Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Energy / Auto Customer Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Vines, if you'd like, we can chat privately as well. Not sure how to do it in the forums but can work on the medium you prefer.
The issue looks like they cannot get conduit to the main panel, since it would need to cross the PGE no-go zone.

If possible, they can route the conduit to the roof, then come down from the roof with RMC if the RMC stays at least 6' above the gas meter vent.

Alternatively, they could pipe the subfeed along the interior wall, or open the sheetrock and run the wire through the structure. It also may be possible to go through the attic.

Reactions: holeydonut
@Vines, if you'd like, we can chat privately as well. Not sure how to do it in the forums but can work on the medium you prefer.
Once you have like 10 posts you can PM. I have no need for a private discussion around this issue, but if you do let me know.

My time here is a hobby and I solve these issues all day professionally. I prefer to solve the issues publically, so others can learn here.

Reactions: BGbreeder
Totally understand. That's what the crew told me. They said they figured out a solution to run the wires from the attic and through the walls and will come out to finish it. But so far dead silence and I cannot reach anyone form Tesla. The only thing I have gotten so far is a canned email response saying they are looking into a solution.

Totally understand. That's what the crew told me. They said they figured out a solution to run the wires from the attic and through the walls and will come out to finish it. But so far dead silence and I cannot reach anyone form Tesla. The only thing I have gotten so far is a canned email response saying they are looking into a solution.
This is what you get from the low cost leader.

Call every day is all you can do.

Once you have like 10 posts you can PM. I have no need for a private discussion around this issue, but if you do let me know.

My time here is a hobby and I solve these issues all day professionally. I prefer to solve the issues publically, so others can learn here.

I think one of the problems encounta is running into is the notion that conduit cannot be added in the 36 inch no-go zone. So even if the panel itself is grandfathered into the like-for-like stuff, he can't get anything new near that old MSP. What's on the other side of the wall in your picture? Is that a habitable/finished room or just the interior of your garage?

I had that stupid 36" issue with PG&E, but luckily the other side of the wall to my MSP is just my garage. So they could put a big ol' gutterbox there and route all the new wires/conduit in the garage. I was told had they been unable to put in that gutter, PG&E would have denied the wires going along the walls between the exterior and interior sheetrock.

I think one of the problems encounta is running into is the notion that conduit cannot be added in the 36 inch no-go zone. So even if the panel itself is grandfathered into the like-for-like stuff, he can't get anything new near that old MSP. What's on the other side of the wall in your picture? Is that a habitable/finished room or just the interior of your garage?

I had that stupid 36" issue with PG&E, but luckily the other side of the wall to my MSP is just my garage. So they could put a big ol' gutterbox there and route all the new wires/conduit in the garage. I was told had they been unable to put in that gutter, PG&E would have denied the wires going along the walls between the exterior and interior sheetrock.
The whole issue of wires not being allowed in the PGE no-go zone needs to be evaluated before the sale, during the design phase IMO. In some cases with the MSP on a kitchen wall or similar, and the Gas meter right below the service there really is no good solution besides going through the structure, inside the walls.

This is also somewhat costly depending on exterior/interior finishes, and very difficult/impossible with large 200A wire. In some cases, we were able to go to the roof, cross the gas meter and then go down the wall back to the service

The whole issue of wires not being allowed in the PGE no-go zone needs to be evaluated before the sale, during the design phase IMO. In some cases with the MSP on a kitchen wall or similar, and the Gas meter right below the service there really is no good solution besides going through the structure, inside the walls.

This is also somewhat costly depending on exterior/interior finishes, and very difficult/impossible with large 200A wire. In some cases, we were able to go to the roof, cross the gas meter and then go down the wall back to the service

But wouldn't PG&E claim that even if you took the round-about route ... that the MSP is in the 36" zone. So that new 200A wire you added enters the 36" zone even if it snakes around and through the walls and stuff? They seem to think that 36" zone includes the exterior surface of the wall facing the gas riser as well as the actual wall itself. The only thing they seemed to be ok with is if the new wire was enclosed in conduit/gutter that was surface mounted to the interior facing wall.

It makes no sense to me why more people on TMC didn't encounter this BS hah.

Long story short, I just had my solar project done with Tesla. Out of the total 15 panels, 12 panels are installed in the shade. My project manager on the account is never reachable. Every time I call in, got to repeat the same sad story to a new random agent. Then no updates at all.

I have raised the concern during the design, and prior to the installation when the on-site assessment. My ranch style house, the part of roof the tesla designed for the 12 panel installation will be under the shadow of the next door neighbor's 2nd story. I was told no worry Tesla will take care of it. Unfortunately, they just went ahead to install under the shadow. Now, the 12 panels are installed in the shadow from morning all the way to 4:00pm. Pretty much the whole day.

