Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Energy / Auto Customer Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Worst department is tesla solar. I bought tesla solar penals and spent Close to $40,000. Initially they install the panel and asked me to make the payment so I made the full payment. After that they took so long to get the approval from southern California Edison. They took a long time to submit the paperwork. They were just not paying any attention because they already got money.
After my panel was installed in approximately 6 to 8 months my inverter stopped working. They send Tesla tech to check the inverter after four days. Tech checked everything and mention that I need new inverter. They called Solar Edge to ask for replacement in order. I kept calling Solar Edge they say there is a processing time of 10 business days and they keep telling me that they do not have the inverter in stock.
It was impossible to get in touch with Tesla and I was not able to set up any chat sessions after that. I had to leave my information so Tesla could call me back regarding the progress.
This is the worst customer care. Please stay away from Tesla.

Reactions: Pearl1!
Worst department is tesla solar. I bought tesla solar penals and spent Close to $40,000. Initially they install the panel and asked me to make the payment so I made the full payment. After that they took so long to get the approval from southern California Edison. They took a long time to submit the paperwork. They were just not paying any attention because they already got money.
After my panel was installed in approximately 6 to 8 months my inverter stopped working. They send Tesla tech to check the inverter after four days. Tech checked everything and mention that I need new inverter. They called Solar Edge to ask for replacement in order. I kept calling Solar Edge they say there is a processing time of 10 business days and they keep telling me that they do not have the inverter in stock.
It was impossible to get in touch with Tesla and I was not able to set up any chat sessions after that. I had to leave my information so Tesla could call me back regarding the progress.
This is the worst customer care. Please stay away from Tesla.

What day did the event "Tech checked everything and mention that I need new inverter" occur? Like are they just re-setting the 10 business days clock every week and you've been waiting months?

Tesla customer service is non-existent. Terrible experience from the start. I should of listen to my gut and NOT used them. I ordered the panels July 2020. They installed the equipment in December 2020. They installed the Powerwalls on the floor when I asked them to wall mount it. They didn't fix it. They just ignored my calls and emails. Finally had it online in March 2021. Now my inverter died 5 days ago. They sent a Tech to come and troubleshoot, and guess what? The inverter is dead and needs to be replaced. The kicker is that it will take 5-7 business days to get the equipment in and then they need to schedule another tech to install. So I will be out of Solar Generation for 3 weeks at a minimum while this is the season for the highest solar bills of the year here in AZ. We are already in the triple digits. I will be wasting around $300 this month on energy costs that I shouldn't be paying. And Tesla will not take ownership that it is their fault for installing defective equipment. Tesla is the WORST!! I'm more than PISSED. This is the worst experience with any company ever. After spending close to $40,000 and they treat you like an annoyance.
A mere three weeks? Count yourself lucky! I'm waiting more than a month for onsite maintenance for failed energy meters. Yes, Tesla's post-sales support is abysmal. The experience of dealing with Tesla's support representatives could make a spy talk. You are truly better off using the app, because there is literally nothing that their support reps are able or willing to do to expedite your support experience.

And as I have learned the hard way after talking to two attorneys, getting a company to honor its warranty in a reasonable period of time is very hard (unless you live in California, where there is apparently a statutory 30-day requirement to complete warranty repairs). You have to suffer some kind of quantifiable monetary damage first. And it's hard to put a price tag on being on hold for 30 minutes, or waiting 30 days for onsite support. And even if you can quantify those damages - as you seem to have done, to the tune of $300 a month - that amount of money will likely be dwarfed by your attorneys' fees (unless you're in a group legal plan - best benefit I've ever paid for next to health insurance).

That said, I will say (and perhaps counter to your experience) that the actual installation process in mid-2020, even during the heights of COVID mania, was flawless. Very similarly to your own experience, I was asked whether I wanted the PWs wall-mounted or floor mounted, and the techs even gave me an hour to think about it while they did other things. My garage tends to leak in heavy rains, so I figured I'd rather have the PWs off the ground, so I asked them to wall-mount them. And they did!)

Bottom line - when it works, it works wonderfully. When it doesn't, and you need support, well - that's why bourbon exists. Bottom's up!

Fruitcake

Your experience is not limited to Tesla energy. The company simply has no customer service. It’s basically a “take the money and run” operation.

I cancelled my solar installation and 2 vehicle reservations due to their customer service practices.
Same here. Was seriously considering adding a Tesla vehicle to the family stable with my daughter becoming of driving age. Now? Another Subaru suits me just fine...

Fruitcake

The sad thing is that Tesla is a highly innovative company. Awful customer service ruins it. My perception before doing solar panels was that Tesla was an incredible company. Not so much anymore.

Charge a few grand more and pick up the phone.
Charge a few grand more and put butts in vans! 30+ day waits for something integrated to your home electric systems is just inexcusable.

