Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disney's current position regarding electric chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, turns out my filters were set to high. When I checked PlugShare again it looks like they have 20 or 30 charging stations being finalized right now. But according to the comments, those stations wont be available until later this month :(

Here is a link to Disney's official announcement. But they say its available now. So I guess ill find out tomorrow

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-stations-now-available-at-disneyland-resort/

Yeah, a friend of mine works for Disneyland and works in or with the department that just installed these. He was saying he expects some potential backlash because all of the spots are right up front near the entrance next to the handicap stall. Don't be surprised if we start seeing ICEing of these spots.

Yeah, a friend of mine works for Disneyland and works in or with the department that just installed these. He was saying he expects some potential backlash because all of the spots are right up front near the entrance next to the handicap stall. Don't be surprised if we start seeing ICEing of these spots.

The attendants essentially choose your parking spot for you, at least if you arrive during the morning rush. So I don't think ICEing will be a problem.

It wasn't too busy there yesterday. We took the ActiveE down to the park one last time. Out of the twenty available spots, there was one Leaf actively charging and the red Model S not plugged in/charging. None were ICE'd.
image.jpg

The property owner can decide to tow cars that are not connected (rather than not charging), if they post the appropriate signage.

V C Section 22511 Off-Street Parking: Electric Vehicles

Hi Mark,

Thanks, that was very helpful.

I appreciate the distinction between charging and connected and I should have been more precise in my terminology. I meant not connected.

I would never risk the hassle and damage to my Model S by making it vunerable to towing. Whenever I am parked at a local EV space I always have it connected. That little bit of laziness could really cost that Model S owner in time and money.

Larry

Following is an email I sent to Walt Disney World Guest Experiences and the reply I received:

My wife and I are Annual Passholders and as the result of new charging
infrastructure we can now drive our Nissan Leaf to WDW. Unfortunately
there is no easy way to charge while we are in the parks. If there was
we could do many more day trips since after leaving the park the car
would be fully charged.
I understand Disney is planning charging infrastructure at Downtown
Disney. This would be a solution but there is no direct transportation
to the parks from there.
A really workable solution would be chargers at Fort Wilderness ( you
already have infrastructure for powering RVs). You also have
transportation from there to the Parks.
Another location would be your Automobile Service center as I believe
that also has transportation to the parks.
I have no problem paying a fair price for charging. I understand
Disneyland in California now has 20 chargers available for a fee.

Thank you
James Reno
Dear Mr. Reno,

Thank you for writing to us.

We appreciate your continued interest in charging stations for electric
automobiles at the Walt Disney World Resort, as well as your suggestions
for locations where chargers could be installed to optimize convenience
for our Guests. We have shared your comments with the appropriate area,
and they will be taken into consideration as we continue to evaluate our
offerings.

We thank you for your loyalty as Annual Passholders, and look forward to
future opportunities to entertain you.

Sincerely,

Emily Faye
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort

This morning I received a phone call from the Director of Environmental Initiatives at Walt Disney World. She is probably the same executive mentioned above.

She was responding to another message I sent inquiring about installation of chargers at Disney World resorts and hotels. Unfortunately she apparently wasn't in a position to provide any substantive information concerning imminent installation projects.

She did state that a team was working on the issue and that they expected chargers to be installed before the end of the year. She didn't say where.

I offerred our club's support in their initiatives.

Larry

As a follow-up I have it from a credible source that Disney World will be installing two chargers in a new Downtown Disney parking garage in a few days. However, I believe that this is a new parking garage that is still under construction so the the chargers won't be immediately available.

Larry

Last edited:
As a follow-up I have it from a credible source that Disney World will be installing two chargers in a new Downtown Disney parking garage in a few days. However, I believe that this is a new parking garage that is still under construction so the the chargers won't be immediately available.

Larry

Good work. If they are still building it and you have a contact there are they planning on putting any additional 110V outlets or maybe empty conduits to many parking spots? That was they can easily pull wire in the future.

Good work. If they are still building it and you have a contact there are they planning on putting any additional 110V outlets or maybe empty conduits to many parking spots? That was they can easily pull wire in the future.

It would of course be wise for Disney World to take this obviously prudent measure of installing empty conduits, but from my perspective they have not historically taken a prudent course in supporting EV adoption.

I am a huge fan of Disney World, but their glacial pace is truly very frustrating. Disneyland installs 20 public chargers...Disney World 2. I and many other TMC Disney advocates have repeatedly contacted Disney over the years, but Disney has steadfastly decided to cede first mover advantage to the competition. Not a prudent course of action.

With regard to free 110 volt outlets it is unlikely that they will take that route since past history at Disneyland involves installing charging equipment in which the owner pays a fee. ChargePoint equipment provide both level 1 and 2 outlets.

If I obtain any addition information I will of course post it here.

Regards,

Larry