Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powerwall 3 [Speculation / Discussion etc]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This statement is interesting for California residents:
"Iā€™m a California resident. Will switching my home battery to Powerwall 3 mean I lose my NEM 2.0 status?
Yes. Californian utilities administering NEM 2.0 have indicated that any change to the currently approved system design, following April 14, 2023, would mean that interconnection applications are no longer valid. If you are changing to Powerwall 3, you will need to enroll in the new Net Billing Tariff."

"Iā€™m a California resident. Will switching my home battery to Powerwall 3 mean I lose my NEM 2.0 status?
Yes. Californian utilities administering NEM 2.0 have indicated that any change to the currently approved system design, following April 14, 2023, would mean that interconnection applications are no longer valid. If you are changing to Powerwall 3, you will need to enroll in the new Net Billing Tariff."
I believe that's only correct if the PW3 installation is in the context of expanding a PV system in excess of the greater of 1 kW or 10%. But if you had an existing PV system and you decided to just replace that inverter with a PW3 without adding panels, then that change wouldn't trigger loss of NEM 1.0 or NEM 2.0 status.

Reactions: apacheguy
I believe that's only correct if the PW3 installation is in the context of expanding a PV system in excess of the greater of 1 kW or 10%. But if you had an existing PV system and you decided to just replace that inverter with a PW3 without adding panels, then that change wouldn't trigger loss of NEM 1.0 or NEM 2.0 status.
I suspect the statement is for people that made it in under the wire with NEM2 applications but haven't had their system installed yet.

A lot of new (and/or additionally confirmed) details in this video:

1. Supports up to 20 kW of nameplate solar
  2. DC coupled
  3. Can be installed without Gateway or Smart Meter for self-consumption, or either can be added later for backup capability
  4. Confirmed LFP, which should make installation easier where there are strict building codes
  5. PW2 will continue to be produced for retrofits

A solar inverter is a solar inverter. It doesnā€™t matter what brand of panels you have. I will connect my panels to the PW3 and it will work.

It also matters if you have microinverters, as opposed to a string inverter. Sure, one could re-wire existing panels to bypass the micro-inverters - but no installer would touch an existing PV system in that way, neither Tesla nor third-party installers.

Why not? Original S/X charged at 80A, that's 19kW.

Depending on setup, a bunch goes to the batteries. Grid charging is only 5kW (single PW), but the cells may allow more, plus they mention expansion packs.
With an 11.4 kW inverter and Tesla max of about 1.7 DC/AC ratio this works out to be right at 11.4 kW PV inverter.

This seems typical of Tesla, they might use less inverter than other installers and accept the clipping.

It also matters if you have microinverters, as opposed to a string inverter. Sure, one could re-wire existing panels to bypass the micro-inverters - but no installer would touch an existing PV system in that way, neither Tesla nor third-party installers.
So no PW3 for me since my fairly new solar install with Enphase microinverters will not be compatible? And I held off getting battery storage waiting for the PW3. Bummer.

Reactions: h2ofun
  1. Supports up to 20 kW of nameplate solar
  2. DC coupled
  3. Can be installed without Gateway or Smart Meter for self-consumption, or either can be added later for backup capability
  4. Confirmed LFP, which should make installation easier where there are strict building codes
  5. PW2 will continue to be produced for retrofits
Wait a minute...#2 means no grid charging then, correct?

Reactions: h2ofun