Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: "Powerwall +"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had 2 Powerwall+ batteries installed with a 12.24 kW Solar and they are having issues pairing the 2 Powerwalls. The second Poewerwall isnt going into "follow mode" and I heard the phone support say it needed newer software. Current firmware is 21.20.0

Question, will my solar system be able to use the entire array to charge both batteries? The solar installed lead tech didn't know and said the system was split 50/50 so each array of panels would charge and be paired to a Powerwall. That seems odd to me as I thought all power went to the gateway and then charged the Powerwalls from there.
Did you get the design plan that specifies PowerWall+ will be installed? Or, you design plan says Powerwall but they installed PW+ upgrade automatically?

I’ll just received my design plan. I like how that meter adapter switch really simplifies the design for a whole home back up. It has a generation breaker panel for the 2 pw+ and 2 pw2.1’s so it looks like AC coupling is how the sets of panels will charge each other. I have 6 strings and they have east and west side strings evenly mixed across the two pw +’s. The generation panel is wired in parallel into the main power line so no rewiring of the main panel would be needed. Can’t see a downside to this design if the software/firmware is working properly. Easy to add more powerwalls if needed if I can find space.
How did you get a design plan? I got an image off the website of my rooftop and the panel layout. I received no actual design or specs beyond what the installers left behind.

How did you get a design plan? I got an image off the website of my rooftop and the panel layout. I received no actual design or specs beyond what the installers left behind.
Based on all the TMC posts I called and asked for it. Seems many others have been asking for it. Advisor answered much faster than previous weeks and sent it via email right away.

They can stack a normal PW on top of a PW+. See pics here (not mine):

I havent been following along in this thread, but its VERY important that any distinctions about mounting, stacking etc be given the disclaimer that "it depends on what your AHJ (authority having jurisdiction, otherwise known as local city / county etc) allow.

Anyone in Northern CA should find out directly from their installers if they are expecting powerwalls to be stacked, regardless of what pictures you see on the internet (or here, even from people in CA), for example./

Powerwalls may or may not be able to be stacked depending on local codes, even though the product can be stacked per its installation manual.

I have two quick questions:

1. I'm looking at my design plan in the legend, it says conduits should be denoted by a green line but my plan doesn't have any green lines on it. Is the information just omitted?

2. Is there maximum distance between the main utility panel and the powerwall, inverter and gateways?
2. 147' from Powerwall to gateway 300' from Gateway to any given (new style neurio) CT meter.

Couple n00b Powerwall+ questions.

I currently have an 11.88kW Tesla solar system.

I'm considering adding 12.24kW + Powerwalls. I had intended to get 3 Powerwalls as, at least on the website, it made it appear that I could run everything I needed. Since the + is 50% [?] more power I suppose 2 would suffice, no? The website still shows that there are advantages of 3 units instead of 2 however we all know about Tesla and website updates. I don't have anything exotic in my home, well pump, electric stove, dryer, and I'll be changing my oil heat to Mitsubishi heat pump units as I'm assuming the Tesla HVAC isn't around the corner, and 2 Tesla HPWC [though I'm certainly not looking to charge both my cars at full power during a blackout. lol]

Oh and anyone have thoughts as to how my old system will be integrated into the new system, if at all? I'm currently using the SolarEdge inverter. I'd prefer to not have half my solar system shut down during a blackout.

Thank you!

I'm considering adding 12.24kW + Powerwalls. I had intended to get 3 Powerwalls as, at least on the website, it made it appear that I could run everything I needed. Since the + is 50% [?] more power I suppose 2 would suffice, no? The website still shows that there are advantages of 3 units instead of 2 however we all know about Tesla and website updates. I don't have anything exotic in my home, well pump, electric stove, dryer, and I'll be changing my oil heat to Mitsubishi heat pump units as I'm assuming the Tesla HVAC isn't around the corner, and 2 Tesla HPWC [though I'm certainly not looking to charge both my cars at full power during a blackout. lol]

Oh and anyone have thoughts as to how my old system will be integrated into the new system, if at all? I'm currently using the SolarEdge inverter. I'd prefer to not have half my solar system shut down during a blackout.

Thank you!
There are 2 things to really look at when looking at battery storage, output (Peak kW) and storage (kWh).

I know at my house I peak with normal usage around 5 kW and that in a 24 hour period without solar generation I use 20kWH in the winter and 40 kWh in the summer. I went with 2 batteries as that exceeds my demand by allowing ~15 kW peak demand and provides ~26 kWh without solar generation to offset daily. Also, I wouldnt have gone with batteries at all if PG&E didnt kill power a few times a year to my house for PSPS and other events. You should identify your usage patterns to determine the correct size system for you.

Thank you!
Have the exact same question. And also have an existing sunPower system. I have a request in with Tesla to ensure that the existing system can still feed into the batteries and be truly 'connected'.

I have two large a/c units, so according the website, would not be supported with only 2 x powerwall. But now with powerwall+, two batteries should be plenty. Yes the total capacity is limited, but I only really want the ability to run 1 or both for a short period of time if needed (grid down, solar producing?).

Reactions: SmartElectric
I called my "never answers the phone" representative, and stayed on the line until someone DID answer, then I asked for the construction plans to be emailed to me, which I received within 5 minutes. It's just that simple, really.

I called my "never answers the phone" representative, and stayed on the line until someone DID answer, then I asked for the construction plans to be emailed to me, which I received within 5 minutes. It's just that simple, really.
What Tesla phone number are you calling? Every number I have tried routes the the call based on my phone number to my Project Advisor which he never answers but the call then goes to his voice mail and I have no option to wait for someone to answer the phone. I have in the past been able to wait for a person and have good success talking to another Project Advisor. Any advise on how I can speak with a real person? Thanks.

Jay

What Tesla phone number are you calling? Every number I have tried routes the the call based on my phone number to my Project Advisor which he never answers but the call then goes to his voice mail and I have no option to wait for someone to answer the phone. I have in the past been able to wait for a person and have good success talking to another Project Advisor. Any advise on how I can speak with a real person? Thanks.

Jay
When you get your advisor’s voicemail, press 0. It should route you to any available advisor.

21.20.2-RC4 firmware update appears to have reduced my solar by now allowing the follower PW+ to send power. Confirmed both Powerwalls in the app are reporting the same firmware version.

IMG_4987.PNG