Fruitcake

It looks like Tesla Energy is not much more than a rebranding of SolarCity which had lots of customer complaints. However, I doubt such story would get media coverage if Tesla and Musk were not involved as SolarCity had many similar customer complaints.
This is true and it shows. Oh, you want Solar support? You have to call this number and select this option. You want Powerwall support? Oh, you have to call thIs DIFFERENT number and select this DIFFERENT option. PW support is (ostensibly) 24/7 whereas solar support is not. It's multiple-personality-disordered, despite the fact that they've had several years now to integrate their operations and support.

Fruitcake

This morning I noticed a leak in the roof over the garage. There is no ceiling there, so I could see the water dripping off the beam. I called Tesla. Angel & George came this evening and fixed the issue ahead of the predicted heavy rains on Sunday.

I wanted to post this because we hear about all the bad experiences and rarely the good ones of which there are likely more than bad.

The only bad thing I experienced was lack of communication around scheduling from support. When it comes down to it, though, Tesla fixed a critical roofing issue the same day and no damage was sustained.

Thanks Angel, George, and Tesla!

It looks like Tesla Energy is not much more than a rebranding of SolarCity which had lots of customer complaints. However, I doubt such story would get media coverage if Tesla and Musk were not involved as SolarCity had many similar customer complaints.
I had started another thread on this topic but it was recently closed:

Tesla's post-sales customer support is abysmal. Everything from calling for support and being placed on infinite hold, to troglodyte support representatives firmly sticking to a script, to waiting forever (more than a month) for needed onsite support. Abysmal.

Your options:

1. Start drinking heavily.
2. Do your best to tell your family, friends, and acquaintances to NEVER, EVER purchase a Tesla product.
3. Keep drinking some more. It's not called a three-martini lunch for nothing.
4. Engage an attorney to see what options you have. Options vary from state to state. So do the particulars of your installation, exactly what is wrong that requires service, exactly how much it cost and/or how many payments you have remaining, etc.
5. (Echoes of Finding Nemo) Just keep drinking... just keep drinking.....
6. Other steps that I have yet to reach, but am considering
6a. Filing a complaint against their state licensure.
6b. Contacting local news reporters that specialize in consumer protection and pitch your story. Like this one:

7. Open another bottle. They make more all the time.
8. Talk to area solar/energy installers about the amount of retrofit/replacement it would take to remove all proprietary Tesla gear from your home. This is among the more heinously expensive options, but the only realistic one that totally frees you from the abysmal service.
9 "I get no kick from champagne. Mere alcohol doesn't thrill me at all. So, tell me why should it be true, that Tesla support is cuckoo?"

Fruitcake

I had started another thread on this topic but it was recently closed:

Tesla's post-sales customer support is abysmal. Everything from calling for support and being placed on infinite hold, to troglodyte support representatives firmly sticking to a script, to waiting forever (more than a month) for needed onsite support. Abysmal.

Your options:

1. Start drinking heavily.
2. Do your best to tell your family, friends, and acquaintances to NEVER, EVER purchase a Tesla product.
3. Keep drinking some more. It's not called a three-martini lunch for nothing.
4. Engage an attorney to see what options you have. Options vary from state to state. So do the particulars of your installation, exactly what is wrong that requires service, exactly how much it cost and/or how many payments you have remaining, etc.
5. (Echoes of Finding Nemo) Just keep drinking... just keep drinking.....
6. Other steps that I have yet to reach, but am considering
6a. Filing a complaint against their state licensure.
6b. Contacting local news reporters that specialize in consumer protection and pitch your story. Like this one:

7. Open another bottle. They make more all the time.
8. Talk to area solar/energy installers about the amount of retrofit/replacement it would take to remove all proprietary Tesla gear from your home. This is among the more heinously expensive options, but the only realistic one that totally frees you from the abysmal service.
9 "I get no kick from champagne. Mere alcohol doesn't thrill me at all. So, tell me why should it be true, that Tesla support is cuckoo?"

Fruitcake

Option 1 is best ;)

Sadly, I am on the same boat. Any drink recommendations?

I got a Tesla solar roof and 3 powerwalls about 5 months ago and I am still not able to control or monitor my system. I am not planning on getting a Tesla vehicle anytime soon. This feels like dealing with a sleazy car dealer, only that all the bad customer experience happens after you are "trapped".

Sadly, I am on the same boat. Any drink recommendations?

I got a Tesla solar roof and 3 powerwalls about 5 months ago and I am still not able to control or monitor my system. I am not planning on getting a Tesla vehicle anytime soon. This feels like dealing with a sleazy car dealer, only that all the bad customer experience happens after you are "trapped".
I'm a gin person myself. A longtime Hendricks person, but favoring Plymouth lately.

What is wrong with your installation? What do you see when you log into the Tesla app?

