tesla also reduced in value because of this. But at least my next one will be less as well.

Prices are back down to near where they were a couple years ago. Covid played a large role in this. And the govt IRA bill did too.

Other companies will now need to lower prices in order to compete. In the long run, we will all benefit.

Just like with my house. Sure, I could get more for it but I’d simply be paying more for the next.

And I think you’re wrong about these so called “broken laws”. We shall see.
Show me another car dealer that caused their used market to drop by 20k….

Fanboys need to stop drinking the cool aid. Nothing Elon did was right to anyone that owns his cars. People that pay over msrp understand that they will loose that value. Tesla not having an msrp is very deceiving and people buying never understood that their over paying by 10k. Guarantee if people saw a 10k mark up they wouldn’t have sold anywhere near the amount of cars they did in 2022.

No other manufacturers has done this ever. They wouldn’t ever think o do something this stupid. It’s like a corvette if you pay 20k for the market you understand the value is at the msrp not the price you paid. Tesla doesn’t have msrp so your thinking that the value should maintain its price and depreciate 5% a year like typical cars do. Not 20k + over a 24 hour period.

I guarantee other company’s won’t lower prices because other companies electric cars are entirely dofferent. The Tesla is unique and that was considered a good thing, but a lot of the market prefers traditional electric and will stick to another brand. Most would rather pay a little more for a car company that won’t deliberately crash the used market over night on purpose. Toyota, Lexus, bmw, Chevrolet no one would be that stupid. But Tesla was.

As for laws people always knew he skirted them by not having real dealerships. Democrats have been going after him for Twitter and they almost all own teslas. I’d expect them to go after him for sure if he broke any federal or state laws over this. If he wasn’t skirting the msrp laws and actually posted it then we would be having an entirely different conversation.

Fanboys need to stop drinking the cool aid. Nothing Elon did was right to anyone that owns his cars. People that pay over msrp understand that they will loose that value. Tesla not having an msrp is very deceiving and people buying never understood that their over paying by 10k. Guarantee if people saw a 10k mark up they wouldn’t have sold anywhere near the amount of cars they did in 2022.

No other manufacturers has done this ever. They wouldn’t ever think o do something this stupid. It’s like a corvette if you pay 20k for the market you understand the value is at the msrp not the price you paid. Tesla doesn’t have msrp so your thinking that the value should maintain its price and depreciate 5% a year like typical cars do. Not 20k + over a 24 hour period.

I guarantee other company’s won’t lower prices because other companies electric cars are entirely dofferent. The Tesla is unique and that was considered a good thing, but a lot of the market prefers traditional electric and will stick to another brand. Most would rather pay a little more for a car company that won’t deliberately crash the used market over night on purpose. Toyota, Lexus, bmw, Chevrolet no one would be that stupid. But Tesla was.

As for laws people always knew he skirted them by not having real dealerships. Democrats have been going after him for Twitter and they almost all own teslas. I’d expect them to go after him for sure if he broke any federal or state laws over this. If he wasn’t skirting the msrp laws and actually posted it then we would be having an entirely different conversation.

First of all, Tesla isn't like every other car manufacturer, not even close, so please stop comparing Tesla to them. What Tesla did, regardless of how you feel about it, was undoubtedly the best decision for their business. If you don't understand how or why, I think you may be the "stupid" one.

To qualify their vehicles for a large tax savings, incentivizing new owners to buy, increasing demand and keeping up with their production capacity, they dropped their pricing. Tesla happens to produce EVs at volume for cheaper than any other manufacturer at a much higher margin. By dropping their prices (because they can without a large financial impact, unlike the rest of the industry), they are applying an incredible amount of pressure to an industry that is struggling to bring down cost and drive serious adoption of EVs. Competition drives innovation and Tesla's actions prove that this is exactly what Tesla intends to do. Tesla is forcing the industry to change and change quickly, or be left behind.

As far as your MSRP laws, they don't apply to Tesla and it isn't because they are skirting them. It is due to the simple fact that they do not operate like the rest of the industry that they're competing in. Tesla does not sell its inventory to a large network of independent dealers (suggesting what to price them at - aka MSRP), they sell directly to consumers. They control the price and they are free to adjust that price as they see fit.

If you want to bitch and moan about $10-20k of "value" that you've "lost" instead of being happy with a purchase that you deemed worthy of your money at the time of sale, fine by me, just stop repeating the same nonsense over and over. Go drive the vehicle you bought and be happy with it - if you aren't, take a bath on it and move on. No one cares if your depreciating asset depreciated quicker because of a price change. No smart person (who can afford the car they're buying) buys a car and worries about its value unless they're buying an exotic, rare car or they've invested too much of their money into a car they couldn't afford. Tesla is anything but an exotic, rare car so, should we all assume you bought a car you couldn't afford?

Last edited:
First of all, Tesla isn't like every other car manufacturer, not even close, so please stop comparing Tesla to them. What Tesla did, regardless of how you feel about it, was undoubtedly the best decision for their business. If you don't understand how or why, I think you may be the "stupid" one.

To qualify their vehicles for a large tax savings, incentivizing new owners to buy, increasing demand and keeping up with their production capacity, they dropped their pricing. Tesla happens to produce EVs at volume for cheaper than any other manufacturer at a much higher margin. By dropping their prices (because they can without a large financial impact, unlike the rest of the industry), they are applying an incredible amount of pressure to an industry that is struggling to bring down cost and drive serious adoption of EVs. Competition drives innovation and Tesla's actions prove that this is exactly what Tesla intends to do. Tesla is forcing the industry to change and change quickly, or be left behind.

