Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there even any real NA update on when Highland will become available? I know there was ’re-tooling’ in Fremont a few months back, but they are still producing current M3, no?

Regardless of whether or not (most likely not) the battery won’t CURRENTLY allow for the full $7500 domestic tax credit?

I think a lot are in the same boat relatively speaking. I suspect your advisor is just guessing as to a price increase, though I'm by no means saying he/she is incorrect. Some have suspected the "warning" from tesla about halving of the federal credit may be fear mongering, but maybe it's not.

I very much think highland is not worth $8k more if it came to that.

I assume your state doesn't have any additional tax credits for an EV? Coming from a civic to this car you're going to be very happy!
The State of Ohio doesn't offer any additional EV tax credits and it doesn't seem liek they will at any point in 2024. Ohio actually charges an additional $200 per year on top of typical yearly ($31) registration fees. Not sure if this is standard in other states, but Ohio uses this as a way to recoup their .38 cents per gallon gas tax. The only other tax benefit that I have found is the IRS Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Credit (Form 8911). This refunds me 30% of the cost to buy and install an at home charger, with a cap of $1,000.

• Informative
Reactions: EatsShoots
FYI - All inventory Model 3s are discounted 3-4% as of 11.14.2023. Whether that's sufficient for you to purchase is up to you to decide; personally, I am waiting for 8-10% discount over the next 6 weeks (same as it was toward the end of Q3).
I was only seeing 3% ~$1200 just a few hours again, and now I’m seeing at least one that’s ~6% or ~$2400 off. It’s getting pretty tempting when I’m seeing $37,600 for a white interior. I haven’t been expecting to see m3 under $36,000. So, seeing one with white interior at $37,600 makes me feel like we might be getting close to max discounts already with today’s US Inventory getting to about 1717, highest since I started watching after Q3. Will inventory keep going up and prices keep going down?

Urgent please help..

I have a M3 delivery scheduled for tomorrow morning at a location which is 50 miles away from me. Just now a noticed there is additional $780 discount from what I am paying at another location which is closer to me. I have already paid in full via my bank account. What are my options at this point to get the lower price or a VIN change to the lowered price inventory M3?

@suku, unfortunately Tesla does not have much of a system in place for negotiations. Prior to paying, the delivery advisor can sometimes switch a VIN, but now that you own the car, likely the only thing you can do is reject the delivery, eat your deposit, and start over. It'd be worth asking if you could switch to a discounted inventory model, but it's very likely that they simply can't at this point.

Tesla staff will generally do everything they can to help you, they have no commissions and no skin in the game - they're only there for you. But realize that they are almost powerless.

Reactions: EatsShoots
Inventory price drop to recent floor.
RWD $36,260
Is this the year end floor?
Doubt it.

Attachments

• E60C05A6-B065-48EE-B937-C1FC5A857B1E.png
    E60C05A6-B065-48EE-B937-C1FC5A857B1E.png
    355.7 KB · Views: 42
I am tracking RWD, black interior with 18 inch wheels in three different colors.

November 13th - MSRP
Gray $38,990 // White $39,990 // Black $40,490

November 15th (~3% off)
Gray $37,820 // White $38,790 // Black $39,280

November 17th (~5% off)
Gray $37,040 // White $38,390 // Black $38,470

I am tracking RWD, black interior with 18 inch wheels in three different colors.

November 13th - MSRP

November 15th (~3% off)

November 17th (~5% off)
Seems like I'm lucky by a few hundred bucks bc apparently a bunch are getting dumped in the Northeast for a few reasons. I see the $36,650 car(s) today. I see US inventory is a few cars higher than I last checked. So it's still climbing. I could understand if Tesla does not discount more, but I don't expect peak discounts until the end of November, or at least until Black Friday. My wife tells me that some people tell her not to wait for Black Friday bc most stores are running good sales before Black Friday now anyway. So rather than trying to follow some predefined logic, I think I won't start panicking until I see inventory starting to fall. If it's still growing, then I will expect prices to not go up.

It's amazing how quickly and closely the pricing follows the offensiveness of Elon's tweets. I suppose that's one of the great advantages of eschewing the archaic dealership model by selling direct to consumers.

They must have an intern whose only job is to monitor Elon's Twitter account all day and adjust prices accordingly.
The first big drop was mid week before Elon got to running his mouth, though. If they do have an intern this person’s only job should be to lock musk out of his account.

Seems like I'm lucky by a few hundred bucks bc apparently a bunch are getting dumped in the Northeast for a few reasons. I see the $36,650 car(s) today. I see US inventory is a few cars higher than I last checked. So it's still climbing. I could understand if Tesla does not discount more, but I don't expect peak discounts until the end of November, or at least until Black Friday. My wife tells me that some people tell her not to wait for Black Friday bc most stores are running good sales before Black Friday now anyway. So rather than trying to follow some predefined logic, I think I won't start panicking until I see inventory starting to fall. If it's still growing, then I will expect prices to not go up.
It seems as if my local pricing is a day behind yours. What are your prices showing today? Here is what I see as of this morning.

November 13th - MSRP

November 15th (~3% off)

November 17th (~5% off)

November 18th (~6% off)
Gray $36,650 // White $38,390 // Black $38,060

Yesterday the number of M3 in inventory in the US was something like 1754. The only option I want is white interior, but the cheapest one with that was $1330 more than the cheapest M3 in the US, not $1000. When I woke today, I see a white interior car $400 cheaper, but no new new low on the M3 prices. So if there’s a white interior for $930 more than the cheapest M3, I guess things are starting to look more tempting for me.

Then I looked at the inventory, and I see that it’s way up today.
527 MS, 423 MX, 2218 M3, 2113 MY

Hmm… how many M3 should they really pump out before shutting down the production lines and switching over to Highland? If I was running the show, I think I’d want enough to cover until Fremont can begin pumping out the new model, at least enough to get through the end of the year.

So they normally sell about 400k cars a quarter worldwide and this quarter need to do about 500k to hit the 1.8M number. Let’s assume the Cybertruck is not making a dent in that, nor are MS or MX sales. It’s pretty much all MY and M3. M3 will likely make up at least half of that with people having more reason to buy a 3 now with the fed discount getting cut. I think that Tesla might realistically be looking at nearly 250k of those 500k cars being M3. Sales through October apparently looked quite healthy and I’d have to assume they are nearly on track to hit their 500k number. If they are really selling about 80,000 (or anywhere in that order of magnitude) M3 per month, they would need an immense inventory to get them through December. I guess they really can’t shut down M3 production until near the end of the year. Like, a 20,000 inventory (10x what they currently have) of just M3 wouldn’t even get them through the last two weeks of the year.

So I’m going to expect the inventory to continue to go up and up to the point where Tesla feels they have enough to cover and shut down production to switchover to Highland.

I could see November 30 and the delivery of the CT being an announcement date. It’s a week after Thanksgiving, so that will give them some insight as to how December might look for M3 sales, and they can make decisions on how to proceed then. I don’t expect any new movement in prices until November 30.

The most discounted cars I’m looking at are about 2 hours away from me. My nearest delivery point is about an hour away. There is one closer, but it has no discounts. My wife has a work trip near one of the locations for November 30 I believe. I’m told that I may need to allow up to a week for some pickups, 1.5 weeks if the vehicle shows as in-transit. So it’s getting real close for me, just based on my personal logistics. I’d love to get the best deal of all time, but may need to just pull the trigger. Hey, if we are there November 30 and then see some drastic change, perhaps we can refuse delivery of the vehicle. Hmm…

Is there ANYONE who has ever over-thought the purchase of a Tesla more than me? I think I can win that all-time prize, even if I don’t get the lowest price tag ever. :)

47901E76-D44A-44EE-8C3C-236241047187.png

Reactions: AJ..
Maybe I should have grabbed a white interior today for $37,190 2 hours away. It looks like the discounts worked to quickly bring down inventory across the country, or perhaps there was just a glitch. Inventory was up for just a day, and things moved fast on a Saturday after a load hit the market Friday night. Now back to where it was a few days ago. Falling inventory? Might have to wait for Tuesday to see how many more arrive.

459 MS, 334 MX, 1748 M3, 1923 MY

And now back up. Tracker be whack(er)

550 MS, 426 MX, 2238 M3, 2115 MY

I think the Tesla-info tracker is not showing correct data. No matter the zip code entered, it seems when you click on many of their listed cars, the Tesla site says the car isn’t available for the zip code. I believe that’s because the car is sold and just hasn’t been removed from the Tesla-info site. And for whatever reason, Tesla doesn’t just say “car has been sold”.

I saw what I believe was 2204, and now

509 MS, 381 MX, 2195 M3, 2098 MY

So as expected, inventory trended downward over the weekend. I would expect more deliveries over the next few days before they stop for Thanksgiving.

Speaking to the local test drive office (where no cars are delivered), they said I can enter a zip code for my closest delivery site, and then have them “make an adjustment” so I can pick up there, as it’s in a state with special requirements that won’t show if I enter my actual registration zip code. That’s a nice thing that might make pickup a lot easier for me. Unfortunately, there aren’t any steep discounts there yet. … So I wait.