Fruitcake

I see exactly this and nothing else:

Screenshot_20211020-184717_Tesla.jpg

Issue #2, and to make matters worse, the passwords and serial numbers in the stickers for the Powerwalls and Gateway have the incorrect information, so I am not able to log in to the web interface as a customer due to lack of password.

Issue #3 is that one of the Powerwalls does not appear to be charging past 16%. I started a thread on this issue so I don't hijack this one: Powerwall appears to not be charging

I see exactly this and nothing else:

View attachment 725064

Issue #2, and to make matters worse, the passwords and serial numbers in the stickers for the Powerwalls and Gateway have the incorrect information, so I am not able to log in to the web interface as a customer due to lack of password.

Issue #3 is that one of the Powerwalls does not appear to be charging past 16%. I started a thread on this issue so I don't hijack this one: Powerwall appears to not be charging
Can you login as installer? It should just require toggling if the switch to get in. Once you’re in as installer you can reset the customer password.

Yes, I log in as installer. That is how I know one of the Powerwalls is not charging past 16%.
I saw the "reset password" button but have been hesitant to use it because my app reflects a completely different serial number from any of my equipment.
Could you walk me through what to expect when resetting the password that way?

Edit: if that allows me customer access via the web page but still not the app, that would be an improvement, so I would take that.

Edit #2: I just saw that option requires the "Gateway Sticker Password". My sticker's password is mislabeled and won't work.

Yes, I log in as installer. That is how I know one of the Powerwalls is not charging past 16%.
I saw the "reset password" button but have been hesitant to use it because my app reflects a completely different serial number from any of my equipment.
Could you walk me through what to expect when resetting the password that way?

Edit: if that allows me customer access via the web page but still not the app, that would be an improvement, so I would take that.

Edit #2: I just saw that option requires the "Gateway Sticker Password". My sticker's password is mislabeled and won't work.
How are you able to login to the TEG SSID or wonder how the installer did it if the password is wrong? Maybe they got the correct one from HQ and didn’t share it with you.

I am not able to log in using the TEG SSID. I log in via my own local network using a laptop and a web browser - not sure if that is supposed to work that way, but it does.
Here's the background:

The TEG SSID in the sticker is incorrect as is the password. The SSID that the system is broadcasting does not allow me to log in because I don't have the correct password. I also tried login in by scanning the QR code on the gateway with similar results.

FWIW, the SSID being broadcast matches the "Controller" serial number from the "System" page of the installer interface.

The last Tesla tech who came last week to look at the system did not seem very savvy about the app or anything related to it (not that I expected that). He did ask me for my WiFi password but I believe he only logged in as installer. Before he left he said something to the effect that the GW is not the one communicating with Tesla, that it was the Powerwall+ and that is where I would find the password. He also said that Tesla would need to "re-register" me. So I called Tesla and got put in their Tier 2 queue.

After that Tech left, I took the side black plastic cover off one of the Powerwalls and did not see any stickers with password information, only serial numbers and none of them matched what I had in my app or the SSID being broadcast. The other 2 powerwalls were less accessible at the time so I put off my search.

Sniffing around my network later that night, I found the IP address assigned to whatever device is communicating with Tesla and that is how I log in as installer.

I have not found a good explanation regarding where to look for a password sticker in a Powerwall+ and I really don't want to void any warranties. Could someone point me in the right direction?

I am not able to log in using the TEG SSID. I log in via my own local network using a laptop and a web browser - not sure if that is supposed to work that way, but it does.
Here's the background:

The TEG SSID in the sticker is incorrect as is the password. The SSID that the system is broadcasting does not allow me to log in because I don't have the correct password. I also tried login in by scanning the QR code on the gateway with similar results.

FWIW, the SSID being broadcast matches the "Controller" serial number from the "System" page of the installer interface.

The last Tesla tech who came last week to look at the system did not seem very savvy about the app or anything related to it (not that I expected that). He did ask me for my WiFi password but I believe he only logged in as installer. Before he left he said something to the effect that the GW is not the one communicating with Tesla, that it was the Powerwall+ and that is where I would find the password. He also said that Tesla would need to "re-register" me. So I called Tesla and got put in their Tier 2 queue.

After that Tech left, I took the side black plastic cover off one of the Powerwalls and did not see any stickers with password information, only serial numbers and none of them matched what I had in my app or the SSID being broadcast. The other 2 powerwalls were less accessible at the time so I put off my search.

Sniffing around my network later that night, I found the IP address assigned to whatever device is communicating with Tesla and that is how I log in as installer.

I have not found a good explanation regarding where to look for a password sticker in a Powerwall+ and I really don't want to void any warranties. Could someone point me in the right direction?
On my PW+ the password is under the inverter cover, the smaller box on top of the PW+. If you’re saying the password is wrong there, then the installer must have gotten the right password somehow otherwise they wouldn’t have been able to connect to it and connect it to your wifi.