Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY LTE Upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@EZBoy : Are you in the market to buy one?
I actually need the EU version, last time I checked in June, it was a Restricted part. Now I don’t see it in the list of part even.

by the way, I have 1 3G and 1 lte North American SIM cards for sale left from eu conversions. Not sure if it will work in other teslas, but I have a strong feeling they will. Both are lifetime premium connectivity

Reactions: SigRed12
I had my 2015 Model S' MCU upgraded to V2 for the LTE/4G in Mar2021. MCU performance overall was significantly improved - well worth the cost.

However, about 6 moths ago I started getting messages from TEsla saying the SIM need updating. When I pointed out I had had the MCU2 upgrade they changed their mind and said it didn't need replacing. 4 months ago I lost Premium Connectivity (PC - came with the car for life) and when I raised a service request with Tesla they stuck to their 'SIM does not need updating due to MCU2' story.

HV battery failed in Jan2024 and I had to get the car flat-bedded to Glasgow SC for replacement which turned into a complete (very poor service experience) fiasco - and whilst it was there asked them to figure out why the car had no PC (if it wasn't the SIM)...

I got my car back relatively quickly - but probably only because I opted for a 'slightly reduced range' remanufactured battery as they could not give me any idea how long I'd have to wait for a 'full capacity' one (seriously?!).

Needless to say, by the time it got back here (I live on a remote island off the west coast of Scotland) PC was still absent. I raised yet another service request and they finally admitted the SIM *does* need replacing (FCOL!). So, as I have no plans to return to the mainland any time soon I have requested they send me the SIM to install (having previously successfully repaired the MCU eMMC issue myself again due to my remotness) and they have agreed to send me the SIM (no cost).

Stand by for an update...