I have reported the issue immediately on the installation day, then ever since then for a month now I have to call in and end up with repeating the same issue to a random agent and of course, no updates for me. I am wondering if there is a way I can escalate the issue. Greatly appreciate your inputs!

Long story short, I just had my solar project done with Tesla. Out of the total 15 panels, 12 panels are installed in the shade. My project manager on the account is never reachable. Every time I call in, got to repeat the same sad story to a new random agent. Then no updates at all.

I have raised the concern during the design, and prior to the installation when the on-site assessment. My ranch style house, the part of roof the tesla designed for the 12 panel installation will be under the shadow of the next door neighbor's 2nd story. I was told no worry Tesla will take care of it. Unfortunately, they just went ahead to install under the shadow. Now, the 12 panels are installed in the shadow from morning all the way to 4:00pm. Pretty much the whole day.

I have reported the issue immediately on the installation day, then ever since then for a month now I have to call in and end up with repeating the same issue to a random agent and of course, no updates for me. I am wondering if there is a way I can escalate the issue. Greatly appreciate your inputs!

Sorry to hear about the problems you had during your design and install. I can't really offer any advice on how to proceed at this point with the panels already on your roof. Is the shading primarily in the winter or all seasons? Do you have any documentation regarding your request for a design change or was it all verbal? What did they provide as an estimated annual production? What directions and elevations are the 12 and 3 panels facing? Do you have any numbers on what your system is currently producing on a cloudless day?

Not helpful for you, but for others going through the process with Tesla I would advise:

If you are not happy with Tesla's initial layout do not accept it in your account. Take a screenshot and mark it up as to exactly where you want the panels installed on the roof. Email this to Tesla and follow up with a phone call the next day to let them know you sent a request for a design update via email, make sure they locate it, and then have them forward it to the design team. If you don't hear back follow up via phone every few days. You will never talk to your designated project advisor and will be connected to someone else. Keep trying as some are more helpful/knowledgeable than others.

Don't expect the on site assessor to provide any other information back to Tesla other than what they are there to do which is to measure, document location and condition of relevant items, etc.

Request the full design package from Tesla so you know exactly what they are going to install and how they are going to wire it.

Don't expect design changes to be made on the day of installation.

On installation day go over the design with the installers and understand what exactly they are installing and where. If there is something that comes up that cannot be worked out call off the installation. Once the system is on your house you have a lot less leverage.

Unfortunately, they way Tesla works requires you to be very proactive and not accept a blanket "We'll make it work" without documentation on the how.

Reactions: KHYE and MP3Mike
I filed a case around thanksgiving, and now the case is still pending, when I called in, everytime, I got a longer ETA, it went from 48 to 72 hours to 1 week, then to up to 14 business days, no update, is this the common customer support experience for Tesla Energy support? I am really frustrated

I filed a case around thanksgiving, and now the case is still pending, when I called in, everytime, I got a longer ETA, it went from 48 to 72 hours to 1 week, then to up to 14 business days, no update, is this the common customer support experience for Tesla Energy support? I am really frustrated

Tesla support is often hit or miss. It is evident based on posting here on TMC that they will often push their service timelines up to the 30 day limit required by California law.

I had my solar system installed last December and was very very happy with it. The install was great and the installers were very professional. See this thread for extensive pics and a discussion.

On October 9, the inverter went out. I went through all of the troubleshooting and couldn't get it working. After contacting Tesla numerous times they finally sent a tech out about 2 weeks later. The tech was there for a few minutes and told me that the inverter is out and it needs to be replaced.

I have since received no proactive information from Tesla. I've called numerous times and they just tell me the inverter is on backorder and there's nothing they can do. I've asked to have my case elevated numerous times and the reps tell me I'll get a call from a supervisor. That hasn't happened.

Meanwhile, I'm making payments every single month but not getting power. Moreover, my electric company here in AZ shafts you when you sign up for solar by giving you really bad and longer high priced hours. Therefore my electric bills are higher than they would be were I not to be on a solar plan and I'm paying for an inoperable system.

Some of the Tesla call center representatives tell me that Tesla will reimburse me for the payments while the system is out, other reps very tersely just give a canned statement that I'm bound to the financing agreement and must pay.

At this point I'm going to contact the Arizona Attorney General Consumer Protection Division and see if they can get involved. I'm also looking into seeing if there's any recourse through the Arizona Registrar of Contractors as this is related to licensed contracting work. I'm an attorney but unfortunately I do not have experience in consumer law. Does anyone else have suggestions on how to get this resolved? I'm so fed up with this right now that I'd be happy to have them just come and take the system off.

It pains me to say this as I'm an advocate of solar power and a Tesla shareholder, but if you are looking at solar, you may want to seriously consider going with anyone other than Tesla.

