Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disney's current position regarding electric chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not rent a vacation home near Disney? They have garages with AC outlets. No worrying about being ICE'ed, etc. A really nice way to spend your Disney vacation, especially if you go with another family and stay together in the same house.

I own a vacation home there and I'm planning on installing a NEMA 14-50 for guests who rent their stay there. I'm hoping to attract Tesla owners with it.

We will be swinging by WDW on our way home from Sarasota. We called WDW Saratoga Springs and they mentioned we could charge for a few hours out front but not overnight. Our plan is to range charge in Sarasota, drive conservatively to WDW and ensure we have enough range to get to the Pt Orange SC to make our way up northeast.

Why not rent a vacation home near Disney? They have garages with AC outlets. No worrying about being ICE'ed, etc. A really nice way to spend your Disney vacation, especially if you go with another family and stay together in the same house.

I own a vacation home there and I'm planning on installing a NEMA 14-50 for guests who rent their stay there. I'm hoping to attract Tesla owners with it.

That's an excellent idea.

Maybe eventually Disney World will realize that people driving luxury electric cars that used to stay at Disney luxury resorts when visiting their theme parks are now shifting their patronage to other lodging alternatives that have electric charging.

It's very short-sighted on their part to not proactively install charging equipment at their resorts.

Larry

We will be swinging by WDW on our way home from Sarasota. We called WDW Saratoga Springs and they mentioned we could charge for a few hours out front but not overnight. Our plan is to range charge in Sarasota, drive conservatively to WDW and ensure we have enough range to get to the Pt Orange SC to make our way up northeast.

Where do you plan to do your range charge in Sarasota? There is only one hotel with overnight charging right now.

WDW Saratoga Springs is not listed on plugshare or chargepoint. What type of charger do they have? It's possible that they only have a 110 volt outlet that would be of little use to you.

I gather that your plan is just to spend the day at the theme park and not stay overnight?
There are several hotels in Orlando that have charging.

Check out this link below and zoom into the Orlando area:

Map of Florida Hotels with Electric Charging Stations

I have driven from Sarasota to the Port Orange Supercharger. You should have no problem in a 85 kWh Model S if you drive sensibly.

The only question I have is that its a two hour+ drive from Sarasota to Disney World. Then you'll presumably be spending all day there. Are you sure that you want to get back on the road to drive to Port Orange without staying the night in Orlando? If you pick the right hotel you can relax overnight and top off the car. The the next day you can keep up with traffic on the way to the Supercharger with no concerns.

Larry

Last edited:
Larry,

We will be staying at my in laws while in Sarasota. The plan was slow charging at the in laws. Noticed there is charging There are lots of golf carts around so am hoping to find an outlet to charge for a few hrs a day whilst there. When we are in Sarasota we usually go to Mote Marine Lab, St Armands Key and Marina Jacks so was figuring we will just charge while we visit our usual spots. Thank you for pointing out that a hotel would be a stress free charging option and you know what, we will be spending part of our visit at the hotel!

We are DVC members so the plan was to drive to the Disney hotel, park the Tesla and utilize Disney transportation around the parks. I was thinking 3mi/hr charge for a few hrs may keep the vampire drain at bay. According to google it is 118 miles from Sarasota to WDW and 71 miles from WDW to Port Orange, adding in range for hard driving and AC I we may just make it but to be on the safe side I will charge for a few hours at the hilton near Epcot.

Thanks again for your tips. It is truly appreciated!

Larry,

We will be staying at my in laws while in Sarasota. The plan was slow charging at the in laws. Noticed there is charging There are lots of golf carts around so am hoping to find an outlet to charge for a few hrs a day whilst there. When we are in Sarasota we usually go to Mote Marine Lab, St Armands Key and Marina Jacks so was figuring we will just charge while we visit our usual spots. Thank you for pointing out that a hotel would be a stress free charging option and you know what, we will be spending part of our visit at the hotel!

Makes sense. You seem to know your way around town. There's an HPWC at Mote, but it only charges at about 24 mph. Depending on when you visit Sarasota, the Florida House will be installing an HPWC at full capacity. If you run into an issue feel free to contact me directly at [email protected]. I have a NEMA 14-50 outlet that you can use with advance notice.

