Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powerwall 3 [Speculation / Discussion etc]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree. I did the calculation and consolidated all my loads into one larger panel to get by with one gateway. But Tesla needs two gateways, 400 amp and 200 amp.
Your installation would have been cleaner with all powerwalls on one system. Plus up to 20 powerwalls on one system! I’m still waiting for you to add 5 more powerwalls!
Yea I agree, but the folks I worked with did not have enough technical knowledge to put the numbers together, and at the time I did not either.
I now know what to do, but the cost to make it work will be very very expensive to get all the solar and PW's in one 200 amp setup, but I would pay for the fun of it, but my installer again has no interest to learn how to do this. Oh well, at least this knowledge can be used by someone else to not make my same mistake

Any news?
Nothing on PW3.
I started new thread (Site Inspection Tuesday) as I realized I was high jacking this thread.
Here is the summary of the site inspection posted to that thread, for what it’s worth:

Site inspection went well.
It was a Tesla employee; I was expecting a local contractor.
He felt batteries could be stacked and placed in garage; he did not expect a problem from our township here in Pennsylvania with stacking but said placement in garage must be in side wall rather than back wall or bollard would be required to protect battery from car driving into battery.
He did advise Tesla’s online pricing (2 PWs for $24,486 & 3 PWs for $33,072) is for exterior install near meter and additional fees would be added for interior/garage install but proposal would have both options.
He looked over panels in basement and wall charger in garage, took photos and measurements, flew drone over our roof/array and was gone in under two hours, much of which was filled with conversation.

He said he didn’t expect a backorder delay on PW2, mentioned $500 panel discount but had no info on pending release of PW3 beyond that, given $500 discount through 10/31, it is anticipated to be available “soon.”

Reactions: TJ21CT and KJD
Just posted this in another thread. I should add that our project timeline has been... not fast. But probably typical of CA these days:

2/7/23 - Order Placed, $250 deposit paid (16 panels, 6.4kW, 1 Powerwall)
3/3/23 - Initial Design completed, changes requested to panel placement
3/9/23 - Design updated with new panel placement and approved by us
3/9/23 - Purchase Agreement signed
3/16/23 - Site assessment completed, Tesla recommends roof replacement (asphalt shingle; existing roof 28+ years old)
3/18/23 - Architectural Request form submitted to HOA (roof + solar)
3/24/23 - NEM 2.0 Interconnect Agreement (SCE) signed & submitted
3/23/23 - Written Acceptance for roof + solar received from HOA & forwarded to Tesla
3/24/23 - Full Plan Set uploaded to Tesla account. Changes requested by us to re-route conduit under eaves or in attic
3/29/23 - Full Plan Set updated, $700 charge added for in-attic conduit routing
4/12/23 - Acknowledgement from SCE of NEM 2.0 application, warning of severe backlog and delays to processing
4/17/23 - Tesla submits plans/permit application to the city
5/1/23 - City rejects permit application, sends back to Tesla (not sure of reason)
5/2/23 - "We appreciate your patience" message from SCE regarding NEM 2.0 application
5/26/23 - Roofing contractor completes new roof installation and city permit signed off. Approved/signed permit + photos sent to Tesla & acknowledged
6/9/23 - City website updated; permit approved after resubmit
6/20/23 - Email from Tesla confirming permit approved, stay tuned for installation scheduling communication.

8/21/2023 - Installation confirmed for 9/7/2023. Progress! Will it be a PW3 per the installation plans? Tune in to find out!

Reactions: Docfxit and TJ21CT
I have read over time this is how some talk about it
A friend who lives a couple miles away also has Tesla solar and PW on order. His plans call for PW+, not PW3. And his installation date is scheduled for one week before ours. It seems random that PW3 was spec'd for our installation but to be clear, our plans very clearly call out PW3 whereas his calls out PW+. What's crazier is his order was placed just a couple months ago. Ours was placed back in February.

A friend who lives a couple miles away also has Tesla solar and PW on order. His plans call for PW+, not PW3. And his installation date is scheduled for one week before ours. It seems random that PW3 was spec'd for our installation but to be clear, our plans very clearly call out PW3 whereas his calls out PW+. What's crazier is his order was placed just a couple months ago. Ours was placed back in February.
You win

This is very interesting. Has anyone ordered a Powerwall direct recently and confirmed the version? I would think Powerwall direct orders would be processed faster and therefore better reflect current inventory.

fair enough, best of luck

but yea as for the powerwall versions
powerwall 1
powerwall 2
powerwall+ (3)