As far as your MSRP laws, they don't apply to Tesla and it isn't because they are skirting them. It is due to the simple fact that they do not operate like the rest of the industry that they're competing in. Tesla does not sell its inventory to a large network of independent dealers (suggesting what to price them at - aka MSRP), they sell directly to consumers. They control the price and they are free to adjust that price as they see fit.

If you want to bitch and moan about $10-20k of value that you've "lost" instead of being happy with a purchase that you deemed worthy of your money at the time of sale, fine by me, just stop repeating the same nonsense over and over. Go drive the vehicle you bought and be happy with it - if you aren't, take a bath on it and move on. No one cares if your depreciating asset depreciated quicker because of a price change. No smart person (who can afford the car they're buying) buys a car and worries about its value unless they're buying an exotic, rare car or they've invested too much of their money into a car they couldn't afford. Tesla is anything but an exotic, rare car so, should we all assume you bought a car you couldn't afford?
Already replied to a post exactly like this

Also there is a reason car manufacturers dont directly sell to the public, it’s to not cause massive fluctuations in used prices and let dealers make a profit on cars or take a loss. MSRP laws were created to protect consumers. Tesla skirted them on purpose.

If car manufacturers sold to us direct the dealers would loose value on the purchase they made to try and resell it. Resale value matters to everyone, dealers and consumers. Tesla was on the outside by not having dealer, it’s how they skirted state and federal laws.

Last edited:

Here is a ~20% price cut.

Screenshot 2023-01-14 at 7.48.04 PM.png

Here is a ~20% price cut.

View attachment 895878

There higher price wasn’t from inflation it was from being a new manufacturer and the prices decreases are from the batteries blowing up causing fires from bad manufacturing and lost reputation. There price drop is because of that. They didn’t raise prices since so people expect theirs to fall. But I’ll give this to you as an example. So there are a couple other manufactures that might hav reduced prices have making huge screwed up cars….

As for the msrp dropping that follows the laws fine and dealers are still required to inform you if you are being marketed up of you paying above that. Tesla never disclosed this and refuses so and deceiveing all of their buyers.

Reactions: smartyxrs and Brou
Already replied to a post exactly like this

Also there is a reason car manufacturers dont directly sell to the public, it’s to not cause massive fluctuations in used prices and let dealers make a profit on cars or take a loss. MSRP laws were created to protect consumers. Tesla skirted them on purpose.

If car manufacturers sold to us direct the dealers would loose value on the purchase they made to try and resell it. Resale value matters to everyone, dealers and consumers. Tesla was on the outside by not having dealer, it’s how they skirted state and federal laws.
What are these “MSRP laws”? Serious question.

Dealers fight any sort of proposal for consumer protections that would help prevent price gouging and require them to act honestly and fairly. Their goal is to ensure they can price a car however they like, regardless of the MSRP and regardless of the price that THEY advertise the car that THEY are selling.

There higher price wasn’t from inflation it was from being a new manufacturer and the prices decreases are from the batteries blowing up causing fires from bad manufacturing and lost reputation. There price drop is because of that. They didn’t raise prices since so people expect theirs to fall. But I’ll give this to you as an example. So there are a couple other manufactures that might hav reduced prices have making huge screwed up cars….

As for the msrp dropping that follows the laws fine and dealers are still required to inform you if you are being marketed up of you paying above that. Tesla never disclosed this and refuses so and deceiveing all of their buyers.

I get it but the auto industry is undergoing big disruption right now. The Model 3/Y are really $40k-$50k vehicles. They were just inflated by $10-$15k due to the supply chain issues. The same way people were paying $10k or more over sticker for new ICE based vehicles. Now that demand destruction is taking place as a result of inflation and higher interest rates, prices are retreating back to their realistic levels. I paid $36,500 for my 2019 SR+ after the tax credit. There is no way my SR+ should have been worth over $40k 3 years later. That is ridiculous, there is nothing that special about a Model 3. It is not some unique, low production collectors car. It is a 4 year old mass produced EV that is in need of a refresh. Now it is probably worth $25k, which is what should be worth.

Reactions: eleison and launchd
Really? Haha this makes tesla look even worse.
Sure it does.

GM offers Chevy Bolt EV owners $6,000 if they promise not to sue over battery fire recall fiasco. General Motors has started offering Chevy Bolt EV owners a $6,000 refund as long as they promise not to sue over the battery fire recall fiasco of last year.”

• Funny
Reactions: vickh
What recession, 200k new jobs each month is a recession? Don't confuse your tesla stock tanking along with worthless digital currencies with the real economy.
Why aren't people buying as many cars than before? Why are less people buying houses? Why are stocks tanking? Why are young adults moving back to their parents? Why are people in general complaining about not being able to afford food?

If we are not in a recession, what kind of economy are we in? Is this a economy "normal"? If 200k new jobs are created every month, why all the gloom and doom? Is everyone just delusional and they should go back to acting like it's "fun times"? Spending money.. buying houses.. eating out... etc... if not why not?
How long before its a depression the way this economy is going? ugh

Really? Haha this makes tesla look even worse.

No it makes GM look incompetent - which is exactly why they're heading toward bankruptcy or another government bailout. They are selling cars at a loss, that had serious safety issues and they're giving consumers money in exchange for a contractual agreement to not sue them over it... this is a nightmare scenario and not a good business decision, unlike Tesla's.