We are DVC members so the plan was to drive to the Disney hotel, park the Tesla and utilize Disney transportation around the parks. I was thinking 3mi/hr charge for a few hrs may keep the vampire drain at bay. According to google it is 118 miles from Sarasota to WDW and 71 miles from WDW to Port Orange, adding in range for hard driving and AC I we may just make it but to be on the safe side I will charge for a few hours at the hilton near Epcot.

Thanks again for your tips. It is truly appreciated!

If you have the time it would be helpful if you could mention to hotel management why it would be in their best interest to install charging equipment at their hotel. Back in March there were more than 1600 Teslas registered in the state of Florida that are capable of making the trip to their hotel. As you can atest there are thousands more Models Ss along the East Coast of the US that are capable of traveling to their hotel, provided it had overnight charging available. It should be noted that the demographics of a typical Model S owner matches up nicely with Disney luxury resorts target market.

Larry

Last edited:
Thank you for your contact Larry. I will contact you if we run into an issue and yes we plane to mention to Disney hotel management about the need for adequate EV charging for their guests. Providing Disney with the numbers of Teslas registered in FL alone as well as the number of Model S vehicles that may drive to Disney from out of state will make a difference. The largest number of Disney vacation club members at WDW are from New Jersey and their peak availability list is based on the NJ public school calendar.

Thank you for your contact Larry. I will contact you if we run into an issue and yes we plane to mention to Disney hotel management about the need for adequate EV charging for their guests. Providing Disney with the numbers of Teslas registered in FL alone as well as the number of Model S vehicles that may drive to Disney from out of state will make a difference. The largest number of Disney vacation club members at WDW are from New Jersey and their peak availability list is based on the NJ public school calendar.

DVC member in NC right here that is going to need that ability to charge once we have an X. Let them know these aren't hypothetical people. =)

Sent the following message to Walt Disney World:

We live in Naples FL and are planning a visit to Walt Disney World in June. Our friends from London are flying in and we are to meet.

EV chargers at a few of your hotels and parks would be a great convenience for us. While we are at the hotel our car could charge over night. While at one of your parks our Tesla Model S could also be charging.

Sincerely,

Roland Odenwald

Received the following response:

Dear Mr. Odenwald,

Thank you for writing to us regarding the availability of electric vehicle charging stations at the Walt
Disney World Resort.

Our Guests' feedback is very important to us, and we appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts
with us. We are pleased to let you know that limited charging stations are coming on-line at the Walt
Disney World Resort later this year. We do not have additional details to share at this time, but we
recommend periodically checking the Disney Parks Blog for the most up-to-date announcements.

Mr. Odenwald, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to future opportunities to entertain you.

Best Regards,

Victoria Kennedy
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort

I remember too. My Tesla is definitely an "E" ticket ride.........

Image 1.jpg

As a follow-up I have it from a credible source that Disney World will be installing two chargers in a new Downtown Disney parking garage in a few days. However, I believe that this is a new parking garage that is still under construction so the the chargers won't be immediately available.

Larry

Correction: Disney will be installing two twin ChargePoint chargers for a total of 4 charging positions. The new garage is planned to be in service before year-end. It is possible that it could be ready earlier. There is a second new garage also planned that will have two twin chargers as well.

Larry

As my Model S does not arrive until September, I have not used a ChargePoint yet. My questions is: when visiting Disneyland, do you leave your car parked and plugged all day in the parking garage while enjoying the parks? Any problem with that? Thanks.

As my Model S does not arrive until September, I have not used a ChargePoint yet. My questions is: when visiting Disneyland, do you leave your car parked and plugged all day in the parking garage while enjoying the parks? Any problem with that? Thanks.

That's what we're planning to do next month.

There aren't many ChargePoint locations in the Phoenix area, but BMW North Scottsdale now has one out front. I'm planning on stopping there to make sure my ChargePoint card works before we go...

That's what we're planning to do next month.

There aren't many ChargePoint locations in the Phoenix area, but BMW North Scottsdale now has one out front. I'm planning on stopping there to make sure my ChargePoint card works before we go...

Thanks. I just applied for a ChargePoint card. I am curious on how your card works. I will do as you are doing and try locally before heading out on a long road trip.

Let us know how your Disneyland ChargePoint experience was. Have fun.

You'll need to check the Chargepoint website for the specific location you plan to use. Each may be different. Although I haven't used my card yet because the hotel I stayed at in Atlanta gave me a 110v trickle charge when I was there 2 weeks ago. But the charger I planned to use at Phipps Mall was $0.85 for the first 4 hours, then $20/hour. Could get expensive.