Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY solution to deadening tire noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone who is interested, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires are much quieter than the Michelin Primacy in the 19" size. I replaced my Primacies with the A/S 3 and the noise difference is unbelievable. The inside of my car has gone from Volkswagen quiet to Lexus quiet.

I am wondering if the Primacy tires have gotten louder as they reach the end of their life. I personally have noticed this in the past in other vehicles as the worn out tires make much more noise than the same tires when I have purchased an identical new set.

Do you think there is anything to this in your comparison? I'm also looking for a very quiet tire, but I have recently been running new 19" Primacy tires coming from my 21" PS2s.

I am wondering if the Primacy tires have gotten louder as they reach the end of their life. I personally have noticed this in the past in other vehicles as the worn out tires make much more noise than the same tires when I have purchased an identical new set.

Do you think there is anything to this in your comparison? I'm also looking for a very quiet tire, but I have recently been running new 19" Primacy tires coming from my 21" PS2s.

I remember thinking that the Primacies were noisy and bumpy when brand new. It's been a long-standing issue I've had with that tire on the Model S. I don't remember the Primacies being this quiet when new, but of course anything is possible.

Try this. Close the door on a bill. If you can easily pull the bill with the door closed, the triangular window needs adjustment.

Also sometimes tire noise sounds a lot like wind noise. I really thought I had a bad wind noise until I drove over the 2 km of good pavement we have here and the noise completely stopped :)

I had inadvertently sidetracked this thread a bit some time ago. So my follow-up to this is posted in a more appropriate thread. It's here: Service Bulletin for Wind Noise Issue on P85D

Warning: This is for information only and anyone doing an installation of foam in tires is responsible for any consequences of a failed installation or any other related problems, including damage to the car, wheels, tires, and any other parts of the car. This information has not been authorized, reviewed, or in any other way sanctioned by Tesla Motors.

Here are the parts, tools, and instructions for the foam installation.

Tools, parts, and aides needed:

· The Foam Factory: Acoustic Foam – Eggcrate, 48" x 72" x 2-1/2" - 2-Pack

1 gallon Dap 25316 Weldwood Gel Formula Contact Cement

· 1 4” brush for applying contact cement

· I paint tray with plastic liner for contact cement

· Large flat work surface for cutting foam strips and applying contact cement to foam

· A place to set the tires upright at a convenient height for brushing on the contact cement to the inside of tires. An old outdoor chair with arms is good for this purpose.

· 6 dowels cut to sufficient width to separate the tire edges while the foam is placed in position

First, thank you Artsci for this, F*** awesome!

One question to the people that tried this: Any comments regarding durability?
Thanks

Just popped into this thread. Why aren't people just getting ContiSilent's? They come in 245/35R21.

Did you see the R & T test? They don't make much difference. That was my impression from my test and I used thicker acoustical foam. I've concluded that this is just another gimmick: add a couple of dollars of foam to a tire, charge a lot more for the tire, make a lot of bogus claims, and make a lot more money from a small additional cost.

• Love
Reactions: alexGS
@artsci I've just read 16 pages start to finish of your thread... and it plays like a thriller... or perhaps, more accurately, the Aviator with Leonardo DiCaprio. Lol... I also have your affliction, and have personally tested and spent gobs of money trying to make a canoe 1 mph faster by testing several different materials and hull shapes only to sell the ungodly creation and buy a Hobie.

Anyway, I'm happy to share my insights on faster canoes, but I'm very interested to hear your recipe for a quieter model S, down to the painters tape over the seams in the car.... How would you approach this project now with the knowledge you've gained? Also, do you think the noise cancellation strategy mentioned in previous posts is doable with anything on the market?

Reactions: ICUDoc
I found the conti silent tires much quieter than the OEM extreme contact tires.

Show me the data that proves it's not a bias affect. I have the Michelin foam tires on my car now and my ears tell they're louder than the Michelins I had before. But I have no data to prove it, only my subjective judgment. So I won't stand by it.

@artsci I've just read 16 pages start to finish of your thread... and it plays like a thriller... or perhaps, more accurately, the Aviator with Leonardo DiCaprio. Lol... I also have your affliction, and have personally tested and spent gobs of money trying to make a canoe 1 mph faster by testing several different materials and hull shapes only to sell the ungodly creation and buy a Hobie.

Anyway, I'm happy to share my insights on faster canoes, but I'm very interested to hear your recipe for a quieter model S, down to the painters tape over the seams in the car.... How would you approach this project now with the knowledge you've gained? Also, do you think the noise cancellation strategy mentioned in previous posts is doable with anything on the market?

My attempts at lining the tires with foam proved futile and I spent a lot of money, time, and effort giving it a go.

As far as noise cancellation of the car itself I understand newer cars are far better than my P85. My work was done by one of the leading experts in the field, and he did not use painters tape (and I can't imagine the stuff makes any difference, as it's just very thin paper tape). But everything else was done -- doors, floor, trunk, frunk, liftgate, wheel wells, HVAC channels, even the front of the roof -- as my original post illustrates. I'm now three years into the modified car and it's held up very well. The tires remain the largest source of noise and the foam makes very little difference. Maybe there are some other minor fixes but in terms of value I've concluded they're not worth pursuing, at least for me. For example, I've given up on trying to reduce the minor wind noise at high speeds. Tesla has done some fixes, which helped and were covered under warranty, but I don't think I can do much more to my car to make it even more quiet.

Everything I've read about dampening tire noise suggests the best solution might some kind of lining on the inside of the wheels, which resonate and amplify the noise. And of the design of the tires themselves can make a very substantial difference. The 20" Pirelli Cinturato tires were by far the quietest I've had on the car, and long lasting as well. But they involved major compromises in grip and handling.

I wonder how hot does a rotating tire at highway speed in the summer? But even if it becomes detached, the weight of the foam bunching up on one end is only going to add a 100 gram in a wheel that weighs 30+ pounds?

My original attempt to line the tires with foam resulted in the foam becoming detached and bunching up, as you suggested. But the result was a disaster. Even with the light weight of the foam, when I got over about 35mph there was horrible front end vibration, so bad it felt like a serious safety risk. So I immediately removed the foam. Tried it again with better glue and it didn't happen again, but I still made very little difference in dampening tire noise.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Does anyone know where the final amplification points tend to be with tire noise? After resonating through the hubs, etc. would we be talking about plastic things in the cabin rapidly oscillating? or are we thinking the main final conduction points are where air suspension and other attachments are made? Because the battery is so dense, I imagine that is an incredible factor in spreading tire noise evenly from front to back.... I happened to pull behind a car transporter yesterday holding a Tesla and the bottom of the car kind of blew me away.... so aerodynamic compared to the other cars on the carrier ... still room for improvement though, I’m surprised a hypermiler hasn’t gone underneath the car and smoothed out a few of the small pockets.... anyway back to noise....
i ask this question because looking at the bottom of the car, the suspension appeared to be a more likely conductor than the axle.... almost like a drumstick just waiting to cause rumbling in our little ears in our Tesla’s :)

I remember talking to a sound engineer about car noise at a summer party and he thought it'd be much more cost efficient and easier to test thicker/heavier wheel arches first and then try the foam tire approach. But I'm sure artsci already tried this.

Last edited: