Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DiY HomeLink Install using in car Service Mode - No need for Tesla Service or ToolBox

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here to confirm this DiY HomeLink install via in-car Service Mode still works using module part number: 1114984-00-B onto 5/23 Fremont built MYP.

Of note, had to do the power down cycle then the HL icon/set up appeared. It did not do that with just rebooting.
Turn out the module I bought is bad, got another one and it's works fine. Thanks for all the help.

• Love
Reactions: RoBoRaT and bibena
Just wanted to note that this thread has been super helpful. I got a brand new HomeLink module + bracket off eBay for a great price ($182 shipped) and just installed it in my MYLR yesterday and then set it up with our garage door opener today and it works like a charm! Saving over $150 going DIY over getting it from Tesla means I can buy more accessories, right? 🤪

Reactions: RoBoRaT
Just wanted to note that this thread has been super helpful. I got a brand new HomeLink module + bracket off eBay for a great price ($182 shipped) and just installed it in my MYLR yesterday and then set it up with our garage door opener today and it works like a charm! Saving over $150 going DIY over getting it from Tesla means I can buy more accessories, right? 🤪
Tesla is frowning and smiling at the same time …

Good info.

@turns2stone wanted to remove the HomeLink module from his 2018 Model 3 then DiY re-install to a new Model 3.

The HL module in OEM installed system in a Model 3 is in front of the crash bar behind the bumper fascia and there is no way to take the HL module without first removing the bumper fascia.

The re-install to another Model is easier since one can mount the HL module anywhere close to the HL harness inside the frunk.
Did you deactivate the port on the car that you removed from? I am selling my M3SR and I would like remove it to install on my M3P. I wonder you can just uninstall it without deactivating the port?

Did you deactivate the port on the car that you removed from? I am selling my M3SR and I would like remove it to install on my M3P. I wonder you can just uninstall it without deactivating the port?
Yes. When I originally removed mine I simply unplugged, then removed my garage from within the normal HL settings screen. Didn't have to go back into service mode to remove. Though, I eventually did to add my MyQ subscription.

At the time (2021) there is no DiY access to the Service Mode on the Model 3, so I just unplugged the module and capped the connector.

The HL icon remained on the screen, shows firing but obviously no signal goes out. I don't see any error codes/notification on the screen either.

I do not know if there is a way to un-install the HL function using in-car Service Mode.

At the time (2021) there is no DiY access to the Service Mode on the Model 3, so I just unplugged the module and capped the connector.

The HL icon remained on the screen, shows firing but obviously no signal goes out. I don't see any error codes/notification on the screen either.

I do not know if there is a way to un-install the HL function using in-car Service Mode.
Can't you just remove access to your garage so it doesn't keep firing? Sort of right before this point in the below video:

Also, the same way you add it in the "hidden" service mode you can remove it.

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Can't you just remove access to your garage so it doesn't keep firing? Sort of right before this point in the below video:

Also, the same way you add it in the "hidden" service mode you can remove it.
Yes, but I want to the HL menu item removed from the menu. So that the buyer won’t assume the car had the module installed. Did anyone try to deactivate and remove it from the menu?

Does anyone know what's the difference between part numbers 1508524-00-A and 1114984-00-B? Looking at eBay to purchase for my 2023 MY. Looking at this thread, PN 1114984-00-B seems to be the common one, but would like to confirm. Thanks!
According to this post, the A part number is for the whole kit (module + bracket + screw) and the B part number is just the module by itself.

Tip: you only need to remove the rear most bolt of the 3 and loosen the other 2. The cover has tabs that slide underneath the front 2 bolts. I learned this watching a British gent who made a detailed youtube video showing how to remove the bumper. Thank you!
Can you share the link to the video you’re referring to? I’m gonna attempt this as I don’t want to fully remove the bumper from my 2018 M3.

Also in the method, we don’t have to remove the clips at the bottom of the bumper, right?

I want to take it off from my 2018 M3 so I can add it to my 2023 MY in the frunk opening.
Successfully took off the HL module from my 2018 LRM3 without fully taking off the bumper, so much thanks for the video and instructions!!

Now I have two questions,

1. Is there a difference between HL module PN # 1114984-00-B and 1114984-00-A? The one that came off my M3 is 1114984-00-A (see attached picture).

2. Can the option to “Create HomeLink” be removed from the menu since the module is not there anymore?

Attachments

• IMG_0828.jpeg
    IMG_0828.jpeg
    996.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0830.jpeg
    IMG_0830.jpeg
    743.4 KB · Views: 60