Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powerwall 3 [Speculation / Discussion etc]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, thanks. But the worst case technically is this:

(a) In grid following mode (utility is up), the GW equivalent simply will not support CTs to track other solar inverters. So the PW3 charge behavior will ignore the other PV, you couldn't set it up to charge only from solar and count the 3rd party solar in that configuration. If you place the "house" CTs accordingly, the other PV will just appear to be a negative load, so the PW3 will still adjust its discharge behavior to only cover net load.

(b) In grid forming mode (utility is down), the grid forming inverter will not support AC charging of the batteries and will shut down if the attached microgrid has a net power production. I guess this is possible but seems pretty stupid. If this is the case, you just have to interconnect your other PV outside the GW so it won't be on the microgrid.

Cheers, Wayne

It may have that requirement to handle switchover to isolation better. The solar inverter may or may not kick off on transition.
Plus, the system may go for zero net current before the gateway disconnects, having other sources available complicates that.

All valid possibilities but unlikely any major technical issue that Tesla hasn't solved before in PW2. It's even possible the PW3 has the technical capability in HW design but intentionally crippled in firmware. Ultimately, it's more likely a business decision rather than insurmountable technical hurdles to not support third-party inverters in PW3.

All valid possibilities but unlikely any major technical issue that Tesla hasn't solved before in PW2. It's even possible the PW3 has the technical capability in HW design but intentionally crippled in firmware. Ultimately, it's more likely a business decision rather than insurmountable technical hurdles to not support third-party inverters in PW3.
It is possible that it might not have inputs for current monitors to attach to external inverter feeds, so it would have no way of knowing how much external PV was producing.

Reactions: mongo
Same here, no mention if/when PW3 would be available but they also bumped my assessment from 10/25 to 10/2. Appears some spots might be opening up for folks putting their project on hold? (speculation)
Yeah I was 10/30 and then kept checking for reschedule dates and 10/9 popped up, a whole 3 weeks earlier than before.

My plan is if they can get it installed by 12/31, I’ll take PW+/2. Otherwise I’ll just put it on hold and wait for PW3. I mean if they can’t get me installed by 12/31 then we are in 2024 already and release is imminent…

Reactions: metalblaze
See the quoted Tesla doc:

It makes little sense technically to me as well but business motivation often trumps all else.

Interesting, Are they still going to produce Powerwall 2's? If not it definitely signals a move into a completely vertical environment - you can't have Powerwalls with Enphase or Solaredge systems, and no retrofit markets will work. I guess if you had Sunnyboy or Fronius string inverters you could rewire them into a Powerwall 3 and toss the old inverters, but that makes the economics even worse.

Powerwall pricing didn't seem to change either, so still a losing economic proposition, but will be interesting to see how the other solar vendors respond to this.

All this complexity makes me double down on waiting for a V2H vehicle as the core of an economic ESS system, which eliminates Tesla cars as an option, at least for now.

Interesting, Are they still going to produce Powerwall 2's? If not it definitely signals a move into a completely vertical environment - you can't have Powerwalls with Enphase or Solaredge systems, and no retrofit markets will work. I guess if you had Sunnyboy or Fronius string inverters you could rewire them into a Powerwall 3 and toss the old inverters, but that makes the economics even worse.

Powerwall pricing didn't seem to change either, so still a losing economic proposition, but will be interesting to see how the other solar vendors respond to this.

All this complexity makes me double down on waiting for a V2H vehicle as the core of an economic ESS system, which eliminates Tesla cars as an option, at least for now.
PW3 hasn’t technically been released yet; pricing is unknown.

Yes, it appears PW2 will continued to be manufactured as a retrofit option.

I read this article today and it implied the PW3 does not integrate with the PW2. Anyone know if this, correct?

The article says: "Powerwall 3, however, doesn’t play nice with other battery solutions, including Powerwall 2, and can’t work with other solar inverters. "

---

Never mind, found this in the PW3 notes on the FAQ on the Tesla site: "Powerwall 3 can be added to other Powerwall 3 batteries and cannot be added to Powerwall 2 or Powerwall+ batteries. Powerwall 3 is not compatible with other solar inverters." Sort of sucks.

Reactions: Jones1
I read this article today and it implied the PW3 does not integrate with the PW2. Anyone know if this, correct?

The article says: "Powerwall 3, however, doesn’t play nice with other battery solutions, including Powerwall 2, and can’t work with other solar inverters. "

That is what the Tesla website says, and is discussed in this PW3 discussion thread I moved your post to.

Reactions: h2ofun and jboy210
Will PW3s be available to non-Tesla solar folks? I recall reading this buried in some online source a few weeks ago. My plan is to add batteries to my PV system in the next 12 to 18 months. 2 PW3s would be the perfect solution but I don't have Tesla panels, Inverters, or combiner gear.

You should be able to order PW3 direct regardless of what your setup is but installation will be on you.
That isn't how it works. From the looks of it the PW3 is not designed to be able to integrate with an external solar system. You could probably install a PW3, but it would act like a standalone PW with no knowledge of solar. (So, no charging from solar when the grid was down, no solar self-consumption support, etc.)

Not to mention that Tesla doesn't sell Powerwalls as just parts, nor do they support, allow?, self-installation.

If you want to integrate with external solar you need to go with a Powerwall 2 system.

You should be able to order PW3 direct regardless of what your setup is but installation will be on you.
No

1695738904894.png

Reactions: MP3Mike
If you were planning to order Tesla solar, would your order it today or wait for Powerwall 3 to become available, and why?

I would probably wait if there was not some financial incentive to move forward now, and I had nothing. PW 3 is supposed to be an integrated solution, with a LFP battery, so less charging conversions back and forth.

That only works if one is ok tying their entire project to Tesla, for the foreseeable future. It sounds like it will be a somewhat closed system, in that Tesla itself is telling people that PW3 is not available for retrofit. I am not a big fan of proprietary systems, so that would also play a part in my decision making.