Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powerwall 3 [Speculation / Discussion etc]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The plan set lists the part number as Powerwall 3 [240V] # 1707000-0-G 11.5 kW / 13.5 kWh
Certainly looks like a different system from Powerwall+.

1692837031076.png

A friend who lives a couple miles away also has Tesla solar and PW on order. His plans call for PW+, not PW3. And his installation date is scheduled for one week before ours. It seems random that PW3 was spec'd for our installation but to be clear, our plans very clearly call out PW3 whereas his calls out PW+. What's crazier is his order was placed just a couple months ago. Ours was placed back in February.
What size breaker is your Powerwall 3 connected to?

What size breaker is your Powerwall 3 connected to?
100A. They're relocating everything to a new 225A subpanel that's downstream of a Backup Gateway.

EDIT: The diagram shows a 50A breaker inside the Backup Gateway feeding the PW3. I suppose that's cutting it close if the PW3 is capable of outputting a sustained 11kW. 100A is the main breaker at the meter. That's not changing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Docfxit
8/21/2023 - Installation confirmed for 9/7/2023. Progress! Will it be a PW3 per the installation plans? Tune in to find out!
Andy,
Is the pricing higher than PW2?

My site inspection was last week and updated quote is just under $25k for two PW2s, including installation.

If price is in that vicinity for PW3, I may request a change order. I think permit application was already submitted but ….

100A. They're relocating everything to a new 225A subpanel that's downstream of a Backup Gateway.

EDIT: The diagram shows a 50A breaker inside the Backup Gateway feeding the PW3. I suppose that's cutting it close if the PW3 is capable of outputting a sustained 11kW. 100A is the main breaker at the meter. That's not changing.
The branch circuit for the Powerwall 3 is 100A or the subfeed?

With the approx 11 kW inverter of the PW3 I assumed a 60A breaker would be used for the branch circuit.

The branch circuit for the Powerwall 3 is 100A or the subfeed?

With the approx 11 kW inverter of the PW3 I assumed a 60A breaker would be used for the branch circuit.
Sorry, I was confused by the original question.

The main breaker to the house is 100A and that's not changing.

The line diagram shows a 50A breaker inside the Backup Gateway which connects to the PW3. So yes, I agree that a 60A breaker seems like it'd be a better choice given the PW3's higher output. Hopefully this won't be a big deal; I can't picture many scenarios where the load on the PW3 would be that high, frankly.

Sorry, I was confused by the original question.

The main breaker to the house is 100A and that's not changing.

The line diagram shows a 50A breaker inside the Backup Gateway which connects to the PW3. So yes, I agree that a 60A breaker seems like it'd be a better choice given the PW3's higher output. Hopefully this won't be a big deal; I can't picture many scenarios where the load on the PW3 would be that high, frankly.

Strange that the breaker is still 50A for that large of an inverter. Perhaps this is only to help startup large loads and the continuous output stays the same? I would otherwise expect a 60A breaker. Certainly it will have the breaker that it was designed for.

Wow, based on the table "PV DC Input Capability" was checked "Y". Could this mean that the Powerwalls could now directly input solar? This would eliminate the need for a sperate inverter and make Powerwall+ not needed.
That's seems right!
I talked with crew today, they said that they have training now for PW3. and inverter is inbuilt, dimension of PW also reduced.

Reactions: apacheguy