Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Energy / Auto Customer Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

My system doesnt seem to be able to handle peak energy input (inverter or gateway issue?). Anyone seen anything like this before? Totally sunny day.
IMG_9895.PNG

Tesla support has been nothing but stonewalling and argumentative despite admitting it doesnt look right.

My system too has this issue, among others like bad installation, from day one, and in true Tesla style, cannot get any help. Biggest mistake I made getting a PV system from these jokers. Never Tesla ever.
Ya, starting to have similar regrets in regards to doing business with Tesla solar. Did you just give up on trying to get the inverter fixed? Purse legal option/arbitration?

If the thread goes down that road, I will merge it into the existing customer service thread since that is the discussion that will be going on. if you want it to stay separate, I would suggest focusing on what may be going on with your system instead of the customer service side of the discussion.

Reactions: jhn_ and h2ofun
Timeline of event (location: Bay Area)

Solar application with Tesla completed on 8/22/2022.
Installation on 1/3/2023
Inspection completed on 1/19/2023
Interconnect email received from PG&E on 1/24/2023 and signed immediately

1 month into it, I started worried about it and called Tesla - Tesla mentioned that PGE is heaving a huge backlog but they are trying to get update weekly.
2 months into it, same thing, in multiple calls Tesla confirmed that I'm secured with NEM 2.0
3 months later, nothing happened still. I got worried and called PG&E today, the service advisor told me that my project showed as "CANCELLED" due to no information submitted from the contractor after the initial application. This also means that I completely lost the window to lock in on NEM 2.0. PGE said they can do a 3 way call with me and Tesla to confirm all they saw in the system.

Scheduled a call with Tesla for next Monday, want to take some advise and see how I should approach this, clearly Tesla dropped the ball from the beginning, I'm beyond angry at the moment...

If you’re concerned about NM3.0, my understanding from some friends current in this process is that as long as the INITIAL plan paperwork is in and approved, not even installed, you’re in for the current (prior actually at this point) favorable net metering payment structure.

overall, your timing seems actually BETTER than many I have heard/seen.

You call Tesla energy support (the phone number) and describe the issue. 877-961-7652. There is no avenue beside that, or the app, and in the case of Tesla energy support, its still possible to get human beings on the phone, so that is what you should do.

Long story short: Had solar, added a 3 battery PowerWall 1/20. It took over 2 years to get the PTO. Qualified for SGIP based on PSPS and electric well. We've signed the paperwork multiple times with Tesla. We finally are complete, and PG&E kicked it back because Tesla hasn't applied for an extension, and reported us as having 2, not 3 batteries. PG&E gave 30 days for Tesla to fix this paperwork, but I haven't been able to get any response from them (the 2 chats don't seem to have helped).

Who can I contact to get some action?

Long story short: Had solar, added a 3 battery PowerWall 1/20. It took over 2 years to get the PTO. Qualified for SGIP based on PSPS and electric well. We've signed the paperwork multiple times with Tesla. We finally are complete, and PG&E kicked it back because Tesla hasn't applied for an extension, and reported us as having 2, not 3 batteries. PG&E gave 30 days for Tesla to fix this paperwork, but I haven't been able to get any response from them (the 2 chats don't seem to have helped).

Who can I contact to get some action?

Unless you were doing SGIP equity and resilliency, Tesla did submit SGIP for 3 powerwall installs. If its not equity and resiliency there is zero (none, zip, nada, any other word for "no" you want to insert) chance you will get SGIP on a tesla install. If it is actually equity and resiliency, tben you need to go keep contacting whomever you were working with, and put forth your pre approved application.

We have no other contacts with tesla energy here to help with this, and there is no way to move it along that we are aware of.

I sent this email to the General Manager of Tesla-Paramus NJ, the Operations Advisor-Paramus NJ and the Service Department in Peabody, MA. I did extensive research before buying this car and did so with some reservations. I post this so that anyone considering buying one does so with their eyes open:

I purchased a car from you that was delivered on Thursday the 18th at your location in Paramus. We got up at 4:30 in the morning, drove an hour to the Portland, ME airport, flew to Newark, took an Uber to Paramus and arrived promptly for our 10:00 AM delivery appointment.

After driving it home (400 miles), arriving home at 9:00 PM and plugging in the charger; the next morning my phone would not communicate with the car nor would it open the car. I called roadside and they were able to retrieve the card keys from the glovebox. The car appeared to work fine. When I went out later to use the car, a warning appeared on the screen that I should pull over safely and that the car was shutting down due to battery issues. I called roadside and spoke with “Joey”. He dispatched a tow truck to haul the car to the nearest Service Center which is in Peabody, MA. Just speculation, but Joey suspects that the trouble rests with the new Lithium Ion 12v battery. The car shows a charge of 222 miles, but would not charge to the full 80% charge despite two attempts to do so.

We received NO assistance when we picked up the car. The representative at the desk was most concerned with the remaining money due on the account and said “there are videos you can watch in the car”. I said I wanted to see the car before funds changed hands. The exterior of the car appeared in perfect condition, but they refused to allow me to see the interior of the car until I gave them the check (??????). I handed over the check and accepted delivery and asked for help getting set up which was refused. I might add that this is the first car I have never driven before purchasing it.

“Joey” assured me that this was a high priority situation and that it would get your attention. He also assured me that a loaner car would be available, but that I had to get it out of Paramus due to cost center concerns (my words, not his, but that was the gist). I have called you 10 times over the past 24 hours and have received no response from you. I have left 4 messages with your service department asking that you call. On three of the Service Advisor calls, they said that they would send you a message asking that you call me.

I have been completely ignored and the amount of frustration I am experiencing is through the roof. I contacted CARMAX to see about selling the car and they want to see it first. They are suspicious given the very low miles on the car and won’t give me a price. I don’t see that as a viable alternative at this point and I am stuck with this car unless I can get relief under the Maine Lemon Law.

I have copied Peabody so that they also have a record of this. I am considering renting a car to be in Peabody on Monday morning (2 hr and 15 min drive) as there is no way to speak with anyone and there is no accountability at Tesla for anyone or anything. All calls get routed to people with no experience and no authority in order to shield those who have the ability to make any decisions and the authority to take corrective action to make this right.

I should also note that when the car was towed, it was a flat bed that raised it up into tree branches. There likely are scratches on the roof. I would appreciate it if Peabody could closely examine the roof for any evidence of this.

As this may only be a 12v battery issue, I was told that Tesla Rangers do not come this far. That would have been my preference and would have avoided the towing experience.

I was uncertain that I had actually made the appointment after hanging up with “Joey." When I went to do so, there was a possibility for a Ranger to come here, but it would have been on June 7th and I couldn’t afford to be without the car that long. So the information he gave me was incorrect.

I finally received a response from Dawn-Marie at your office. She is working on getting me a loaner from Peabody, MA with an Uber to get me down there. I asked if they could bring me a car, but she indicated that this would likely not be possible. VERY inconvenient.

This car has 400 miles on it…just a trip from New Jersey to Maine. This is a $55,000 purchase, not an insignificant amount for us. The fact that the car was in our possession for only one day and is already in the shop and useless doesn’t inspire confidence in the Tesla product. The fact that we are the only ones outraged and being inconvenienced by this is astounding.

I have no experience with other solar providers, but if you are talking about Tesla Energy, I don't think you should cut the cord yet. Reason - Tesla Energy's customer service and response times. They are great as long as everything is going smoothly. When things go wrong, they can be quite atrocious with the delays and inconsistent responses. A typical utility will have service men on call and send them out to fix outages. If there is an outage with your Tesla solar system? You are out of luck. My anecdotal experience - it can take anywhere from 2 weeks to almost 2 months to actually get the Tesla service crew to come out and restore your service. Ridiculous is an understatement!

• Informative
Reactions: cali8484
My PTO was about 2 months ago. From the beginning the inverter had problems, with frequent 30 minute shutdowns, sometimes 4 times a day.

It took about 4 weeks of chats to finally get Tesla to agree that there was problem, and that it was not just shading or clouds. About this time the inverter went down completely, permanently. So my $30,000 purchase is sitting idle.

I finally got them to put in a service request, and my app showed "We will contact you shortly" for a couple of weeks, when I again entered into a chat. Within an hour I had a service appointment just 4 days out. Hallelujah! I was excited.

An hour later I was notified that there had been a mistake and that my appointment was actually scheduled a month out.

Grr! My system has never worked properly, and should have been prioritized. The installation was never completed correctly.

Now today suddenly the appointment disappeared from my app. So another chat session. The agent assured me that I was still scheduled (a month out), but it was removed from the regular schedule and put on "Hold" status. No idea what that means, but it doesn't give me any confidence.

And without it appearing on the app I have no confirmation when or if it will really happen. I'm afraid I will be notified in a couple of weeks that it has been delayed again.

I guess I will need to enter a chat every day or two to confirm the appointment unless it reappears on the app.

They told me that once Tesla Energy has your money, they suddenly lose all interest in supporting you. I can attest to that.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get results with Tesla Energy support? My 1 year old solar+powerwall stopped producing energy 2 months ago. It took 7 weeks to get service and it failed 2 days again after the inverter was replaced. Tesla Energy scheduling now tells me they are unable to schedule a follow up service because they are "under staffed."

Do any of you have any tips on how to escalate this and get results? It really feels like Tesla Energy prioritizes new installs and ignore customers who have already paid in full.

Thanks for any help!

Reactions: morbidz
Does anyone have any tips on how to get results with Tesla Energy support? My 1 year old solar+powerwall stopped producing energy 2 months ago. It took 7 weeks to get service and it failed 2 days again after the inverter was replaced. Tesla Energy scheduling now tells me they are unable to schedule a follow up service because they are "under staffed."

Do any of you have any tips on how to escalate this and get results? It really feels like Tesla Energy prioritizes new installs and ignore customers who have already paid in full.

Thanks for any help!
Well, observationally, Tesla does appear to prioritize installs over service.

My two cents is to keep calling every day or two. Be polite. Ask for an update, and after you get an appointment slot, keeping calling so Tesla knows that you are tracking it. They keep a record of every call, and you want the record to be a good one.

Best of luck, and keep us posted.

BG