Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Vision system for Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Initial reports from 3 & Y owners is not encouraging in rainy conditions. Plus, the use of the wonky auto headlight feature is now mandatory to engage AP or TACC. On a side note, it also appears they have removed the adjustable lumbar support from the passenger seat, at least on the Y.
Where are you see initial reports on the systems function without radar? I didn’t pay much attention to the “wonky headlight feature to engage the AP” but guess I best read up on that too.

Well…unfortunately reading these posts on Reddit makes me lean towards suspending my delivery indefinitely until the system officially reaches the same level when it had radar. Also seems that the phantom breaking blamed on radar may not be accurate. I drive 120+ miles a day on the highway. Aside from the electric side to save on fuel and maintenance costs the active safety features plus auto pilot system were my reason for the intended purchase.

Personally I very much look forward to have the NHTSA and IIHS or similar organizations test Tesla Vision, have it fail forcing Tesla to react quickly. I would much rather they got tested and pass with flying colors functioning even better than before the removal of the radar but I am not hopeful.
Data results will drive my final decision but I will not take delivery without Tesla Vision being fully functional or Radar added back so that previous functions are restored as before.

Last edited:
I have a 2021 that has radar and I have 2021.4.18. Since 2021.4.18 works on cars with no radar, does anyone know if this version shuts off radar (runs on Tesla Vision) if your car DOES have radar? I've only driven mine in good weather so far so I wouldn't be able to tell if it's using radar or not.

Mike

Well…unfortunately reading these posts on Reddit makes me lean towards suspending my delivery indefinitely until the system officially reaches the same level when it had radar.

As am I. Already packing up the accessories I purchased from Tesla and will drop them off at FedEx tomorrow while I'm still in the 30 day return window.

I have a 2021 that has radar and I have 2021.4.18. Since 2021.4.18 works on cars with no radar, does anyone know if this version shuts off radar (runs on Tesla Vision) if your car DOES have radar? I've only driven mine in good weather so far so I wouldn't be able to tell if it's using radar or not.

Mike
Tesla didn't say, but I imagine the answer is no in terms of shutting off the radar for cars equipped. Otherwise NHTSA would drop the ratings for previous years also.

I think at minimum Tesla will wait until NHTSA (and perhaps IIHS also) testing is done with the radar-less version before switching over, and most likely will waiting until full "parity" (meaning limited features returning) before switching over.

Personally I very much look forward to have the NHTSA and IIHS or similar organizations test Tesla Vision, have it fail forcing Tesla to react quickly. I would much rather they got tested and pass with flying colors functioning even better than before the removal of the radar but I am not hopeful.
Data results will drive my final decision but I will not take delivery without Tesla Vision being fully functional or Radar added back so that previous functions are restored as before.

Not what I had hoped for my first post, but sadly I feel the same. I've been following autonomous and electrical vehicles for years, and when Tesla came on the scene and announced plans for their high end sedan and then a mid-range car which became the Model 3 I was very excited. Finally after the dumpster fire that was 2020 was over we had coincidentally saved enough for a good down payment and paid off my wife's car, I ordered a Model 3 in late April. This was after driving a friends 2018 Model 3 several times and talking to another friend with a Model S, a Model 3, and a Cybertruck on order.

I've been driving my wife nuts with comments on this and that about the car and refreshing my account multiple times a day, getting a new electrical panel (which needed replacing anyway) and a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed, collecting accessories, and then the removal of the radar was announced I can't express how disappointed I am. And then then sudden removal of the passenger lumbar controls and the lame excuses.

I haven't cancelled my order but I have put it on hold. If by some miracle they do release a new firmware update in June that restores the missing functionality and it's verified by a third-party then great, I'll remove the hold and get back on the queue. But sadly, I don't really expect this to happen.

Frack.

Well…unfortunately reading these posts on Reddit makes me lean towards suspending my delivery indefinitely until the system officially reaches the same level when it had radar.
Absolutely the right decision. We have no guarantee it will every work right again. Unless you enjoy being part of the beta test experience and can afford to play financially I say wait and see.

There goes my Tesla stock. :( I have no doubt they can make it better than it currently is but I'm not confident it'll ever be as good as radar. I hope they don't find that in the end, they don't have enough processing power to do it even if they are capable of coding it. There is no depth perception with one forward facing camera: I doubt they can combine the multiple cameras since they are all different focal lengths. I really think they would have been better off waiting for parts rather than bandaid it so it runs minus their main distance sensor. I'm in the digital imaging business and I've done some image recognition. It's difficult enough with static images much less moving ones. There are an infinite variety of things that can look like something they are not when combined with background and overlapping objects. What they've already done is impressive but to get it to where it is even as good as radar, they are asking their engineers to solve something new.

They seem to be confident. We'll see.

Mike

Reactions: BitJam
Another dumb, unnecessary move by Tesla. They really make it difficult to support them and I probably wouldn't if it wasn't for the supercharger network. Is it too much to ask tesla to get a new technology to be as good as the competition before releasing it.

I am fine with this when it is as good as the radar is. That would also mean I don't have to use auto high beam because that is beyond useless and a danger to other drivers.

I have a model 3 performance on order and if it turns up with auto pilot and cruise control less useful than on my model X I will reject it.

Reactions: jsmay311
will insurance companies split hairs and 'know' if your model has radar or not?

I'm leaving my firmware back as far as I can, and my car is old enough to have functioning radar.

but if my insurer now defines the model 3 as a lower capability car, do I also 'lose' from this?

will insurance companies split hairs and 'know' if your model has radar or not?

I'm leaving my firmware back as far as I can, and my car is old enough to have functioning radar.

but if my insurer now defines the model 3 as a lower capability car, do I also 'lose' from this?
If we get to the point where we fear Tesla SW updates, which used to be one of the greatest features, we are in real trouble.

Reactions: MikeyC
If we get to the point where we fear Tesla SW updates, which used to be one of the greatest features, we are in real trouble.
no, for some things, the OWNER of the device should have a lot of say in how it gets modified, over time.

on android, for example, you can always refuse updates. on windows, you *used to* be able to (which is why I stopped having any windows beyond win7 at home). on unix, you can always pick and choose which updates you accept.

if you work for a company and your company is medium sized, likely someone already is deciding what updates your company laptops should get, what your infra (routers, etc) should get - and its not just a 'vendor releases, we install' kind of thing. IT guys know this but those outside of IT dont, it seems.

the idea of end users or end admins controlling what gets installed on their site has always been 'a thing'. dont try to gas light that users having say in this is something wrong or new.

the vendor who bundles all things into one single monolithic update is doing it wrong and I think this will be worked out over time (to a bugfix/security stream and an everything-else stream). if they are smart, they are thinking of this or have already thought of it. but end users are not seeing it and I'd like to. I want at least 3 buttons; 1) leave-me-alone 2) take only security/fixes 3) take all bleeding edge

its not too much to ask and its reasonable for the type of device and what's at stake.