Last edited:
I don't think you would be under contractor rules anymore, they fulfilled that portion of the deal. (Unless your contract had an uptime/production guarantee, which I don't think Tesla has been doing in a long time.) You are now in warranty land and Solar Edge tends to be very slow in sending out replacements.

Your best bet would be to call SolarEdge and see if Tesla has filed an RMA for your inverter, and find out where in the process it is. If Tesla hasn't they might let you get the RMA started, and then you would just have to get Tesla to install it once the replacement arrives.

Reactions: sunwarriors
Thanks, that's helpful. I'm talking to Tesla now. I got an RMA number but they still have no status.

I told them that I wanted a new inverter of a different brand and that I'm filing a complaint with the AG's office, and that I'm an attorney.

I'm sure all of this will continue to get ignored.

I had my solar system installed last December and was very very happy with it. The install was great and the installers were very professional. See this thread for extensive pics and a discussion.

On October 9, the inverter went out. I went through all of the troubleshooting and couldn't get it working. After contacting Tesla numerous times they finally sent a tech out about 2 weeks later. The tech was there for a few minutes and told me that the inverter is out and it needs to be replaced.

I have since received no proactive information from Tesla. I've called numerous times and they just tell me the inverter is on backorder and there's nothing they can do. I've asked to have my case elevated numerous times and the reps tell me I'll get a call from a supervisor. That hasn't happened.

Meanwhile, I'm making payments every single month but not getting power. Moreover, my electric company here in AZ shafts you when you sign up for solar by giving you really bad and longer high priced hours. Therefore my electric bills are higher than they would be were I not to be on a solar plan and I'm paying for an inoperable system.

Some of the Tesla call center representatives tell me that Tesla will reimburse me for the payments while the system is out, other reps very tersely just give a canned statement that I'm bound to the financing agreement and must pay.

At this point I'm going to contact the Arizona Attorney General Consumer Protection Division and see if they can get involved. I'm also looking into seeing if there's any recourse through the Arizona Registrar of Contractors as this is related to licensed contracting work. I'm an attorney but unfortunately I do not have experience in consumer law. Does anyone else have suggestions on how to get this resolved? I'm so fed up with this right now that I'd be happy to have them just come and take the system off.

It pains me to say this as I'm an advocate of solar power and a Tesla shareholder, but if you are looking at solar, you may want to seriously consider going with anyone other than Tesla.

As a general rule...

1) If you leased the system under common PPA or other "guaranteed production" type of agreement, then Tesla will reimburse you for this lost production. In this scenario your monthly payment is essentially an agreement to buy solar from Tesla. In this case, you should consider that your rooftop solar isn't owned by you, and Tesla was supposed to be giving you a fixed monthly payment for a certain amount of electricity per year. But every PPA is different and you'll need to see what exactly you're on the hook for.

2) If you borrowed/loan from the system (whether the loan is a unsecured type of loan, HELOC, or a PACE loan); you own the system. There likely is no production guarantee, and you would be responsible to keep paying the loan regardless if your solar system was working or not.

3) If you paid in cash then... there's definitely no ambiguity who owns what in this case.

There are some states (like California) where the duty to repair equipment is 30 days. Merchants who are licensed to sell things in your state (like solar, cars, pool pumps, etc) would need to adhere to provide warranty work within 30 days. If there is a hang up that prevents repair from happening on time, there is a legal avenue you could try to pursue. Probably not something you can resolve with strangers on TMC, but if you can quantify damages because of Tesla's inability to perform per Code or Contract, you could file a claim for those damages.

I know there are folks here who are big fans of a central inverter and how much $$ you save (I didn't see much/any in my recent experience), but I've seen enough posts here that 1 broken inverter and you're out for many months.

There are issues too with micro-inverters I'm sure, but the complaints seem to be a lot lower from what I see.

That doesn't help your case, but as suggested, try to get the unit direct and have Tesla come out and install it.

I talked to an elevated representative yesterday. They seemed to have taken me seriously. She said she's reaching out to local warehouses to see if she can get a new inverter of a different brand. I'm not holding my breath but at least it seems to be making progress.

Reactions: holeydonut
I ordered two powerwalls in February 2021; permit was applied for in June 2021. Since then I have been unable to contact cusomer service in order to assess progress (or lack of same).

Up until June 2021 I had, on my account web page, the name and extension # of an advisor (who never answered her phone and never responded to my voicemails). Since then her name and extension # have been removed and so all that is left is the general #. When I call that # it asks that I input the extension # in order to speak with someone; not possible.

I have then used the myproject at Tesla email address, but have waited for weeks to receive a general, not personal, response. Frustration abounds.

I presume many of you have had this same experience. Has anyone found a workaround?