Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking of doing sort of the same, except only once, not to mimic a lease. In Colorado, first year registration is quite a bit higher and I wouldn't want to pay that every year. Also, tint on this vehicle is mandatory for me, ceramic, color correction, etc. I doubt any of that would increase it's trade-in value much. So there are some downsides other than simply getting a newer model with tax incentives. But I'm also someone that doesn't buy/need new cars regularly. Our 2022 M3 "replaced" a 2010 Honda Fit (we still have it and it's great.)
To those who can afford, anyone planning to use the rebates to stay current and trade in switch every year? It's cheaper than leasing for sure.

What do you all think would be incentives prior to end of Q3 to push inventory out the door?

With Highland coming soon, I'm still waiting until Q3 comes near an end (mid to late september) and hopefully we can see some more price slashes (on existing inventory) before I pull trigger on a new M3.

There's a local inventory at my Tesla dealer priced at just under 38k....so that's almost 30k for a brand new base white M3 with the tax credit. Unfortuantely my state doesn't have any other EV tax credits so the feds are all I got.

If the numbers work out to where it's under 30k for an effective price for a new M3, then I'll be more interested. Might need to wait until Q4...but I figure with Highland coming out it could be the perfect storm to snatch up a deeply discount pre-Highland, existing inventory new M3....thoughts?
I read somewhere that Tesla started incentives a bit late in Q2 and that they changed strategies for Q3 and just continued the incentives from Q2 without any break. So the incentives are already there. I have a feeling the amount of the incentives is changing on a regular basis though. I check the inventory prices in NY, and the prices move a bit.

Tesla is still producing new pre-Highland M3s right now. Don't know how Highland will affect pricing. It may depend on how consumers react. If Highland is clearly better, I would charge full price on them if I were Tesla. Doesn't mean I would sell the old M3 inventory at deep discounts though.

And NJ no sales tax on EVs, amazing

M3RWD $40-$4K state -$3500 sales tax -$7500 Fed
= $25K
Imagine M2 = $25K-$4-$2.2K-$7.5K=$11,300
Insane

I hate NI
Holy heck, that's incredible. $7500 state level rebate stacked with federal. If you strike at the right time and get a $38k model 3 (that's what mine was in july) you're looking at $23k for the damn thing!

I think people are making too much out of highland. Any kind of a sub-$30k price on a new model 3 is a stunning deal in this market, irrespective of highland. We have almost 3k on our car we picked up only a month ago. Wife's commute is ridiculous :D

Checked Tesla and noticed there are no new M3 RWD in inventory in Fremont CA area and NYC area but there are some in Chicago and DC. Someone would have to check zip codes in different states. How often does this happen? Last quarter NYC always had new M3 RWD in inventory when I was shopping for one.

Hey bro, the inventory in NY has been gone for last 4-5 days on the RWD M3. I was able to get one from Indiana but had to pay 1000$ for shipping. I got the black with white interior. Probably means the Highland is here but I honestly think they will increase the price and may even get rid of the RWD. For me, some minor upgrades probably not worth to spend 5-7K and may not then qualify for the NYS 2000$ rebate. Im content with the current car in that color (2500 upgrade) and functions as i qualify for all the govt welfare and will beat the crap out of it lol.

Looking at the inventory prices for Model 3 SR and I can't figure out how Tesla is pricing the cars. I see msm with the standard black interior priced higher than msm with white interiors, etc. I bought a msm with white interior about 3 weeks ago for 36,620 (with 500. referral) and haven't seen any cars priced that low since, even with a black interior. Can anyone explain what's going on with their pricing?

They continually adjust price based on availability, what they think people will pay, etc. I agree there’s no rhyme or reason.

I just nabbed one with white interior and I’m driving 5 hours to Santa Barbara to pick it up because it was inexplicably $1500 cheaper than any identical white interior closer by. 🤷🏼‍♂️

You got a killer deal on that msm/white. I should have pulled the trigger when you did. In fact I think we might have been looking at the same damn car and you nabbed it first. 😂

… and finally another interesting observation:

The car I released in Santa Barbara is now re-listed at the $500 lower price I just locked in at Burbank.

Conclusion:

I think they have a variety of price targets they want some number of vehicles available at in each region.

Further evidence of the randomness - just looked and found an identical config in Burbank for $500 less (which is also 1.5 hours closer to me). Called in and they just switched it over. 👍🏻
I am in a similar situation, where I see same config same price at a closer location. I texted them about it but by the time they replied the closer one was no longer available. Did you just call the closer location?

Thanks. I called and they even agreed to move the closer car to the closest location to my home. But now I have wait for a new delivery appointment and it is not ready to be set up yet.
FYI, if you're eligible for and counting on a CA Clean Vehicle rebate, do everything you can to take delivery ASAP and get your application in by September 5: