Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DiY HomeLink Install using in car Service Mode - No need for Tesla Service or ToolBox

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a separate item selection for 2023+ Model 3 vs Model Y/2017-2022 Model 3 for the Automatic Garage Opener in the Tesla online shop.
Screenshot_20230215_065149_Samsung Internet.jpg

Is it a new HL module?

Anybody who installed module HomeLink 5 (Option 2) Part Number: 1114984-00-B on a 2023 Model 3 confirm that this module still work with 2023?

There is a separate item selection for 2023+ Model 3 vs Model Y/2017-2022 Model 3 for the Automatic Garage Opener in the Tesla online shop.View attachment 907489

Is it a new HL module?

Anybody who installed module HomeLink 5 (Option 2) Part Number: 1114984-00-B on a 2023 Model 3 confirm that this module still work with 2023?
@Jersey50 Can you tell what the difference is? Maybe just a different braket?

There is a separate item selection for 2023+ Model 3 vs Model Y/2017-2022 Model 3 for the Automatic Garage Opener in the Tesla online shop.View attachment 907489

Is it a new HL module?

As best I can tell from the parts catalog, the 3 PNs for the module, screw, and HL bracket are the same.

However, allegedly, tesla has stopped including the plastic radar mount on 2023 model 3s, which was where the homelink module and bracket mounted to…

So I suspect the 2023 model 3 kit comes with a 4th part now, that missing bracket.

If you’re DIYing a model 3 and don’t plan to remove the front bumper cover there are better mounting options available though!

For those that did DIY.....Is it possible to install the homelink module w/ bracket to oem location without taking the bumper off? Do you have to reach around to put the screw in if not (is there enough space to get your hand through?)? How do you tighten if so (by hand?) ? What do you use to tighten the screw (looks like proprietary screw)? TIA

The short answer is yes.

When I had my homelink module installed 3 years ago by the service technician, he didn't remove the bumper. He just removed the bumper cover bolts by the frunk opening, pulled the cover away a bit and reached through the gap to install the bracket and module. However I don't remember if he removed the 3 bolts on the upper corners of the bumper cover to give himself more room. Based on how long it took him to do this (~15 minutes), I doubt it.

I asked him about taking the bumper cover off and he said he had done enough of these and removing the bumper wasn't necessary.

ymmv. :D

This weekend I'm going to try to remove my hl module from the oem location in preparation of moving it to my new m3. I'm going to attempt the remove the bracket as well, but if I can't I'll either buy a new factory bracket or design and 3d print something. The 3d printed one on thingiverse has issues and could be made a lot simpler.

Either way I'm not installing it behind the bumper again.

Reactions: appleguru
You can install and remove the homelink module and bracket without taking the bumper cover off!

I just finished and it took me less than 45 minutes to relocate my homelink module behind the frunk liner. That was with me taking my time and being extra careful, along with multiple trips to get different tools, washing my hands multiple times, etc.

I did have to remove and loosen the 3 bolts on each side of the upper bumper cover. I spent about 10 minutes just trying to carefully pull the cover further and further trying to make more room for my hands, but it was to no avail. As soon as I freed the corners, the top of the cover pulled off and gave me plenty of room to work with.

Tip: you only need to remove the rear most bolt of the 3 and loosen the other 2. The cover has tabs that slide underneath the front 2 bolts. I learned this watching a British gent who made a detailed youtube video showing how to remove the bumper. Thank you!

Now I can easily remove the homelink module when switch it over to my new m3 when it arrives in 10 minutes or so.

As best I can tell from the parts catalog, the 3 PNs for the module, screw, and HL bracket are the same.

However, allegedly, tesla has stopped including the plastic radar mount on 2023 model 3s, which was where the homelink module and bracket mounted to…

So I suspect the 2023 model 3 kit comes with a 4th part now, that missing bracket.

If you’re DIYing a model 3 and don’t plan to remove the front bumper cover there are better mounting options available though!
The 2023 Model 3 is the same as a 2020 in regards to mounting, etc.

Did this retrofit on my 2023 Model 3 today, easy peasy. I ended up vhb'ing the HL unit to the crash bar, no bracket/weird bolt needed (vhb is used to hold skyscraper windows in so I trust it, lol). Referred to photo on Roborat's post #19. Rheckbert3's posts #102 & 103 were super helpful, as well.

Programmed both my garage door opener & gate opener, have them both set to open automagically when the car's in proximity. And in case anyone's searching, it does work with the Ghost Controls gate opener :)

• Funny
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Anyone know what I'm doing wrong (2023 MYP)? Homelink icon not showing up at all, still MyQ. Even done the power off (safety > power off) waiting
several times waiting 2, 4, 6 mins and still nothing. Is there another power off / power cycle / computer reboot step I'm missing?

Steps taken:
Version: 2023.2.12a
  1. Installed 1508524-00-A (comes with module, bracket, bolt) on my 2023 Model Y Performance.
  2. Service mode > Low voltage > homelink enabled. Watch unit restart
  3. Service mode > tested homelink with success
  4. Exited service mode
  5. Two button restart
  6. Power off via safety > power off waiting 2 to several mins
Still no icon

Additional Software does show the homelink enabled: HomeLink 5 (Opt 2).

I've even went back into service and re-toggled homelink to false, to then back on
Even redone it toggled it back on, left it in service mode. Watched it reboot. Got out of the car to let "reboot" (didn't see anything different) per the message before unlocking mentions if not seeing the icon, still nothing.
Several power offs still nothing. Almost like it's not powering off (idk what to expect).
Pressing the brake pedal after power off and waiting, the screen comes back up quickly like just waking up.
Power off method / Perform Power Cycle:
  1. Shift into Park.
  2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety > Power Off.
  3. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
  4. After two minutes, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.
Thank you all for reading this and helping out. Really appreciate all the posts and steps here to help everyone out, amazing!!

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong (2023 MYP)? Homelink icon not showing up at all, still MyQ. Even done the power off (safety > power off) waiting
several times waiting 2, 4, 6 mins and still nothing. Is there another power off / power cycle / computer reboot step I'm missing?

Steps taken:
Version: 2023.2.12a
  1. Installed 1508524-00-A (comes with module, bracket, bolt) on my 2023 Model Y Performance.
  2. Service mode > Low voltage > homelink enabled. Watch unit restart
  3. Service mode > tested homelink with success
  4. Exited service mode
  5. Two button restart
  6. Power off via safety > power off waiting 2 to several mins
Still no icon

Additional Software does show the homelink enabled: HomeLink 5 (Opt 2).

I've even went back into service and re-toggled homelink to false, to then back on
Even redone it toggled it back on, left it in service mode. Watched it reboot. Got out of the car to let "reboot" (didn't see anything different) per the message before unlocking mentions if not seeing the icon, still nothing.
Several power offs still nothing. Almost like it's not powering off (idk what to expect).
Pressing the brake pedal after power off and waiting, the screen comes back up quickly like just waking up.
Power off method / Perform Power Cycle:
  1. Shift into Park.
  2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety > Power Off.
  3. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
  4. After two minutes, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.
Thank you all for reading this and helping out. Really appreciate all the posts and steps here to help everyone out, amazing!!
That is unusual.

First, see if you have the HomeLink Control function:
Controls screen, then touch Garage Icon, HomeLink Settings.

If garage icon in Control is not showing, then:

Try un-link the MyQ (can be re-linked later) from your account, reboot, and see if that shows the HomeLink Garage Opener icon. I assume that you have MyQ linked (trial or paid subscription).

Also verify that you have the correct HomeLink module part number: 1114984-00-B.

Attachments

• 20230312_090354.jpg
    20230312_090354.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Thank you for replying!

I think it's either I'm a complete moron or they changed it recently. I originally didn't see a homelink icon from the other examples. Now it shows UNDER the same looking icon before but showing both MyQ and HomeLink.

If this was how it was, then I'm just an idiot who ruled it not working since I didn't see a green HomeLink icon or one at all. I guess you just have to set it up first which I'm truly sorry for the bother here but hope this helps others

Reactions: lensovet
Thank you for replying!

I think it's either I'm a complete moron or they changed it recently. I originally didn't see a homelink icon from the other examples. Now it shows UNDER the same looking icon before but showing both MyQ and HomeLink.

If this was how it was, then I'm just an idiot who ruled it not working since I didn't see a green HomeLink icon or one at all. I guess you just have to set it up first which I'm truly sorry for the bother here but hope this helps others
It happens to the best of us! 😜
Glad it all work out.

Very kind of you all and I'm so grateful for of all the support and this forum! Here's a screenshot of what one should see after install and where the HomeLink icon should show up now (if it has changed or not). It's all under the same icon as before, again my bad if that's how it was!!!

I was expecting just to see the previous garage icon to go away and the new garage with the up arrow to replace it. Looks like that only happens AFTER you set it up with your garage. Again my bad if that's how it was and I just couldn't follow simple directions!!
PAMl2CJSrkM6WDTxxwGXD6CgLUceE8OmB_SIymtmjKncBa4cJ1OLmREOchWwvbHLAIqC3uZrt_l_ZdGnUAHFpgJLxJDmxQydueft5yOcIG1_OosZYbOFqTFcQdBQnSvFbTClNYJrm-zEb3xu62yjv7EyxKykitO_X-CkAGhFXqscoSEGFRb3C-e-_D1YvoxNATY5lh5n-41xzJZyq19esOECbdR_sS1WcntQRCGuElsE638JCI7y_HFDvenvbAfzS8vtOCb6xEjjHal8MXM6YZh0JLiIWpiWWkGQc9N1vm0Z0yS-SFeMK6owba8iIvU0M2DT2T5AY1uSBUkGnDgyKYku0lXJMwbaomPClYHN3urFVa1v0X2hbJrv76D-ntMvY_fPb_mFVxsmnEYdho3cIRw0XWOQ96Y-TNd3zuLv2T3fakm9dEQ0QXfsvqLCZQ5CIVJJ-z7pOgcmazUSklzqdxRf40qCHBGJTRpjRyyIlv-jBIz2F2h4_JA9s5A_UsGuI0G0QqyKw6SIvGDWymVlY5pOllQIhYxPxEaGwUf-sAh8RtsYYBtCgAotj2x_ueAGKfua7HalBc5lduflFxonjAQQk3oEh2PAY5bmPZACyqlbXfjkPselnAZAyjlB9Yopc9nwm6plklltGId4WBa2BcPJHQ2hZ67Pr1WkmU_z6SdnyVZJpO6UDCoZi4GK5iLzAmVPa6-R26Y8L43FN6Q6e3raZk3X5roDBKK9iIdm0gBsPlMLps5ENtrukj2KO-wPFphZ9rrs5B2J2vUDX1nNPLDcHL_QT5pBnO8DJElnupAF12T06tdd2SThEx-ank6jU2VzWBMXwgVxTNW7sFetmsH2KmURrOcpRdNxMbEu1gewcGayFZ5qx6wCUisE4nIH5m9N85_uywjP02c5JaAhuXc-WsprCefFdDu9fr0xoFTwNL38pvbwAPXfJUymPrJJxQ7BdK5Y_j7z2_uVix9gRMc=w780-h1040-no